Black Mirror episode U.S.S. Callister

Just watched it. Not bad! I almost wish the Orville would have had this look instead of the Galaxy Quest look.

It was like Galaxy Quesr meets a TNG Barclay episode by way of Black Mirror. I loved it.

Last edited:
"That was a really fun Black Mirror episode" is not something I had really ever expected to find myself saying. But now I've done it.

The season is milking that 'virtual you' concept to death. They need to move on to new things. That being said, I really enjoyed this new season.

I'm a bit at odds with this episode. Couple things:

1. HEY! It's Mrs. Ted Mosby. The Mother from "How I Met Your Mother"

2. Replicating people from their stolen DNA is a super shady thing to do.

3. Daly was constantly bullied and abused by his business partner who was just riding his coat tails in real life, so he gets back at him in a virtual video game life.

4. Does it mention in the episode that Daly actually knows that these "clones" are trapped in the virtual world or does he just assume they are video game characters he created to be exactly like their real life counterparts. I can't really remember if this is mentioned to Daly or just between those who are trapped.

5. Can Daly just create characters the old fashioned way by using code and programing them into the game? Maybe he steals the DNA because it's a faster way to create the characters instead of designing each one individually?

6. Probably looked WAY to far and thought WAY to long about these questions, but oh well.
Funky: I agree with you in regards to how cool it would be if Orville was like this. Maybe we'll get lucky and McFarlane will do a throwback episode(s) to when the Earth's Interstellar Fleet began?

-Ash

Last edited by a moderator:
He's fully aware of what he's doing, it's part on the 'punishment' for what he sees as slights against him.

The DNA thing is just poor science - he uses a kind of digital 3D printer to create exact copies to put in the game. The problem is that DNA wouldn't recreate their memories. We don't see if the DNA process is used for the regular game to create avatars, but if the tech exists, it would certainly be quicker than producing a perfect replica of a participant though coding 3D scans.

The partner, though apparently not a truly bad person, had used and manipulated Daly to get the company off the ground, which is presumably why the writer chose him to 'die'. I was somewhat unclear what actually happened to him - is he stilled burned to shreds but conscious in the Jeffries Tube?

I didn't see the point of getting 'the mother' to steal back the DNA of the crew (which would surely be digitised on his computer anyway?) when he could use the exact same process to get the DNA again - they didn't know he would get stuck in the pocket universe.

A great, fun episode, nevertheless :)

I'm a bit at odds with this episode. Couple things:

1. HEY! It's Mrs. Ted Mosby. The Mother from "How I Met Your Mother"

2. Replicating people from their stolen DNA is a super shady thing to do.

3. Daly was constantly bullied and abused by his business partner who was just riding his coat tails in real life, so he gets back at him in a virtual video game life.

4. Does it mention in the episode that Daly actually knows that these "clones" are trapped in the virtual world or does he just assume they are video game characters he created to be exactly like their real life counterparts. I can't really remember if this is mentioned to Daly or just between those who are trapped.

5. Can Daly just create characters the old fashioned way by using code and programing them into the game? Maybe he steals the DNA because it's a faster way to create the characters instead of designing each one individually?

6. Probably looked WAY to far and thought WAY to long about these questions, but oh well.
@Funky: I agree with you in regards to how cool it would be if Orville was like this. Maybe we'll get lucky and McFarlane will do a throwback episode(s) to when the Earth's Interstellar Fleet began?

-Ash

9DE5A86E-AD38-4E20-943E-21AC44836191.png

The partner, though apparently not a truly bad person, had used and manipulated Daly to get the company off the ground, which is presumably why the writer chose him to 'die'. I was somewhat unclear what actually happened to him - is he stilled burned to shreds but conscious in the Jeffries Tube?

If his particles were still in the engine, he should have been reconstituted as his real self after they went through the wormhole, just like the woman who was turned into the monster, became herself again. Of course, the engine was still on, so maybe he just got shredded again? That's a little dark, he probably became rocket exhaust and stayed in the original game and thus died (put out of his misery) when everything was deleted.

I have to laugh at people who decry "Poor Science" in a Science F-I-C-T-I-O-N story. The point of most science fiction is that the science is improbable, but that improbability is what moves the story. It was derivative of many things from The Lord of the Flies to STNG, but I enjoyed it and him getting brain fried at the end was just desserts.

I have to laugh at people who decry "Poor Science" in a Science F-I-C-T-I-O-N story. The point of most science fiction is that the science is improbable, but that improbability is what moves the story. It was derivative of many things from The Lord of the Flies to STNG, but I enjoyed it and him getting brain fried at the end was just desserts.

I made an observation in reply to someone else's questions about the plot, and pointed out that I enjoyed the episode. What the hell is wrong with everyone being such mean-spirited dicks on this site recently?

My response was hardly mean spirited, just a general observation. I didn't specifically name you or call you a poo poo head. Mean spirited would be along the lines of Sowwy your widdle feewings got hurt, I have a coupon for some butt balm for you. The last was in jest in case you are taking it seriously, I don't actually have a coupon they all expired. Relax man, it's just a discussion, in about .0000021 seconds it will mean exactly nothing.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back