Sherlock Holmes (Granada/Brett) props

Jeremy Brett is Holmes for me, through and through, and thats not to take anything away from anyone else who has portrayed him, its a similar case with Tom Baker being the definitive Doctor, some people are born to bring certain characters to life, I have the 18 disc boxset and try to make sure I rewatch one story every week, for me it never gets old!

For me, Jeremy is the perfect Holmes too, especially in the first series, with Basil Rathbone and Peter Cushing as a good 2nd and 3rd. Benedict Cumberbatch is also a good Holmes, might put him 3th if he starred in a 19th century version, now I'd put him 4th ;).

I have not been to that exhibition. However, I have visited the London Film Museum in early 2013 (the museum is located on the eastbank, close to the London Eye) In this museum, they have the official 221b Bakerstreet set from the Granada television series. It was wonderful to see all the props there. (The deerstalker was there too) It was really cool to see the familiar room and setpieces. I would really recommend it to all fans of the Granada series.

Yeah, that's it. They changed it slightly however and the set up is a little bit different now. It's quite nice to see everything in real for once and I combined this visit with a Sherlock Holmes themed trip I made to London in which I visited a lot of locations from the books and the several film adaptations.

I'm a huge fan of Jeremy Brett to me he'll always be THE Sherlock Holmes! I've watched him for years & still do. Incredible talent. I am wanting to have an enlarged b&w photo of the Reichenbach Falls print that hangs over Sherlock's mantle in the Granada series. I have some small copies but am worried the pixels would show if I try to have them blown up. Does anyone have a larger copy of the print they could share with me via email? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 10.02.32.png

Re. print size, one further thought; the original looks to have a deep mat around it (of perhaps 3"?) so the print size of the picture should allow for that too, so as not to crop too much of the image with the mat.

It's really nice to see some appreciation for Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes - in my opinion, THE best Sherlock Holmes performance ever (although I AM warming up to Benedict Cumberbatch's performance).

For me Jeremy Brett will always be THE Sherlock Holmes! Totally authentic, masterful, I could go on & on. He even looked like one expected Holmes to look, & was the right age to give Holmes the gravitase that one would hope for. I like Benedict's performance a bit more each time, but the new Sherlock is a bit too frenetic & scattered for my tastes, I just preferred the Granada series because of Brett & because they stayed truer to the books. One story I always wished Brett & Granada had done was "The Five Orange Pips" that would have been fun. I grew up here in the US watching Brett on PBS "Mystery" hosted by Diana Rigg, & to this day I watch his Holmes episodes over & over. They are like a fine wine, they just keep getting better! Perfection.

the 1/6th scale figures are very impressive. the likeness is remarkable. great work. are you going to make a 1/6th scale 221b baker street for them?

Also, I have ordered what I believe is the correct size gemstone for the Blue Carbuncle. I will post the finding as soon as it arrives. Nice to see so many Holmes fans here. The Granada series is by far superior to any other incarnation past or present.

Also, I have ordered what I believe is the correct size gemstone for the Blue Carbuncle. I will post the finding as soon as it arrives. Nice to see so many Holmes fans here. The Granada series is by far superior to any other incarnation past or present.

Should be just about 13 carats -- not a large stone. Unless you're talking about the one in the Granada version -- they used something considerably larger, for television.

Screen Shot 2014-08-03 at 9.51.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-03 at 9.51.28 PM.png

That is correct. The closest size I could estimate was 30mm x 20mm. It seemed right, and I believe I found the right facet. We shall see.

Just came across this on eBay and Etsy...

MOD EDIT: Please do not post ebay links, thanks.

It is an exact match of the Napoleon bust from 'The Six Napoleons'. The problem is, it's only about half the size. I bought the one on Etsy, however the eBay item is still available. Here are a few screen shots from the series:

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 10.58.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-04 at 11.00.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-04 at 11.02.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-04 at 11.08.58 PM.png

[B said:
MOD EDIT: Please do not post ebay links, thanks.[/B]

That is absurd. Anyway, here is an image of the item listed.

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 3.21.04 PM.png

It is titled "Vintage Napoleon Bust in Metal Bronze Patina on Marble Base" if anyone is interested in looking it up. Again, it is smaller than the screen used prop, however it is the only exact sculpt I could find. Maybe there is a larger version out there somewhere, or perhaps the Granada crew had used it as a model to sculpt a larger version.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back