Judge Death full build WIP

Atomic Ladies

First I'd like to say this is a great sub thread, its great to see so many talented and dedicated Judge Dredd and 2000AD fans. I've learned a lot and been quite inspired.
I'm currently making a full Judge Death costume, the Dark Judges have long been a favorite and I thought Death would be a fun first project.

DeathRef.jpg
I'm making the costume elements first, as I at least have sculpting and painting experience. Here are some of the bits I've made so far..

Starting with the badge: this is a pure Sculpey build. Most of the elements are painted using a combination 3 coats of Acrylic paint, from dark to light, then Ink wash to bring out shadows.

badge-sculpt.jpg badge-fin.jpg

Belt Buckle: the build uses a combination of Sculpey for the skull and Warbla for the wings. This was my experience with Warbla, its very intuitive and easy to work with.

buckle1.jpg buckle2.jpg buckleFin.jpg

Right Shoulder: This was the most complex so far and is a combination of Warbla, Sculpey, Miliput (epoxy clay) and craft foam.

shoulder-3.jpg shoulder-7.jpg shoulder-9.jpg shoulder-11.jpgshoulder-13.jpg shoulder-17.jpg shoulder-18.jpg

I will continue to post my progress with the costume, if people are interested, also happy to answer any questions on technique :)

I will continue to post my progress with the costume, if people are interested, also happy to answer any questions on technique :)

Oh, yes! Definitely interested, and thanks for posting such inspirational pics! Each picture is a sort of mini tutorial, so the more the better. Really looking forward to seeing how the helmet turns out. :thumbsup

Really looking forward to seeing how the helmet turns out. :thumbsup
Haha.. I'm also interested in how the helmet turns out! I'm working on it at the moment, its made of EVA Foam, but the top is not the right shape so I'm reshaping with body filler.

Continuing on with my progress..
Left Shoulder: Constructed with EVA Foam base; The bones were first made with a soft molding clay, I then cut and heated Worbla and gently pressed the heated material over the clay that was then scraped out once cooled; Contact Cement was used to bond the bone shells to the EVA Foam base and Miliput was shaped over to fill any gaps; Finally the usual acrylic paint and ink treatment was applied.

shoulder2-1.jpgshoulder2-2.jpgshoulder2-5.jpgshoulder2-6.jpgshoulder2-7.jpgshoulder2-8.jpg

Elbow pads..
The first shot is the before and after shaping of the EVA foam dome piece, the next are the shaped dome pieces and the underlay, they were then fused together with Contact Cement.
I was going to use the same Worbla method as the bones on the shoulder pad to make the fingers on this build. Unfortunately the fact that the fingers needed to have a fairly precise curve meant that I could not. Instead I used Sculpey with foil inner. Once they were baked I test placed them on the pad. You can see on the 4th pic that some breaking and remolding with Miliput had to be done to get the fingers fitting perfectly, once they did I used Contact Cement to glue them in place.
After the first coat of paint was applied I cut and applied Worbla for the finger nails. Then finished off with 2 more coats of paint, some dirty ink effects and a Mod Podge coat.
shoulder2-1.jpgshoulder2-2.jpgshoulder2-3.jpgshoulder2-4.jpgshoulder2-5.jpgshoulder2-6.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back