ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Also, not sure how accurate this is or if it's been mentioned before, but her Lego figure has the vest and yoked shirt underneath her poncho. I was kind of excited to see it there when I started putting her together with the U-Wing.

Do you think this this something that can be used to create the two rectangular patches of lighter color we see on the pants here?

View attachment 674095

Actually, I'm trying that next. I have some stuff from Dharma Trading that is a thicker consistency that you put on, let dry, then steam out that lifts the color. I'm trying that on this pair before I test silk screening. So much conflicting info on the stripes out there. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Also, not sure how accurate this is or if it's been mentioned before, but her Lego figure has the vest and yoked shirt underneath her poncho. I was kind of excited to see it there when I started putting her together with the U-Wing.

Not sure about the vest, but the costume info at SDCC confirmed that she's wearing her jacket under the poncho.

It is hard to keep up with everyone’s progress and analysis. I am not convinced any of my patterns are yet screen accurate or even something someone would want to be seen wearing. As a test I did a very quick mock up of both of my last two attempts. These are versions I call Version CarpElgin (Version CE) and Version Dimahleesi (Version D). Here are the photos of those tests. The Front is the same in both versions.

Version CarpElgin.JPGVersion CE-D Front.JPGVersion Dimahleesi.JPG

Several days ago I posted some photos of my Alpha version of the Jyn Erso Blouse. I received a few comments and a request from @jeniwan for an updated pattern since I had not yet posted my then-newest attempt based on the Disney photos supplied by @CarpElgin.

To respond to that request I updated my pattern and instructions and produced Version CE to replace my earlier redclayk Version (Version K). I sent a copy to jeniwan but before she had a chance to check it out or I had a chance to post the new version @Dimahleesi had to do some more analysis with new photos and wondered if there is another style element to the design – a Back Yoke?

So to punish her for her good work I created a newer Version Dimahleesi pattern.

Version CE is made up of a Front and a Back which are joined at the shoulders somewhat like a “jumper” with a low-cut, angular neckline in the front. Inserted into this “jumper” neckline is a wraparound Bib. The bib provided the overlap surplice neckline in the front and the raised neckline on the sides and back of the neck. Since the bib is inserted into the front/back combination you can follow a seam line from one shoulder around the back by following the bib and then on to the other shoulder. The way I drafted the pattern the bib does not drop very low so the seam appears almost directly across the back. Depending on what new photos revel this could drop lower, be more rounded, etc.
Version D is made up of the same Front as Version CE. It then combines the Bib from Version CE and the upper part of the Back into a single piece. This combination produces the same overlap surplice front and a Back Yoke. The bottom of this Back Yoke then joins a new Lower Back piece to complete the garment. The main stylistic difference is that because the Yoke and high neckline are one piece there are shoulder seams where it joins the Front but no seam at the nape of the neck. There is a seam which goes from side-to-side at the bottom of the yoke but it is lower down the armscye. In my mock up I purposely dropped the Yoke very low to emphasis the difference. (It could, and should, be much higher which would reduce the height of the Back Yoke proportionately.)

I am interested what the people who follow this thread think. On one hand I am interested in what people think, or better yet, can prove is screen accurate, but I am also interested in what people like, do not like, or have ideas for improvement. I have a thick skin so critiques are more helpful than silence. Thank you for any feedback and if you prefer you can send comments via messages to not clutter up this thread with information which may have limited value or interest to the whole Jyn Erso community.

Last edited:
I've updated my shirt line drawing again, with the back yoke, and included some "stitching lines" to clarify where pieces are attached along the edges.
(Solid lines are seams, dotted lines are visible/top stitching.)

OK, now I see where my drafting of the top differs from smithjohnj's drafts, where the overlapping collar piece is cut and inserted like a shawl collar pullover (https://jalie.com/jalie2911-shawl-collar-hoodie) -- the proportions are different and the Jyn Erso blouse has that seam in the front, but the similarities are there.

I'm also looking at the fathead image and not seeing that pesky vertical front seam at the bottom left corner of the collar/flap/thing. I know it should be there. Where does it keep going?

(I'll be honest, I'm just finishing up my adjustments to the vest, so I haven't marked up and ripped apart my first version of the blouse. This is all hypothetical for the next few days.)

SHIRT_v3.png

I'm also looking at the fathead image and not seeing that pesky vertical front seam at the bottom left corner of the collar/flap/thing. I know it should be there. Where does it keep going?

I think it would be tucked just under the jacket in the Fathead photos so it wouldn't necessarily be visible. It is really hard to confirm it in shots from the trailers and publicity photos, but it was definitely there at SDCC and the people working the booth said the costume was screen-used and shipped directly from set. The place that you marked it in your drawing looks correct to me.

Last edited:
I think it would be tucked just under the jacket in the Fathead photos so it wouldn't necessarily be visible. It is really hard to confirm it in shots from the trailers and publicity photos, but it was definitely there at SDCC and the people working the booth said the costume was screen-used and shipped directly from set. The place that you marked it in your drawing looks correct to me.

It appears on almost all of the toys, too, so I know it's there. I just wish it were easier to see and point to!

Photo post! Great drafting smithjohnj, your detail orientation is so helpful!
First off, here is a lightened version of the frame from Trailer 2 showing what I believe to be a back yoke.
BlouseBackOrig.pngBlouseBackLightContrast.png
I'm basing it on the appearance of the ending of the fabric rippling near her left shoulder. All of the folds in the fabric end at the same point and without visible tapering which makes me think that they're ending at a seam.
I have been fooled by folds before regarding a seam on the front of the shirt though so I'm not absolutely 100% based on just one photo.
Where this first photo looks like there could be a seam but the following show it's not the case.
ChestSeam.pngFrontBib.pngFrontBibLightened.png
These next photos show details I think are relevant such as the look of topstitching and how the bib width lays along the vest neckline.
BibSeaming.pngBibWidthLightened.png
Finally, these two photos capture the seam down the front of the shirt. I have a theory that the front side of the bib doesn't quite match up with the left bottom corner(facing the shirt), maybe 1/2" gap, and the seam goes straight down from the left corner since it's hard to see even when you can see the corner of the front bib flap. Do you have any insight into that theory spectreseven?
FrontSeam1.pngFrontSeam2.png
My final thought is that I tend to think of the back of the collar of the bib as having a seam to the back of the shirt like CarpElgin has drawn but that is just my gut feeling, I don't have any photos for that detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 674620View attachment 674622
Finally, these two photos capture the seam down the front of the shirt. I have a theory that the front side of the bib doesn't quite match up with the left bottom corner(facing the shirt), maybe 1/2" gap, and the seam goes straight down from the left corner since it's hard to see even when you can see the corner of the front bib flap. Do you have any insight into that theory @spectreseven?

Hmm, it's hard to remember but I think the seam down the front started from the place where the bib folded over on the left. I remember that being the marker we saw for the start of the seam because at that point we hadn't seen the Disney costume photos and we were working off the theory that the horizontal seam under the bib went all the way across her shirt (and the collar wasn't an inserted piece). Jakkujunker might have a better memory of it that I do though.

Thanks for the additional photos and comments. Somehow I missed the vertical seam running down the left front in the style of the Cassian Andor and previous Han Solo shirts. I erroneously interpreted the earlier "vertical seam" comments to be only above the front yoke. I hope the insights and comments keep coming. Every new observation makes things come together. I now completely reject my 'bib" idea which came largely from the Disney costume. EDIT: I have returned to the bib concept but have changed the bib from an "inset" to an "overlay". Instead of the bib being behind the neckline frame it is in front, or on top of, the Front and Back neck opening.

Last edited:
I now completely reject my 'bib" idea which came largely from the Disney costume.

Don't give it up completely! You've got the angle of the flap and wrap just right, and that is definitely the hardest part. (Or at least it was for me.) I'm drawing all the new lines in chalk on my old pieces before taking it apart just enough to tracing them on to paper for the updated patterns. (I was hoping I could skip a whole other round of muslin, but that might be a bit foolish. Hmmm.)

FYI for the people looking for extra Lange ski buckles, only the buckle closest to the toe is the correct size for Jyn's boots. If you're getting extra buckles from someone else, your buckle will be slightly too large. Not enough to really make a difference, but just keep it in mind if you're obsessive about screen accuracy.

FYI for the people looking for extra Lange ski buckles, only the buckle closest to the toe is the correct size for Jyn's boots. If you're getting extra buckles from someone else, your buckle will be slightly too large. Not enough to really make a difference, but just keep it in mind if you're obsessive about screen accuracy.

And if you're really obsessive, it's likely that the screen used ones were cast from a mold of the buckle rather than the original buckles!

These next photos show details I think are relevant such as the look of topstitching and how the bib width lays along the vest neckline.
View attachment 674620View attachment 674622
Finally, these two photos capture the seam down the front of the shirt. I have a theory that the front side of the bib doesn't quite match up with the left bottom corner(facing the shirt), maybe 1/2" gap, and the seam goes straight down from the left corner since it's hard to see even when you can see the corner of the front bib flap.

I have a new theory. The gap has been bugging me. There is no logical reason to just have a random gap right where several seams should meet. Plus, it seems to be in line with the seam in this photo.
EW_Large Collar detail.jpeg

What if the left flap collar thing is loose, or partially loose and actually snaps, velcros, whatevers into place? It would also solve the having to be really careful when slipping it on over your head problem by giving the neckline a little more room. Instead of having an additional right collar piece, what if it continues underneath and it part of the left side of the body. (So bib flap sitting on top along the bottom, but also shawl collar-ish construction along the side.)

SHIRTv4.png

CarpElgin, On your latest draft I believe at the neckline, the lower (right-side) layer should have a similar curve as the left hand side so if the flap is up they cross at the same height at center front. Your design may be that way but the illustration seems to have the lower layer neckline dropping too low. I then believe the bottom seam on the top layer flap goes all the way to the right end of the flap. The flap does not go all the way to the vertical seam which seems consistent with your draft. The right side of the flap is loose so it can hang but is attached at the lower right corner by the bottom seam. (But I have been wrong more times than I have been correct so far on this blouse so hopefully others can comment.) .

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back