Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber?

The rust on the bottom half is a tell, last I checked brass doesn't rust. He's also claimed it's a real graflex, so either he doesn't know or he's lying. So far no new pics of his prop or any new promo pics with it in the pic.

I'm curious to see how many grips it has as well ... a picture of the D-ring should reveal this. I always try to keep an open mind so I compared the blurry pictures next to the famous toe-pic and another ANH lightsaber ... what strikes me as curious is the bubblestrip and the rounded T-tracks as well as the hiatus between the grips ... indeed one would expect perfectly sharp pictures if one makes claims as to pedigree of a prop :wacko

Chaïm

ScottJua pointed out one pretty interesting fact...

...nickle plated brass doesn't rust.

Now I’m confused. I thought the prevailing consensus was brushed chrome (not nickel) over brass?

Either way, his point still stands cause I don’t think either one rusts. But I’m still curious anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for one second do I think this saber is genuine, but FWIW I once had a Graflex upper that had a fine layer of rust. Perhaps Nickel oxydation that looked like rust....or some dirt/contaminant on the surface....

Not for one second do I think this saber is genuine, but FWIW I once had a Graflex upper that had a fine layer of rust. Perhaps Nickel oxydation that looked like rust....or some dirt/contaminant on the surface....

You know i didn’t want to say anything but since you broke the ice. I have seen many vintages on eBay with rusty uppers/ bottoms

And yes they were real vintages... I think people using stuff like Brillo pads to clean it leaves behind metal fibers that get stuck in the grain, those fibers then rust

No way am I defending the guy claiming it’s real, I’m just defending the fact that I’ve even seen aluminum and stainless rust by having metal fibers stuck in the grain

Check it... REAL graflex tops and bottoms DO NOT RUST. No way, no how.

Clamps, can develop rust because under that plating they are steel. The bunny ears/bulb clamp... also steel and can rust under the plating and leak through.

Now the plating on the brass CAN on the surface, show rust from contact with OTHER rusting steel, but almost always can be wiped right off. MOST of what you see is just some corrosion from old adhesives, battery acid, etc. and NOT rust coming through the plating. Anyone touting that they have a real graflex where the tops and bottoms are rusty from age is full of baloney.

Homeboy is a scammer, and a complete liar. There I said it. He's lying... straight up. That's not a screen used or production prop, no way, no how. Check out that article posted. The guy stole from his own mother... a lot! Come on... there's no question.

Someone mentioned Icons...

Is it me, or do the brass pins on the side look closer together like the ones on the Icons saber?

That guy got turned out by the posting of his crime on his thread. How do come back from that. Ouch.

I had a graflex bottom once that did have rust on it that wouldn't wipe off.
It was quite subtle, but definitely little rust blisters. That said, a bottom with extensive rust is probably fake.

Chrome and plating corrosion is real of course, but in the graflexes case since there's no steel under it to rust, it's from a foreign contaminant. If the plating blistered then there's no coming back from the blister but it's not the plating or underlying metal actually rusting and would never be like that frauds picture. It's from elsewhere and can be removed.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back