The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

I'm hoping to have nearly all the parts in the next few weeks (short of the booster). But here's the thing. I have a vintage emitter/BP and what I understand is a Roman's adapter cone - which doesn't fit. Not sure if the balance pipe is not quite the normal shape, or what - does anyone have any advice on getting the cone to fit in the emitter?

I'm hoping to have nearly all the parts in the next few weeks (short of the booster). But here's the thing. I have a vintage emitter/BP and what I understand is a Roman's adapter cone - which doesn't fit. Not sure if the balance pipe is not quite the normal shape, or what - does anyone have any advice on getting the cone to fit in the emitter?

I had to sand my romans adaptor down a little [emoji106]. Remember it’s a pressure fit, so you want it to feel juuuuust the tiniest smidge too big. Pop it in your freezer, then drop it in the BP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to sand my romans adaptor down a little [emoji106]. Remember it’s a pressure fit, so you want it to feel juuuuust the tiniest smidge too big. Pop it in your freezer, then drop it in the BP.

Thanks @Veektohr. I tried the freezer thing (science background!) but it still didn't fit. What did you use to sand it?

Thanks @Veektohr. I tried the freezer thing (science background!) but it still didn't fit. What did you use to sand it?

you could put a threaded rod in (and some nuts on both sides to keep it in place) and spin it in a drill. Hold the sandpaper or file against it and you should get a pretty even sanding job.

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4340/36935478256_87702547d3_o.jpg[/url]

Here's a break up of all the vintage parts involved and their origin in the real world

Chaïm

I wonder if you could help? I've been in cahoots with Roy gilsing and trying to establish some accurate dimensions. He has been extremely helpful but from a machinists pov more dimensions are required.

Seeing as this thread is dedicated to original part builds, could anyone measure up their hilt for some accurate dimensions to be ascertained?

I'm having particular difficulties with the balance pipe, windvane section and booster. If anyone is willing to assist me it would be much appreciated

Sam

Hi Sam,

Welcome aboard ... my own OB1 ANH is still in pieces ... and I have a male converted into female balance pipe so it's slightly off in dimensions and my grenade is quite different from most shapewise and as seen in the Mechanismo book ... so perhaps members who have put theirs together teecrooz, russellsch etcetera with the most accurate parts could chime in and give you some more accurate measurements. Also russrep just joined this forum again and he did a run of parts in the past based on real parts ... perhaps he can provide you some measurements or parfaitelumiere he is also quite knowledgeable and a machinist of certain parts himself :)

Chaïm

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sam,

Welcome aboard ... my own OB1 ANH is still in pieces ... and I have a male converted into female balance pipe so it's slightly off in dimensions and my grenade is quite different from most shapewise and as seen in the Mechanismo book ... so perhaps members who have put theirs together @teecrooz, @russellsch etcetera with the most accurate parts could chime in and give you some more accurate measurements. Also @russrep just joined this forum again and he did a run of parts in the past based on real parts ... perhaps he can provide you some measurements or @parfaitelumiere he is also quite knowledgeable and a machinist of certain parts himself :)

Chaïm

Ahhhh. First I heard about the converted male being a little bit different in dimensions. I am in the exact same escape pod on that score. ;-)

And like you, my friend, mine is a pile of pieces until I get my hands on the end of a certain machine gun. ;-)

But it would be useful to know what I need to do differently to make my re-identified BP vent to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's the outer width that is slightly less than a female balance pipe ... only by millimeters though. Calling teecrooz he's got more than one of each :)

Chaïm

Here is what I remember.
Russrep, id 26,3mm, outer 55mm, groove on front 3m deep
original female, engine from 2013 id 26 or so, outer 56mm groove 2mm
original male, engine from 2013 id 26, outer 54(? not sure to remember)mm

I remember I used russrep as reference for my self made emitter, before getting real stuff and was really sade to see how different these were.
in the end it's not so bad, my self made is much sharper than original stuff and I like it.

It could be interesting to have measurments of female and males from first and last engine, also the new old stock one from a member here, and check if measurments have variations, probably outer diameter and groove could vary, I see no reason males to be smaller than female except machining variations when series were made, same for groove depth, they probably set the machine and tools and let's go, making some variations.

Last edited:
I don't have anything for taking precise measurements, at least with any exact numbers a machinist would need.
& I had no idea my converted BP was, all be it a tad, thicker than a real female BP. I swear I learn something new all the time here :cheers.

I still have yet to assemble mine fully. I'm still looking for a recoil booster. & the more I look at my grenade, I don't know if I can dirty it up. It's so perfect! Looks like it was just made. I go back & forth on that decision though. But, if another pops up somewhere, & im able to, I'll jump on it, along with a real female BP.

If you need weathering on new stuff or accuracy I can do it, but I am in France, so you will have to count shipping cost to me and shipping cost back (about 30$) and price for comission depending on what I have to do.
Some romans grenades can be very good once weathered, same for boosters.
The best combo I would suggest for a good accuracy-price compromise is real pommel clamp bubble and transistors, romans booster grenade and emitter, as original are very expensive, or not accurate, or both.

After reading the first post in the thread Teecrooz linked to, I had to laugh. After getting my (formerly male) BP back from getting its "surgery" from Roman, I've been trying to re-darken the - now female- inner ring for a while now. I was happy to read that info, cause nothin I was trying was working. I tried smoke-blacking, a torch, hell I even tried gasoline & fire. Nothing even put a mark on it :lol.
So, I finally kinda gave up & went to my "last resort" & painted it. I tried matching the color & texture of the rest of it, cause it's not just blackened. There's different shades, light & dark, heavier & lighter fuel residue areas, as well as scratches. It's not just simply black.
20180110_175159.jpg

I still don't have anything to measure it, other than a tape measure. & I know machinists need more precision. So, I'd go with what others say.

Hey russellsch ! Head on over to your local Harbor Freight and pick up one of these...

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-...sae-and-metric-fractional-readings-68304.html

They have coupons all over (newspapers, mail fliers, online, via email, and even in their front entryway!).

You should be able to get them with a 20% off coupon and get a flashlight or screwdriver set for free (depending on your coupon set).

Occasionally they go on sale for 50% off, you just have to watch the fliers for the sale.

I've always thought some of the patinas on the Balance Pipes look like cocoa powder. Just be mindful if you use it on your lightsaber that you might become forgetful and end up licking it if you're hungry! ;)

Afternoon all, I think I posted in the wrong “real parts” group earlier so thanks to Sym-Cha for the redirect.

Fantastic builds here; very inspiring how you’ve all managed to get this stuff together.

I’m working on my own and it’s coming along, slowly but surely. figured I’d join in on the fun and document my progress. Need to get the AS wheel chromed and obviously still need a balance pipe and booster, as I know many do. But if anyone has any leads, please let me know! Cheers!

F1DEFEB5-DF15-4248-A4E9-A3B441CFA883.jpeg

Afternoon all, I think I posted in the wrong “real parts” group earlier so thanks to @Sym-Cha for the redirect.

Fantastic builds here; very inspiring how you’ve all managed to get this stuff together.

I’m working on my own and it’s coming along, slowly but surely. figured I’d join in on the fun and document my progress. Need to get the AS wheel chromed and obviously still need a balance pipe and booster, as I know many do. But if anyone has any leads, please let me know! Cheers!

View attachment 786667

You're off to a great start so far! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

You can still send it to me if you want a illusive finish on it, I can charge only a small amount for it, the most expensive will b shipping cost.

Very tempting. But, I think I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along. Thank you for the offer though :cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great Russell!!

Thanks buddy! :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back