Fake Luke ESB Hero Lightsaber?

newmagrathea

Sr Member
Hey guys,

I'm in a movie prop group on facebook, and I'm sure at least a couple of you might be in it too. It's for real movie props, not replicas. Anyway there is a guy that is claiming that he has one of the original ESB Luke lightsabers. I've called him out on it but he's not backing down, in fact a friend of his is backing him up on it. I don't believe his friend either because he claims he has Obi-Wan's ANH lightsaber. So I was hoping that some of you would confirm the fact that I'm not crazy.

Here is what he is claiming as a real ESB Lightsaber used for promo shoots. (try not to laugh) See how many problems you can spot.

Screenshot 2017-12-04 12.37.01.png

Here are the individual pics in that post.
bsLightsaber1.jpgbsLightsaber2.jpgbsRef.jpg

Last edited:
I’m also on the group you mentioned and I was literally just reading through that particular post. I was under the impression he is saying that it was used for the promo photoshoots not actually used in the films? Or did I pick that up wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one used in the second set of photoshoots was the “Ranch” saber. I think more photos were taken of Mark in the ANH costume post ESB for some reason, his face is pretty clearly different because of the car crash he was in. The textured tape and red button in the socket show that it is the Ranch saber. Also, I think it has been confirmed that the ANH sabers were all stripped of there parts and returned to the London camera shop Roger Christian rented them from. They kept some from ESB, but that is clearly not one.
46f1151bc08355023354e6b76486f4b7.png
99f343606e5a0d931f6c105f7eaaa097.png

He did mention that, but his promo pic does not match. He hasn't posted anything to confirm it, just saying he has some paper from some auction house. I haven't seen anything that makes me think this is credible.

I’m also on the group you mentioned and I was literally just reading through that particular post. I was under the impression he is saying that it was used for the promo photoshoots not actually used in the films? Or did I pick that up wrong?

He did mention that, but his promo pic does not match. He hasn't posted anything to confirm it, just saying he has some paper from some auction house. I haven't seen anything that makes me think this is credible.

That’s fair enough, just with you saying In your original post that he claimed it was “screen used”. I agree there seems to be issues with it even being used for promo’s without proof too. But I’m no expert so I can’t really say.

Oh right so I did. I'll fix that. Thanks:)

That’s fair enough, just with you saying In your original post that he claimed it was “screen used”. I agree there seems to be issues with it even being used for promo’s without proof too. But I’m no expert so I can’t really say.

The one used in the second set of photoshoots was the “Ranch” saber. I think more photos were taken of Mark in the ANH costume post ESB for some reason, his face is pretty clearly different because of the car crash he was in. The textured tape and red button in the socket show that it is the Ranch saber. Also, I think it has been confirmed that the ANH sabers were all stripped of there parts and returned to the London camera shop Roger Christian rented them from. They kept some from ESB, but that is clearly not one. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/46f1151bc08355023354e6b76486f4b7.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/99f343606e5a0d931f6c105f7eaaa097.png

This is amazing!! U don’t happen to have more pictures of Luke in ANH cloths with dagobah saber do you?

I think someone already did. But if not I will. :thumbsup He's already dodged posting more pics once by saying he didn't have the saber with him. I found that comment pretty odd. Also all the pics he posted are blurry. Seems like if you can afford a prop like that than you can afford a decent camera, even the one on a phone should be enough.

@newmagrathea Could you ask him to post a picture of the D-ring, please?

Chaïm

I'm curious to see how many grips it has as well ... a picture of the D-ring should reveal this. I always try to keep an open mind so I compared the blurry pictures next to the famous toe-pic and another ANH lightsaber ... what strikes me as curious is the bubblestrip and the rounded T-tracks as well as the hiatus between the grips ... indeed one would expect perfectly sharp pictures if one makes claims as to pedigree of a prop :wacko

Chaïm

Well, another person in the group messaged me and sent me this link about the guy. I think this is a nail in the coffin as to his credibility.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/704226/son-stole-80k-mother-jailed

And another person posted this: "I assume that Steve is the same Steve Wickenden who bought the Elstree Props business and the Danziger collection, and now runs a hire business with his Back to the Future DeLorean conversion. Elstree Props was under his tenure when the Golden Gun was stolen from there."

Last edited by a moderator:
The one used in the second set of photoshoots was the “Ranch” saber. I think more photos were taken of Mark in the ANH costume post ESB for some reason, his face is pretty clearly different because of the car crash he was in. The textured tape and red button in the socket show that it is the Ranch saber. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/46f1151bc08355023354e6b76486f4b7.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171204/99f343606e5a0d931f6c105f7eaaa097.png
Treadwell is correct. This photoshoot was during the Holiday Special, and Mark is actually holding the Holiday Special saber, and they later "photoshopped" the Ranch saber over it. Here's a crop of his hands from those two shots holding the Holiday Special saber.

holiday2-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back