Are these the vintage T-tracks we've been looking for?

wait what! Thomas! Did you work on the physical mechanical trains and sets? We need to talk

Well we did two versions... 1 season of the hybrid... where the CG faces were on the Original trains, and the all CG version for the following seasons.

However, we DID have all the original trains in our studios for those 4 years, All the faces, Stations, for reference for the CG models.

Its funny, I can't even remember the name of the Studio in England where they had all the giant sets. I had to fly down there for a day, and as I type this, I couldn't tell you the name.

BTW... The original models are friggin awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes... I need to hit you for all of the Thomas I've endured over the years from nieces and nephews the next time I see you ;)

Man, I edited 80 episodes and 4 movies. I've been punished enough.

And they were the "Sharon Miller" eps... with all the rhyming and alliteration.

Oh dude... that's awesome though. I love Thomas... because of my son, but we both super dig it. They're fun and well made. I was always impressed with the animation and technical aspects of the production... but the old school physical models and the CG. The hybrid actually worked out really well too.

Man... where are those models now!? I want a screen used train or... even faces!

Oh dude... that's awesome though. I love Thomas... because of my son, but we both super dig it. They're fun and well made. I was always impressed with the animation and technical aspects of the production... but the old school physical models and the CG. The hybrid actually worked out really well too.

Man... where are those models now!? I want a screen used train or... even faces!

[video]http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Nitrogen_Studios[/video]

Those trains are priceless... we had huge security on them. We couldn't even let our families see them.

And Thomas fans are CRAZY... they would show up unannounced at the studio.

I have a costume I made of Thomas I got signed by the director I'm planning on ebaying... see how crazy they really are!

T-tracks... Train Tracks... same thing...

Back on topic...

http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Nitrogen_Studios

Those trains are priceless... we had huge security on them. We couldn't even let our families see them.

And Thomas fans are CRAZY... they would show up unannounced at the studio.

I have a costume I made of Thomas I got signed by the director I'm planning on ebaying... see how crazy they really are!

T-tracks... Train Tracks... same thing...

Back on topic...
You know what would be crazy? If the t track was from a model train set! But that's crazy talk.

Hello all.
I've recently got my hands on a small amount of black plastic t-track from a cupboard which was built in the 1970's in the UK (where I'm based). It's taken quite a while to clean off the 40-odd years of grime and varnish but it's come up rather nicely. At last my Graflex 3-cell has some proper grips!

View attachment 777096View attachment 777095View attachment 777094View attachment 777097

My stuff looks like the same t-track as Sym-Cha has as it has the same profile, dimensions and source (1970's UK cupboard door track).
I have some left and am planning on finally getting round to making a saber that lights up - I thought I'd do the corresponding 'practical' Graflex look-alike prop used in 1976 as I've got some aluminium tubing just as they used and I figure it would make a pair - the hero and the 'working' prop.

I've had my eye on this particular t-track for about two years and the cupboard has only just been scrapped - I guess patience is a virtue!

Hi saberguy, and welcome aboard. Please try to add your attachments, perhaps with a comma inbetween, because now they are not visible for me.

Chaïm

Hello all.
I've recently got my hands on a small amount of black plastic t-track from a cupboard which was built in the 1970's in the UK (where I'm based). It's taken quite a while to clean off the 40-odd years of grime and varnish but it's come up rather nicely. At last my Graflex 3-cell has some proper grips!

View attachment 777096View attachment 777095View attachment 777094View attachment 777097

My stuff looks like the same t-track as Sym-Cha has as it has the same profile, dimensions and source (1970's UK cupboard door track).
I have some left and am planning on finally getting round to making a saber that lights up - I thought I'd do the corresponding 'practical' Graflex look-alike prop used in 1976 as I've got some aluminium tubing just as they used and I figure it would make a pair - the hero and the 'working' prop.

I've had my eye on this particular t-track for about two years and the cupboard has only just been scrapped - I guess patience is a virtue!
cannot see your pics buddy

IMG_9652.JPGIMG_9652.JPGIMG_9652.JPGIMG_9651.JPGIMG_9658.JPGIMG_9661.JPGIMG_9663.JPGIMG_9652.JPGIMG_9651.JPGIMG_9658.JPGIMG_9661.JPGIMG_9663.JPG

Sorry - here you go. They were there then they weren't!

Nice G R A F L E X lightsaber and Kobold droidcaller :) Do you have a picture of just the profile of your T-tracks to compare to mine, saberguy?

Chaïm

Nice saber, man! Was there a channel on the underside of the tracks or was it flat? If flat, did you create a channel before gluing it onto the Graflex?

Here's a close-up of the t-track profile on the left next to the modern equivalent on the right.
It has a flat underside with no ridge, I just scraped the adhesive off and used IPA to remove the rest of the glue (as best as I could) before using Gorilla epoxy adhesive on it.

IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0881.JPG

The modern track has a little groove in it but only a little one.

This vintage t track has something else... a brand name stamped underneath it - HILLALDAM. Yes, they are still in existence (in South Africa) and yes, they still make t-track but it's aluminium and slightly wider (and different profile): http://www.hillaldam.net/tracks-channels-and-brackets/detail/bottom-tracks

Spoke to their UK supplier and they only have it in gold anodised at about £25 shipped for a 1.8m length so not much use.

Thanks saberguy ... yep it seems the same profile as mine and now we have a brandname too ... good to compare it to the modern variant :)

Chaïm

No SethS ... it's a bit different ... Kal's profile is a little slimmer with a slightly higher center rib ... when I have the time I'll make a comparison picture :wacko

Chaïm

I was just thinking they are both taller, compared to the Wampa cave profile and most of the repros we all use. But I'd love to see the comparison. I keep looking at the toe pic and try to discern if those grips are taller than what we see in ESB.

Just done a comparison of the various T tracks that I currently have:
T Track Comparison.jpgg2d-rigid-t-track.jpgpvc_t_track_running_drawer_track.gif

On the left are the old rubber grips that I took off my Graflex. They came from the Custom Saber Shop about 10 years ago if memory serves.
Next to it are the vintage PVC racks that I recently located and put on.
On the right is a PVC sample that I was sent by Tubeway Extrusions in the UK http://www.tubewayextrusions.com/plastic-misc-profiles.html The dimensions for that are A 4.6mm B 7mm C 10.07mm - basically the same as my vintage track but with a ridge that is much fatter.
Finally, on the far right is a PVC track that looks much more like the vintage track but is taller. All three PVC tracks are the same width (approx 11mm).

The Tubeway T track is only available in bulk with a minimum order for £50.

The modern rubber grips are much wider and possibly(?) more accurate for that fact alone, but I'm so happy to be able to fit vintage grips to my Graflex it doesn't matter that they're slightly too narrow - they still look and feel the business!

Hope the comparison pic is of use.

Cheers,

saberguy.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back