Bandai A Wing Build

Re: Think I ruined my Bandai A Wing

Here's picsView attachment 661966. You can see how right around the cockpit there's no tonal variation, right? That's where I started spraying. Oops. There was also some grey in there, which is long gone. The bottom looks way better.

20160907_174322.jpg

Sorry, that didn't work right. Here's a better picture.

Thanks Astro, I appreciate it. Just had kind of an "Aaahhhg!" moment with it. Got the red to where I was really happy and went to spray some dull coat to seal it. I thought I was far enough back as to be safe for a light dusting but I wasn't and the dull coat blew off some of the pastels. I think I also should have rubbed them in harder but I didn't want to over-blend them, as there really are like 20 colors in that "red" on the studio model. Oh well, guess I can add more later. Kinda bummed though.

I've had Testors Dullcote cause my pastel weathering to almost disappear, most likely because the clear coat particles were of similar size to the pastel dust. It wasn't because it 'blew away' the pastels but rather killed the reflectance of the pigments. I used an (alleged) glossy clear coat product made by Krylon - spray can bought at WallyWorld - that went on so 'dry' that it was more a satin than a gloss finish - but hardly effected the pastels I'd used.

Sometimes, it just doesn't work out... Also, it is possible to save the pastels for last then just handle the model carefully; I did this with an armor piece that lasted no problem. Need a dull finish really though for a good pastel application - gives the pigments something to stick to...

R/ Robert

Glossing over the fact that the A-Wing paint job is amazing, the fact that you painted the seat cushion made my year. Such a small detail, but the first thing I noticed. Brilliant. all around.

Haha, thanks, yeah- I dont really know why I did that, as it's not accurate at all. I think I just really liked how good the pilot came out, and I got attached to him, so I wanted him to have somewhere cozy to hang out.

Would it work with doing the pastel work, then clear coat, then doing more pastel work, then clear coat, to slowly build things up, or will it just soften the details of the model too much?

That's exactly what I'll have to do (by default, at this point) and it'll be fine. In fact i was really doing that anyway, as I had not added any of the more weathering-oriented pastels yet and was trying to just get the tonal variation I wanted in the red section. Just felt like I had it perfect and now I gotta do a do over but that's ok.

I wouldn't do that. Too many coats of clear matte will cloud your finish BADLY.
I usually just over-exaggerate my pastels slightly to compensate for the muting effect of the dull coat.
Actually, I've stopped using pastels entirely and started using watercolors and watercolor pencils.
Do everything you gotta do and then put on ONE thin coat of dull.

Someone said to use pastels then spray a cloud of dullcote in the air, then fly your model through it. I tried it on my Chiss fighter and so far it seems like that was enough to stick everything to the model. I've dusted with a duster and nothing came off. Still, even doing that my weathering was too muted. I think on my next model I'm going to try Axlotl's suggestions of exaggerating the weathering more.

I wouldn't do that. Too many coats of clear matte will cloud your finish BADLY.
I usually just over-exaggerate my pastels slightly to compensate for the muting effect of the dull coat.
Actually, I've stopped using pastels entirely and started using watercolors and watercolor pencils.
Do everything you gotta do and then put on ONE thin coat of dull.

I've actually never had that problem, luckily, though I have definitely heard of it happening to people. I do appreciate the advice and I will work carefully for sure. I probably only see two more coats happening in addition to the one very thin one from yesterday: touch up the red on the top, one coat, finish the final detailing, final coat. I'll mask off the cockpit area, as that has definitely already been coated a couple times. I'm really proud of how the pilot came out, definitely don't want to mess that up!

Something I read in a modeling magazine once - and I'm gonna google this to make sure I'm right and not sending you down some path of utter madness - suggested letting your Testors dull-coat sit until it settles, then siphon off the carrier liquid and replace it with lighter fluid.
Apparently it's the carrier (or whatever the technical term for the stuff is) that makes dull-coats look milky and ruin pastel weathering.
Replacing it with lighter fluid eliminates this effect entirely, because the lighter fluid is only liquid long enough to transport the matte particles to your model, then it evaporates entirely.
Again, this is just something I read, and I've never tried it - but pro modelers swear it produces the best matte finish possible.

I'll try to find a link to back this up. BRB...

Can't find nothin'.
If I can remember, I'll try to find the magazine I read it in (I think I have it at home).
Hopefully, somebody awesome like moffeaton will pop in here and either validate me if I'm right, or correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've never heard of the lighter fluid thing, but I have heard of siphoning off some of the carrier to increase the "flatness".

So I got all the pastels (whole model, including small details like the blaster marks) finished. Very happy with how it all came out. I think this is the best I can do with my current level of ability. It's really hot, humid and windy today, so no chance I'll try dull coating it. Probably tomorrow, then I'll post more pics. It's basically done besides some details on the cannons.

The last thing will be sorting out the awful sprue marks on the canopy. I'm going to order some supplies for dealing with that. Any suggestions? I'm definitely grabbing some Novus Polish. I have a lot of ultra fine sandpaper, up to like 2000 grit I think, plus I have polishing wheels for my dremmel. I guess the main thing I could use recommendations on is what to use and how to remove the actual little nubs left from the sprue. They are pretty bad, very jagged. There's a sanding stick made by squadron, I think, that people really like, right? Any recommended tutorials? Thanks in advance!

you guys should try the Tamiya weathering kits, works amazing for heavy or very fine streaks especially for the Falcon, and the dull coat wont fade it at all, here the results on a few of my models to give you a idea.

DSC04648.JPGDSC_9768.jpgDSC04601.JPG

,DSC04646.JPG

Really, you find they are unaffected by the dull coat? What do you usually use to apply them? I normally use flat, stiff brushes for pastels. Lately they're all worn out so I've been going with q tips, which has been awful. Good for a larger flat surface but if there are angles or raised details they work poorly. Your shuttle looks great!

Really, you find they are unaffected by the dull coat? What do you usually use to apply them? I normally use flat, stiff brushes for pastels. Lately they're all worn out so I've been going with q tips, which has been awful. Good for a larger flat surface but if there are angles or raised details they work poorly. Your shuttle looks great!
I found these to apply my falcon streaks

20160726_144644_zpszau8bag7.png

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Are those just pointy Q-Tips or some modelling tool? I need those now! :lol I have never done streaks that I was happy with. I usually use a fine tip brush, so maybe that's my problem.

Are those just pointy Q-Tips or some modelling tool? I need those now! [emoji38] I have never done streaks that I was happy with. I usually use a fine tip brush, so maybe that's my problem.
I found them at an anime shop. They're a total game changer.

Use them along side tape for a straight streak and life is much better

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think tamiya makes something similar- I'm going to search around and I'll def post what I find. Regular q tips are really awful. Totally imprecise and they disintegrate after 2 minutes as well.

Update on the a wing: got it in a box, on hold. I worked on my y wing all weekend. I'm really close with the a wing but I need some time before I commit. Here's an updated pic. Sorry the lighting doesn't match the last ones at all. I'm definitely interested in any comments or criticism at this point while it's still fixable, before I seal this thing up! Hit me with the harshest nitpicking- I know it's always a risk with new posters but I promise I can take it and won't get weird. I just want to improve and I know there are a lot of keen eyes here that can help.

P.S. just this evening, after getting this far along, I finally run across the studio model pics on modeler magic. Dammit! Really could have used those last week!

20160909_151746-1.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back