Upside-down Kobold?

this is why i always say "you' da man!!"

also with some quick digging, it looks like luke wears 2 different belts through out the film. hoth and bespin belt the same, dagobah a different belt. still looking though

Did you halliwax or anyone notice the additional 2 saberclips beneath the collar of Luke's flightsuit?

19478017_10213839633052010_790223168_n_zpsnttnto8f.png

Chaïm

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if they just taped a blade to the belt hanger for this. it got way too much up close screen time for a fighting stunt to be used

ok gang i got some free time, loving all the collected info! so we now have a picture of the small black screws!! is it safe to say only the dagobah saber had the small screws? the r2 bump scene, can we confirm in that pic there isn't small black screws? i know the r2 bump scene was heavily debated, but now with this hi-def pic gino posted (thanks gino!!) it really makes me think differently now

another thing i was thinking of last night, since the saber that is pulled out of the snow in the wampa cave has the same black screw/mark on the clamp as the dagobah saber. maybe with the screw removed that is the black hole we are seeing?!

as for 1 of props, didnt solo have his 2 belts in ESB, the ANH belt and a new ESB belt? can we confirm luke had multiple belts as well? or was luke only using his celebration belt from ANH through out ESB.

im not trying to "defend" my 1 belt hanger theory through out the film anymore, because i think we now have at least 2 we know of. and i understand the logic behind NOT having only 1 hero BUT multiple films, including star wars has only had 1 hero. the V2 is a classic example, han's live fire in ANH, films even today still only rock 1 hero. heck look at the first transformers, they used chevys concept Camaro through out that whole first film, and there was only 1 in the world, another movie where there was only 1 car in the world was "hit and run" and that sucker did all the stunts in the film as well.

even though i personally think its idiotic to only have 1 hero, it is done very commonly and still today. (this quickly came to mind) but Kick-ass2 all the super heros aside from hit girl, and kickass had only 1 suit.

i dont find it hard to believe by this time in production we only had 1 hero, BUT with new evidence i think its safe to say there is at least 1 more. with all these different stunt variants i could see them grabbing another graflex and doing what they had to to make it work. the stunt in dagobah had both red buttons

just out of curiosity, anyone have the picture of behind the scenes with luke hanging and the saber in the snow, was that a stunt with the blade in the snow, and a guy moving the saber by giggling the blade?

another question i had was besides the promo photos we have with the back ground color drops, any idea when exactly those were taken? basically what im saying is, do we know if they did anything like they did with ANH and took promo photos after (harrisons fords hair cut change) or were all these promos taken during filming?

love all the team work going into this :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

is my mind playing tricks on me, or do i see small black screws in the grip far right?

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/TrioESB_zps7eaad61b.jpg~original

yes it's fooling you with that one shiny reflection. I can confirm this saber has NO smaller secondary screws.

Also, Gino has the measure of it. The ranch bottom can is a match for the Dagobah belt hanger, but it's a patent graflex. It's NOT the Wampa cave saber, or the other belt hanger that's more commonly seen throughout the film.

The ranch saber seems to be the dagobah bottom can, plus a new clamp and new top. The scratches and blemishes don't match at all for those parts. At some point, as Gino points out, the Kobold was re-attached upside down... who knows why or when for sure, but so far I can't see any evidence that it was upside down for filming. Possibly it was re-dressed when getting ready for ROTJ as one of them showed up on Day 1 filming.

One thing to watch for throughout production is the D ring itself on each different saber. Completely different shapes.

yes it's fooling you with that one shiny reflection. I can confirm this saber has NO smaller secondary screws.

Also, Gino has the measure of it. The ranch bottom can is a match for the Dagobah belt hanger, but it's a patent graflex. It's NOT the Wampa cave saber, or the other belt hanger that's more commonly seen throughout the film.

The ranch saber seems to be the dagobah bottom can, plus a new clamp and new top. The scratches and blemishes don't match at all for those parts. At some point, as Gino points out, the Kobold was re-attached upside down... who knows why or when for sure, but so far I can't see any evidence that it was upside down for filming. Possibly it was re-dressed when getting ready for ROTJ as one of them showed up on Day 1 filming.

One thing to watch for throughout production is the D ring itself on each different saber. Completely different shapes

i have noticed this, and though it was only because of re attaching to the belt clip and it changing shape, the wampa cave saber has the most awkward d ring bends ive ever seen!

so you think there is at least 3 belt hangers scott?

thank you for chiming :thumbsup

One thing to watch for throughout production is the D ring itself on each different saber. Completely different shapes.

I’m so glad you said this about the D rings because I’ve been looking a lot at that very thing but thought I might just be nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We say "stunt" as a generic term, but really, there's three different types-- the ones used for duels, the ones with shorter blades like this one and the Yuma when it's swung around other performers, and ones used for actor falls (Luke jumping against the side of the barge), throwing, etc.

i sometimes get confused too.. i always think of stunt as the ANH stunts, with spinning motors..

stunts

resin stunts

short blades

swing blades

you heard it here first folks! :rolleyes

- - - Updated - - -

I’m so glad you said this about the D rings because I’ve been looking a lot at that very thing but thought I might just be nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where have you been all day buddy, you missed all the action! we've been comparing photos all night :popcorn

where have you been all day buddy, you missed all the action! we've been comparing photos all night :popcorn

Ha, I see that! Excited to absorb all the new info and expert opinions. But was good to give my brain a rest with a hockey game and some beverages.

so, my logic tells me the wampa cave saber wasnt a belt hanger, since the socket/top half had to be rigged for the stunt blade

If that Wampa stunt blade is the same as this one from Bespin - which I only suspect based on the tightly pressed bunny ears as a common trait on both - the socket is indeed cut on the other side. Not sure if that’s a reasonable assumption but figured I’d throw it out there. IMG_1823.JPGIMG_1762.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if this is just a pose for a publicity shot or for real filming because the lens of that camera is only capturing white Wampa fur up close :wacko

Chaïm

it’s interesting timing we are looking at this now cause just 4 days ago Mark Hamill tweeted about this scene playfully upset about the amputation which he was allegedly unaware of. The thing of interest is that he says in his own tweet the Wampa wasn’t on set for that - yet here’s this picture which is basically that exact moment he’s about to swipe at him, correct?

Mark’s full quote: "When filming scene I was assured my lightsaber swipe toward camera (creature not on set) would simply singe fur 2 scare him off-Horrified to later see amputation & unnecessary cruelty- Wampa was HUNGRY (not EVIL)-Luke would never do this!"

Maybe they are shot for different purposes or maybe just more evidence of unreliable memories?

it’s interesting timing we are looking at this now cause just 4 days ago Mark Hamill tweeted about this scene playfully upset about the amputation which he was allegedly unaware of. The thing of interest is that he says in his own tweet the Wampa wasn’t on set for that - yet here’s this picture which is basically that exact moment he’s about to swipe at him, correct?

Mark’s full quote: "When filming scene I was assured my lightsaber swipe toward camera (creature not on set) would simply singe fur 2 scare him off-Horrified to later see amputation & unnecessary cruelty- Wampa was HUNGRY (not EVIL)-Luke would never do this!"

Maybe they are shot for different purposes or maybe just more evidence of unreliable memories?

Heh, mark has been on record saying some pretty accurate stuff. And then again he’s been on record saying some really in Un accurate stuff

He was interviewed at a comic con in the late 90s early 2000’s before we ever saw the deleted RoTJ cave scene with the lightsaber

We have only heard rumors of this scene. When a fan asked mark, mark stated there was never a cave scene with him working on his Lightsaber...

Again you can’t blame these actors for forgetting. They aren’t like us, their job is to act, not pay attention to ever little detail

I’m interested now and trying to pin down that the wampa cave is a stunt.

Possibly 2 sabers were used in the “pull out” scene (c’mon guys get your minds out of the gutter!)

Saber in he snow being wiggled, and then one being pulled out of the snow?

To me the one being pulled out of the snow has the same black clamp/screw mark on the clamp.

That is just me though, could be the hole left behind in the clamp with the screw removed

Also the grips on the wampa cave are really really beat up... do we have any good pictures of the grips of the stunts in ESB?

Anyone got hi-Rez pics of Luke training with the lightsaber with yoda on his back? Trying to think of pictures... any behind the scenes pics of vader and Luke in the darkside cave?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back