Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

Fellas ... do we know what real world part this truly comes from?

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/...elding 2017-04-24 om 21.42.39_zps5ndppoxt.png

Chaïm

Hi Chaim, that's a big unknown, as far as I'm aware.. I've searched for it on and off over the years and for a while thought it might be a form of Composite Hose, not this stuff exactly but as a rough example something along these lines:
http://www.new-line.com/hose/petrol...se/arpe-bioethanol-composite-drop-hose-100psi

Looking at the Reveal hose it seems there's an internal as well as external wire helix as composite hoses tend to have, but composite hoses are tough and very hard to compress into the Reveal's flattened shape. At least the sample I had once was.

I remember looking around the Imperial War Museum here in London once, and seeing part of a Lancaster Bomber that was displayed such that you could climb/crawl part the way through, I remember seeing a hose inside that plane that looked very close! Fat chance of getting hold of any if it's WW2 era material! but it could possibly be aviation related?

...anyone got any Lancaster Bombers at home?

That's awesome work Ben, they're looking great!

For my own prop I scaled these forehead parts, (as well as the '1-4' linkages and the clusters of layered up little bits on the sides right at the back) all at 1mm thick anyway. I'm not at all suggesting I'm right but I don't think 0.2mm would make much of a difference so I don't think you've had to compromise too much, they look terrific :)
Thanks Jeremy at least I know I'm on the right track the 1-4 linkage is on my list to confirm as the correct shape and size before I get that photo etched ( need a local Guinea pig ) to send one of my parts to, some one in the uk maybe London area I've heard of a nice chap in that area ;)

I don't have a list and instead of me having to go back through 20 pages ... perhaps could you shoot and post just 1 picture with all the parts you have made sofar as a summary ... that would be lovely :)

gonk27 ... it's quite possible they used aviation parts ... Lucasfilm purchased quite some scrap back in 1976 ... perhaps some of it was left over for ROTJ :)

Chaïm

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a list and instead of me having to go back through 20 pages ... perhaps could you shoot and post just 1 picture with all the parts you have made sofar as a summary ... that would be lovely :)

@gonk27 ... it's quite possible they used aviation parts ... Lucasfilm purchased quite some scrap back in 1976 ... perhaps some of it was left over for ROTJ :)

Chaïm
i will post pics tomorrow with an update on my parts

After 6 attempts on these I finally got this size by scaling them from Paris expo photos as you can see
View attachment 725168View attachment 725166View attachment 725165
View attachment 725167
i wanted them 1.2mm but the etchers said because of the width of the legs/stems/gaps they could only do 1mm for the etching process
the other brow linkages with the holes and the top crown linkage will also be cut in 1mm and be sold as 3 per set as they are all the same size just different legs and spacing
thanks for asking Mark

Ben

They look nice...the only thing that I see is,that the "LTRS" letters are a little bit too thick.They should be thinner.

:facepalm ... Ssssshh Kroenen77 ... Ben was so happy with his result ... remember he's got OCD issues ... Original Cloning Disorder ... he won't be happy now :wacko

Chaïm

Etching on this next
View attachment 722014
Also a new vocoder fine grill is on order.

What was that did I hear Kroenen77 cheer :lol

What !!! What !!! WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I've got them wrong again :facepalm

remember this post Mark !!! You know I publish scale pics before it goes to cut couldn't you say something then OMG My OCD is kicking in now, I have to re-draw them, print it out, double check it, post it on the RPF for you all to see , send it off lots of emails money out the bank AGAIN !!!!!!

Oh oh wait a minute !!! I think I might have taken the ever so slightly wording into account ( I thought ahead ) "why" I hear you say because a while back I had some pieces engraved but the engraving was just not deep enough and when I test painted them the lettering was virtually non recognisable so I made the lettering ever and I mean ever so slightly increased in size as not to loose the look when painted BUT if they still don't look right when painted then I will just have to get really OCD on it :lol:wacko
its only money and you can't take it with you

Oh no...that was not a bad intention!!!I have not seen all the work for this letters because I´m not reading everyday here on board.:$:$:cry

But please look...the letters are too thick and to near.Thats sadly a fact.

29058770zy.jpg

Did I not sent you a copy of my parts?I would say my letters are ok...but not the shape of my part.Mine are made with a laser.

29058837ug.jpg

Last edited:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I hate you :lol but I still love you !!!!!
back to the drawing board
can't get them right without criticism cheers Mark
my wife really really hates you right now, but I'm loving the challenge ( I'm still smiling)

- - - Updated - - -

They will still do for anybody who is not building a screen accurate mask

I will redraw theses up tomorrow, with the help of Kroenen77 and his very helpful eye for detail I've also noticed my little notch/cut out is not the right shape so I will also alter this
IMG_0357.JPG
I need to improve on my eye for details or I'm going to end up poor and in the gutter, these parts need to be the best possible

So ... you'll up the ante? ... In other words go up a notch :lol ... sorry :$ ... I do appreciate you're efforts, Ben ... perhaps indeed it would be wise to show us your drawings on the board before you press 'send to print'? We're here for you, lad . . . cheering you on ... word of the wise to the missus . . . give her some beautiful bouquet of tulips once in a while that should do it, right?

Chaïm

Thanks Chaim she truly understands, she always gets flowers, she's not angry or upset with Mark I was only joking shes more upset with me for not paying attention to detail, I always post what I'm going to get cut but not getting enough feedback in time, that's probably my impatience, but hey onwards and upwards, see the updates tomorrow :wacko:wacko

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I hate you :lol but I still love you !!!!!
back to the drawing board
can't get them right without criticism cheers Mark
my wife really really hates you right now, but I'm loving the challenge ( I'm still smiling)

- - - Updated - - -

They will still do for anybody who is not building a screen accurate mask

Haha..my own wife hates me for my hobby...so I think I can handle the hate of yours also!Haha!:lol;)

Do you now understand the words "Work slow" that I said to you at the beginning of your project?I lost so much money over the years with this mask and other project because I was too fast.But thats the hobby...if we all would build perfect props in the first attempt we would not need this board.:)

Last edited:
Update again!!!!! :lol
Ive altered the lettering and the little cut out at the end I've also altered all the cutouts on the other brow linkage and top crown linkage all are still matching
IMG_0361.JPGIMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0364.PNG
It's a thinner text and spaced slightly wider as the first attempt the S was to close to the R
input input input

I need at least 3 different comments all confirming the same if I get 3 good to go then I will send to cut
the shape is good it's just the text, I'm a lot happier with it but what do I know after looking and looking I've gone Vader blind ( fresh eyes please )
IMG_0363.JPG

Last edited:
Much better..but I would make the letters a little bit smaller.Only a 10% I would say.Look at the distance to the edge of the part.And the R has a smaller arch on the Original.

29070446uh.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back