Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

A minor mod, that I suppose most people shall do.

P2030506rs.jpg

One of the joy of building the Falcon, that Bandai reserved for us.

I don't think it's just an action figure licensing issue: Bandai's 1/100 and 1/60 mobile suit pilots have been in the same ramrod poses for years.

Probably true. It's just easy to imagine, given the flat standing figures, that there's maybe a licensing issue as well.

I have no doubt Bandai could deliver realistic poses, but are likely prohibited because Hasbro would deem them "action figures" and a violation of their exclusive license.

I'm not sure about that, because the Star Wars figures included in kits released by Bandai prior to the flat standing figure/no standing figure nonsense have the same crappy poses.

I think its the lighting, but the photos featured on the actual article look better.

P2030507rs.jpg

I don't think it's just an action figure licensing issue: Bandai's 1/100 and 1/60 mobile suit pilots have been in the same ramrod poses for years.

They are neither 1/100 nor 1/60, but Bandai has included figures like these in their Gundam models.

716f584bqCL._SL1500_.jpg149354841338858967180_2017043033.jpg

So I think the poses of the figures have little to do with Bandai's technical abilities.

Maybe it's just that the Japanese view western fictional characters as so stiff and wooden compared to Japanese characters that they can't help but depict them with a stick up their wazoos. :lol

Not meaning to look like a noob - but what exactly is the mod?

The Bandai kit does not have any battle damage on the docking rings, even though there is clearly battle damage on the cockpit side docking ring on the 5 foot studio falcon model.

Probably true. It's just easy to imagine, given the flat standing figures, that there's maybe a licensing issue as well.

I'm not sure about that, because the Star Wars figures included in kits released by Bandai prior to the flat standing figure/no standing figure nonsense have the same crappy poses.

I think it's just the pose they went with to keep them "free-standing". The Yamato 1/72 figures have a pretty static poses as well. They are really just meant to be displayed with the landed ship to give it a sense of scale.

The switch to flats or no figures outside of sitting in seats was clearly a response licensing thing, most likely prompted by Hasbro.

Hasbro made a similar push against FFG for violating their Star Wars board game license with the Imperial Assault game even though it is in no competition with any kind of board game Hasbro would make for Star Wars or people who play those type of board games would buy

The Bandai kit does not have any battle damage on the docking rings, even though there is clearly battle damage on the cockpit side docking ring on the 5 foot studio falcon model.

Thanks - Funny they'd leave that off - but doesn't look too hard to add.

So any thoughts on the Deagostini vs Archivex paints out there?

Tamiya paints get my vote. The Acrylics are the what I use. I have a bad reaction some other types. Plus, the Acrylics are water based, so even with the additives in the paint they are more benign than most solvent-based paints, and the easy clean-up makes the Acrylics perfect for me as well. For rattle can sprays I prefer Tamiya too. I don't currently own an airbrush.

Last edited:

It's hilarious how B*ndai's dropped the ball with their crappy figurines, they have massive issues with modeling human beings, I frankly doubt anybody in that company has seen a human being before.

I think it's just the pose they went with to keep them "free-standing". The Yamato 1/72 figures have a pretty static poses as well. They are really just meant to be displayed with the landed ship to give it a sense of scale.

The switch to flats or no figures outside of sitting in seats was clearly a response licensing thing, most likely prompted by Hasbro.

Hasbro made a similar push against FFG for violating their Star Wars board game license with the Imperial Assault game even though it is in no competition with any kind of board game Hasbro would make for Star Wars or people who play those type of board games would buy

http://i.imgur.com/c8MWZLO.jpg

Still not convinced about what the fans say about B*ndai's figures? Pick up your AT-ST crew and laugh. This thread has had enough of B*ndai apologists.

Still not convinced about what the fans say about B*ndai's figures? Pick up your AT-ST crew and laugh. This thread has had enough of B*ndai apologists.

I can pick up my Bandai AT-ST figures because they never went into the model because they were never going to be seen once the kit was built! :lol

Actually, the figures with the 1/72 Bandai Falcon look pretty good for the tiny scale. They are recognizable as the characters they portray, and, when painted up, look decent in the cockpit. The fact that they are in poses that look like they are at a team building seminar in Carmel, California, is the problem. Of course, with a fabulous model like this, there had to be something for the rivet counters to gripe about.

Actually, the figures with the 1/72 Bandai Falcon look pretty good for the tiny scale.

Yeah, I agree. The faces are great. It's not going to be that tricky to cut and tilt a head or reposition an arm. If I need Luke to stand, I can probably find a 1/72 military figure and modify it. Maybe someone on shapeways will offer some figures in poses. If the bodies are good enough, swap the head for the Bandai and viola!

This Bandai kit of the MF is the one I having been waiting for since I was a kid and bought the first release MPC kit. Remember the picture of the MF on it and how disappointing it was on the inside?! I luv the fact that Bandai is doing the New Hope version and captured the original dome look of the Falcon rather than the hockey puck look. Plus I never really liked the extra cargo boxes of the front I thought it took away from the lines of the ship especially the side profile with the cockpit. It looks like a fantastic kit. I already preordered my Cultvman.
I do like very much the Fine Molds kit, but Bandai really came out with the kit I have been looking for as I am sure with a lot of MF fans.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back