Sandcrawler

I just checked out studioscalemodelers.com and they have lots and lots of photos of the studio scale model. Including direct front and rear shots.

TazMan2000

Thanks. I just signed up again the other day for that site. I've seen a lot of those before, but there were a few shots I hadn't seen.

I did a mockup of how big it would be in my best guess at 1/72.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=267626&p=4091224&viewfull=1#post4091224

Now I have to extrapolate from the clues here to determine how big the studio model is and see if I can find scaled down parts of the original donors. I may adjust the size a bit depending on how that goes. If I have to nudge the six up or down to save some work on scratching parts it would be useful. Otherwise it will be a lot of scratch building and I probably have to learn how to make 3-D parts to get printed at shapeways for some of the more complex things

View attachment 668269

Here you go ..... I measured a very small (0.2mm) difference in width .... but that's next to nothing ... you could go with 101.3mm and be safe :)

Based on try to size this with the pics I've seen, assuming that the width of that part spans the width of the area it is in, then I believe scaling up from the 1/72 size, the studio model is around 1/35?
That would mean the studio model that is about 44.9944" long (1142.85776 mm)

Does that sound in the ballpark? Seems kind of big

The dimensions in From Star Wars to Indiana Jones
is 56 by 125 by 66 cm
for those not in the 21st century ( :lol you know who you are)
22.0472 by 49.2126 by 25.9843 inch

Great model builders than I have verified that the dimensions in this book should be taken with a very large brick of salt.
some clues given in the books mentions that the model was built in proportion to the full size built in the desert.
ill see if I can pull the length at least from the blueprint book.

but even still I think we're back to identifying a key model part and using it to get your lengths and height

If you think this is large , it should be , it used 4 motorised tank kits , one for each corner , the tank threads were extended with individually created injection mounded tracks (another case of Lorne and other model builder bringing new technology to the ILM shop)
Anyway it could pop a wheelie the motors were so strong, and a member of crew could sit on it and drive themselves along, so it was big and strong, you probably also are aware the back was never decorated as it was shot only from one side /front and rear.

The dimensions in From Star Wars to Indiana Jones
is 56 by 125 by 66 cm
for those not in the 21st century ( :lol you know who you are)
22.0472 by 49.2126 by 25.9843 inch

so scaling up to the 125 cm (49.2126") that would make it 1/32 compared to what I am calling my 1/72's size

Page 61 from Star Wars chronicles
IMG_7348.JPG

Thank you for these! I have a really small picture of those that is so low res you can't magnify very far without becoming totally unusable. The size on these are just what I needed to make out some of the details as well as get a better scaling of the top/width

The front and back shot help as well

I guess I really need to seek out Chronicles book. I have Sculpting A Galaxy,

Thank you for these! I have a really small picture of those that is so low res you can't magnify very far without becoming totally unusable. The size on these are just what I needed to make out some of the details as well as get a better scaling of the top/width

The front and back shot help as well

I guess I really need to seek out Chronicles book. I have Sculpting A Galaxy,
It's a really good book , the original trilogy , no problem , we all have to help with reference.
I'll try and get a scan of it, it's a big book to get into the inner page , leave it with me,

Weren't 1/16 scale Sherman tank chassis' used for the tracks? If one has those dimensions, he could figure out the length of the studio model and thusly the scale.

TazMan2000

The George Lucas Museum/Archives book are notoriously inaccurate dimension-wise. If you want to get it right, you will have to get some of the more orthographic photos, find a known part, and extrapolate dimensions from that.

And yes, the Tamiya 1/16 Sherman was used as the basis for the running gear. But the tread plates were custom injection molded pieces.

Gene

I just looked up the Tamiya Sherman. It also looks as if the wheel configuration has changed from the Sherman to the Sandcrawler. The road wheels on the track assemblies have a much higher clearance and a more uniform trapezoidal shape on the Sandcrawler. This could mean that they used the parts off the Sherman kit, but the measurement from the drive sprocket to the guide wheel may not be the same as on the kit. So I guess using the Sherman as a reference to measure the track assemblies is out.

TazMan2000

Not sure if this is of any use, but these are orthographic shots of the SW:BF (video game) sandcrawler. Supposedly based in extensive research at the Lucasfilm archive and 3D scanned from the model. I can't really speak of the true accuracy of this CG model however, I didn't make it, so it might just add confusion to things. View attachment sandcrawler_BFFinal Color Output0001.JPGView attachment sandcrawler_BFFinal Color Output0007.JPGView attachment sandcrawler_BFFinal Color Output0004.JPGView attachment sandcrawler_BFFinal Color Output0002.JPGView attachment sandcrawler_BFFinal Color Output0009.JPGView attachment sandcrawler_BFFinal Color Output0003.JPGView attachment sandcrawler_BFFinal Color Output0010.JPG

I just looked up the Tamiya Sherman. It also looks as if the wheel configuration has changed from the Sherman to the Sandcrawler. The road wheels on the track assemblies have a much higher clearance and a more uniform trapezoidal shape on the Sandcrawler. This could mean that they used the parts off the Sherman kit, but the measurement from the drive sprocket to the guide wheel may not be the same as on the kit. So I guess using the Sherman as a reference to measure the track assemblies is out.

TazMan2000

the entire setup from the Sherman tank was highly modified, and each track on the sand crawler only used 2/3 of a sherman's entire track. 4 sherman tanks would have had to have been hacked up to create the tracks for the sand-crawler, but enough parts would be left over to have road wheels for more than an entire sherman

Attachments

• sandcrawler-051.jpg
    sandcrawler-051.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 258
  • 56014-1.jpg
    56014-1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 190
So if the Studio Model is around 1/32 to 1/35th, I believe I could get away with using a 1/32 Sherman for those parts when scaling down to 1/72 ( or in the ballpark anyway)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back