The thin-necked lightsaber appreciation society

MCM so you didnt chemically make the rust on the grenade? that is all acrylic paint? I'm trying to learn today how to make the romans grenade rusty like yours. i really want to get mine all beat up and rusty

Last edited by a moderator:
The Roman saber is real rust, the K4 is a wash of acrylic paint and water (mostly water). I brushed the wash on with a paint brush, dabbed off the excess with a dampened paper towel, then chased the wash around the grenade with a blow drier untilb dry. Repeat this about a dozen times and you end up with what you see now.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

The Roman saber is real rust, the K4 is a wash of acrylic paint and water (mostly water). I brushed the wash on with a paint brush, dabbed off the excess with a dampened paper towel, then chased the wash around the grenade with a blow drier untilb dry. Repeat this about a dozen times and you end up with what you see now.

Do you have any advice on rusting romans grenade?

I think I feel more comfortable with your acrylic rust wash. It sure did come out authentic, looks like real rust to me!

I got my rust by letting it sit out in the elements and handling it. I moved into a new house last summer and fell asleep one night on the floor with all of the windows open. I accidentally left my obi saber out, too, and I awoke the next morning to find that the mid Atlantic humidity had given my balance pipe, grenade, and booster a nice, rusty patina. I actually had to knock back some of the rust on the balance pipe. It was definitely a happy accident. I had done the darkening with aluminum black, as opposed to super blue for steel, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, too.

The acrylic paint definitely gives you more control over the final results. I'm delighted that you like my results so much.

My Roman's ANH and a saber I designed for myself with TCSS parts. Kind of a hybrid Obi's ANH and Luke's ROTJ.

Roman's is missing a few parts and I'm on the processes of installing the electronics and later weather mine.

I love these guys.
0981a597a097d20e20c2a5a98535635d.jpg

Kind of a hybrid Obi's ANH and Luke's ROTJ.

Wait 'till you get a load of mine!..... If TCSS ever gets BUNNY EARS back in stock!!!! It's been 2 months since the rest of it arrived and I'd like to have it all here so that I can paint/weather/assemble it all at the same time.

Little hint... it won't be a Thin-necked Lightsaber. And its running title is Obi-Wan Graf-Luki.

Ya know... I totally jinxed myself with my post above. I just went over to TCSS to check stock, nope, still nothing. Went into the forum to browse around, got into a sub forum I haven't looked in yet, and their sits my great idea in someone else's post. INCONCEIVABLE! AHHH!!!!

Oh well, it'll be a little different from his. I'm so bumbed though, I'm goin' to bed. :(

Wait 'till you get a load of mine!..... If TCSS ever gets BUNNY EARS back in stock!!!! It's been 2 months since the rest of it arrived and I'd like to have it all here so that I can paint/weather/assemble it all at the same time.

Little hint... it won't be a Thin-necked Lightsaber. And its running title is Obi-Wan Graf-Luki.

The Graflex Shop has bunny ears in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks xwingercrash ! I've been thinking about those, but they'd require a lot more effort to put on my build.

Originally my idea was to make an FX lightsaber out of TCSS Modular Hilt System parts as quickly as possible to renew my interest in: building my Genuine GRAFLEX ANH/TFA saber, making a crystal chamber for my Roman's Mk1 FX Machined, and finding the remaining parts for my ALL REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABER.

But with TCSS taking so long to restock the last few parts I need to complete the build, it's really not been worth my while for what I had intended to have it for. Sure, it'll look cool when it's all done, but, the spark has long since extinguished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the d ring and maybe a few teensie details, I finished a 3D printed shared stunt/V3 from my own sketchup model. Here it is next to Spiritofob1's from his run earlier this year. 3D printed on the left, metal on the right.
7f03c57a111f871e4eb66b59d1892956.jpg
561a5ebc95117942bf8441a77c8e2b34.jpg

I really need to take a wire wheel or something and take that paint off.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, she's yours and all, but NO!

To me the history of the part makes it that much more special.

At the very most, clearcoat it and then paint it how you like. That way if you change your mind and want to change it back to a historical part you'll be able to remove your added paint back down the the clearcoat and show off that fine grenade you have there!

I think the fun part of seeing all those REAL PARTS OBI-WAN KENOBI LIGHTSABERS is knowing who it belongs to by the grenade's patina/coloring.

Even the necks that teecrooz gave to me had a wonderful patina... that I kind of wish I had back. But, since I cleaned them back to shiny metal, that particular patina is lost forever.

If it was just a rust covered grenade with the paint long rotted away, I'd be right there with ya soakin' it in vinegar and scrubbing the rust away with an old toothbrush to restore some of its former glory. But that original paint is irreplaceable and makes it all the more interesting and unique.

True beauty doesn't need makeup. And in this case the makeup would be applied by a wire wheel. I'd leave her be. She's gorgeous just the way she is!!!

I dunno. Its always bugged me and reminds me that its unfinished. Even moreso considering I have yet to attach the transistors or d-ring. The red and pink really bug me, so I'm sure I'll see what a wire or brass brush can do with it, but I doubt I'd ever go so far as to paint the entire thing. I like the dullness of the brass parts, though and would never mess with that.

I dunno. Its always bugged me and reminds me that its unfinished. Even moreso considering I have yet to attach the transistors or d-ring. The red and pink really bug me, so I'm sure I'll see what a wire or brass brush can do with it, but I doubt I'd ever go so far as to paint the entire thing. I like the dullness of the brass parts, though and would never mess with that.

Oh the transistors are easy. That's like a 10 second job, but one that makes it look 100% better.
Here's mine on my real GRAFLEX clamp.
IMG_1615.JPG

It's your lightsaber (& buddy is it ever gorgeous), you do what you need to make it how you like it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back