Anakin Starkiller V2 lightsaber show-off thread

Alright, judges, how's this? Dunno if it's one-hundo but I think it's quite close.

Brass enamel, slightly thinned, blotched on with a cotton ball and a wash of ink over it. This is also over the previous brown coloring I applied to the neck and windvane before when the Pop Culture Quest video dropped.

IMG_6304.JPG IMG_6303.JPG
IMG_6301.JPG IMG_6299.JPG IMG_6298.JPG IMG_6297.JPG

Finally finished mine (at least until the next time I walk past and decide it needs more).

May not be 100% screen accurate, but It's close enough for me I think. Mainly I was trying to get something better than an absurdly over priced MR version for a fraction of the cost. I do think I achieved that at least.

20170813_220835070_iOS.jpgIMG_2881.JPGIMG_2882.JPG

Finally finished mine (at least until the next time I walk past and decide it needs more).

May not be 100% screen accurate, but It's close enough for me I think. Mainly I was trying to get something better than an absurdly over priced MR version for a fraction of the cost. I do think I achieved that at least.

Looks great! You'll wanna rotate your circuit card though.

With all these great new pictures of the V2, makes me really want to take mine and add the paint on the neck and dirty up in between the rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have at last started to work on my Anakin Starkiller V2 lightsaber. I decided not to go down the dishwasher or oven cleaner route as I wanted the finish to not be as weathered as the original is now and more of what it was like in ROTJ. I first started by hitting the saber with scotchbrite and a mixture of wet & dry grades to dull the shine of the metal. I then gave the booster, pommel and emitter a few hits with a claw hammer and a few passovers with a file. Nothing too over the top just enough to show a bit of wear. I then used some Birchwood Casey aluminum black to darken these areas. I also used the aluminum black to slightly tarnish the rings and windvane sections. I then used some fine steel wool to blend the colour and lighten the cube section of the pommel. I am very pleased with the results so far. I plan to add the d-ring and mystery chunk next :$

IMG_1426.JPGIMG_1427.JPG

Looks great buddy! I really regret it using aluminum black on my booster and pommel cubes. It really looks great!

Looks great buddy! I really regret it using aluminum black on my booster and pommel cubes. It really looks great!

Thanks Halliwax :) I just found it really easy to use and if I found it went on too dark in a particular area, I just gently rubbed it with fine steel wool to lighten it.

I've had a little time over the weekend to add the d-ring and mystery chunk and also started the painting of the emitter. I didn't realize how hard it would be to chip away at the paint!!! I got through quite a few plastic knives in the process I can tell you :lol

I think it turned out ok so far though

V2paint.JPGV2paint2.JPGV2paint3.JPG

Off to a good start Kylo - looking good!

Here's a question for y'all.

I got one of AS's unibody sabers from last year's run and have done it up as a v2.

I was also lucky enough to get one of his final 3-piece spinners from the junkyard a couple of weeks ago.

My plan was to use one of them as an RotJ v2 and the other as an ANH Obi-Wan stunt (inspired by one I saw on here several months ago - sorry can't remember whose it was!).

However, since the spinning emitter and pommel will be more pleasing for the v2 as the configuration can be moved around to be scene specific, should I repaint the unibody into the Obi-Wan and start the 3-piece as a v2 (bearing in mind there are no more TT stencils)? Or just keep the unibody as the v2 and use the 3-piece for Obi-Wan? Thoughts?

Thanks Somerset :)
If it was me, I would make the AS 3 piece into the V2 and convert the unibody into the stunt. I am not using TT's stencil either but there are enough reference photos out there to give a good impression of what the paint weathering looks like.

Good luck in whichever you decide

Off to a good start Kylo - looking good!

Here's a question for y'all.

I got one of AS's unibody sabers from last year's run and have done it up as a v2.

I was also lucky enough to get one of his final 3-piece spinners from the junkyard a couple of weeks ago.

My plan was to use one of them as an RotJ v2 and the other as an ANH Obi-Wan stunt (inspired by one I saw on here several months ago - sorry can't remember whose it was!).

However, since the spinning emitter and pommel will be more pleasing for the v2 as the configuration can be moved around to be scene specific, should I repaint the unibody into the Obi-Wan and start the 3-piece as a v2 (bearing in mind there are no more TT stencils)? Or just keep the unibody as the v2 and use the 3-piece for Obi-Wan? Thoughts?

I would do the opposite. I was trying to grab a unibody but my funds have cut short

I wanted a unibody to turn into Luke's RoTJ V2. I am pretty sure dan has the unibody in the Ewoke celebration picture configuration. So you wouldn't have to worry about "clocking" it to the right position since he always has the grub screws lined up for a certain scene.

I also would use the unibody for the RoTJ scene because if your dead nuts on accuracy you need to lock the spinning emitter with gaffers tape. Using the unibody it would work out better in my eyes since the head is already locked in 1 piece.

You could then use the 3 piece emitter as the obiwan stunt, since it is a 3 piece, spinning design. Why lock up the 3 piece spinner when the unibody is already locked?

Good advice. Since the OW ANH is meant to be the spinning one it does make sense.

Although there might be a bit of debate on black vs dark grey for the ANH emitter, do you guys think it makes more sense to try and darken the aluminium chemically, or just spray some black/grey paint on there? Since it's a stunt, I would have thought that the prop makers would probably have just painted it?

Good advice. Since the OW ANH is meant to be the spinning one it does make sense.

Although there might be a bit of debate on black vs dark grey for the ANH emitter, do you guys think it makes more sense to try and darken the aluminium chemically, or just spray some black/grey paint on there? Since it's a stunt, I would have thought that the prop makers would probably have just painted it?

This is another sensitive subject almost as sensitive as rivers vs screws

There is a good photo (I have it at home) with Guinness holding the V2 with the clamp slide way up the hilt. This picture shows the emitter not black

My personal belief goes back to the prop departments mind of thought. "We need is now!!"

I think they sprayed the entire saber (minus the pommel) black, then quickly sprayed the top part of the windvane and emitter a dark chopper:brass color

I have no proof of none of this, this is just me putting myself in their mindset

There are some great obiwan vs Vader pictures (before the rotorscoping) showing the V2's color differences

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back