Kevin's scatter build thread

So - reading through this - here are my thoughts.

1) i'm extremely impressed with the work here, especially without the whole shop set-up

2) Most likely *cringe* the disc wasn't etched. There's a ridge from paint and glue build up on the real gun, and it probably had a Michell Thorens pulley disc (like the imperial hats/belts) on there, as thats what was on the merr-sonn prior to the shop switching bottom frames.

3) Todds BB is meant for his base gun only. It's odd they sell it as a separate kit, without any help to tap your own Denix. I do think the real Mauser was built this way, as the "barrel inside a barrel" seems a little counter intuitive, for firearms sake.

4)I'm in a numbering mood tonight, sorry if this is a weird format :lol

5) also, I've seen a Todd kit where the booster didn't fit all the way in the flash hider. it has to be ground a hair smaller in diameter. That could be forcing your FH too far forward too!

Thank you. The disk etching is so slight, it could be covered easily with a thin (1/2 mill) disk and none would be the wiser. I'm glad someone chimed in and corrected me. I have read in other threads that the disk was cut in when I asked what others were using for a disk. Guess I should have kept asking or got a 2nd opinion. Lol.

So what do I need to fix this and install a proper disk. My thought is to use some 1/2 mill aluminum sheet metal I already have. I can cut the exact size and adhere it to the gun. This will both, fill and raise ever so slightly.

Thanks for stepping in when you did. It should be an easy fix once I know what it should be that is.

Kevin

Here is where I am so far.
IMG_2782.JPGIMG_2783.JPGIMG_2781.JPGIMG_2786.JPGIMG_2785.JPGIMG_2784.JPG
I am going for that screen used look. Still needs a little more weathering. Also need to install the barrel greebies and the grill. I would also like to replace the grip screws.

Questions
Todd gives you 3 grills. Are these to be cut and placed to form the grill.? Are there any links or guides on how this is done. ALSO, DID HE GIVE EXTRAS FOR THE BOO BOO FACTOR
20161117_183145.jpg

What are you using for replacement grip screws. It appears to be a nut but it's hard to tell from the photos I have seen. Also appears to be brass.

Finally, ideas would be appreciated for my mystery disk mishap.

Thanks for looking
Kevin

Last edited:
So - reading through this - here are my thoughts.

1) i'm extremely impressed with the work here, especially without the whole shop set-up

2) Most likely *cringe* the disc wasn't etched. There's a ridge from paint and glue build up on the real gun, and it probably had a Michell Thorens pulley disc (like the imperial hats/belts) on there, as thats what was on the merr-sonn prior to the shop switching bottom frames.

3) Todds BB is meant for his base gun only. It's odd they sell it as a separate kit, without any help to tap your own Denix. I do think the real Mauser was built this way, as the "barrel inside a barrel" seems a little counter intuitive, for firearms sake.

4)I'm in a numbering mood tonight, sorry if this is a weird format :lol

5) also, I've seen a Todd kit where the booster didn't fit all the way in the flash hider. it has to be ground a hair smaller in diameter. That could be forcing your FH too far forward too!

tom this is the first i ever heard of this?! so exciting! do u have a link or a picture for me to understand what you mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is where I am so far.
View attachment 683881View attachment 683882View attachment 683883View attachment 683884View attachment 683885View attachment 683886
I am going for that screen used look. Still needs a little more weathering. Also need to install the barrel greebies and the grill. I would also like to replace the grip screws.

Questions
Todd gives you 3 grills. Are these to be cut and placed to form the grill.? Are there any links or guides on how this is done. ALSO, DID HE GIVE EXTRAS FOR THE BOO BOO FACTOR
View attachment 683887

What are you using for replacement grip screws. It appears to be a nut but it's hard to tell from the photos I have seen. Also appears to be brass.

Finally, ideas would be appreciated for my mystery disk mishap.

Thanks for looking
Kevin

kevin looking good buddy!! what are those grills made out of? i didnt know his kit required so much physically changing work.

tom this is the first i ever heard of this?! so exciting! do u have a link or a picture for me to understand what you mean?

- - - Updated - - -

kevin looking good buddy!! what are those grills made out of? i didnt know his kit required so much physically changing work.
they feel like ABS but could be just a hard plastic.
I really like this kit, the only knock I can put on it is, I believe it should have a Web page on assembly techniques. Other than that, it's great.

When I finally finish, I think I'm going to weigh it to show how heavy it really is

they feel like ABS but could be just a hard plastic.
I really like this kit, the only knock I can put on it is, I believe it should have a Web page on assembly techniques. Other than that, it's great.

one good thing in my case is he gives you 3 grills so encase i screw up on the first one i can try and not to screw up on the second! lol

I was able to adjust the hider. I just needed to file the holder a bit on the edges and give it a wack with the hammer and it looks correct now.
View attachment 683940
I'm still looking for some clear shots of the greebies for the barrel. From what I have seen, the t track is more of a remnants with only 1 of the dropper looking parts attached.

- - - Updated - - -

one good thing in my case is he gives you 3 grills so encase i screw up on the first one i can try and not to screw up on the second! lol
Dido, I have 3 as well. These must be an easy piece to mess up. Kind of like the stormtrooper bucket ears, they gave me 2 sets

- - - Updated - - -

I believe I got most of my info from that ANH DL-44 thread, and the important members. They discuss the disc and in the end its found to be thus.

Also, it takes roughly 2, or 1 1/2 Tomtit cylinders to make the grill, so yes there's one extra! There is a colored photo of the separation between the two. I believe it's a shaped whole one and the thicker part of the second.

Looky, looky! Romans obiwan that just arrived. I have been waiting for this opportunity so han can wait a few more days. Just bought it from the junk yard from ssdesigner.

Photos do no justice for this piece. Looks so much cooler in hand. It's already weathered but I will do some cleaning and I would like to dull the sink knob and clamp just a tad.

20161118_173632.jpg
It's been weathered with real rust so I need to clean that off. Time, rust and metal don't mix well.
1479512749759371609987.jpg

Please don't clean the rust of . . . just try to preserve it with a solution that just keeps the oxygen outside . . . museum wax is what I've read somewhere eons ago that does the job ... if I'm not mistaken ... otherwise folks feel free to correct me and add better advice ... it's that real rust which will give that unique weathering effect to your saber to make your OB1 ANH even more believable of being a weapon of a more civilized age :)

Chaim

Looky, looky! Romans obiwan that just arrived. I have been waiting for this opportunity so han can wait a few more days. Just bought it from the junk yard from ssdesigner.

Photos do no justice for this piece. Looks so much cooler in hand. It's already weathered but I will do some cleaning and I would like to dull the sink knob and clamp just a tad.

View attachment 684164
It's been weathered with real rust so I need to clean that off. Time, rust and metal don't mix well.
View attachment 684165

what a score... wicked lucky man!!

Please don't clean the rust of . . . just try to preserve it with a solution that just keeps the oxygen outside . . . museum wax is what I've read somewhere eons ago that does the job ... if I'm not mistaken ... otherwise folks feel free to correct me and add better advice ... it's that real rust which will give that unique weathering effect to your saber to make your OB1 ANH even more believable of being a weapon of a more civilized age :)

Chaim
The rust will stay. I had to clean the inside because it was full of rust and beginning to take over. Here in humid florida I see this all the time. If left alone, the entire grenade will be rust in a week. I need to shoot it with a clear coat to stop the rust to continue into the metal.
20161118_185734.jpg
The weathered brass already looks fantastic
20161118_190321.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Question, I'm I alone or does the clamp and sink knob appear to be too shiny 20161118_190548.jpg

To answer your question ... just hold your completed lightsaber in your hands at least twice a day and swish and swoosh it around the block in your own neighbourhood, possibly with uncleaned hands from your day .... that will dull it in no time ... by the way a real vintage plastic chromed pommel can be quite shiny too at times as can a G R A F L E X clamp ;)

Chaim

To answer your question ... just hold your completed lightsaber in your hands at least twice a day and swish and swoosh it around the block in your own neighbourhood, possibly with uncleaned hands from your day .... that will dull it in no time ... by the way a real vintage plastic chromed pommel can be quite shiny too at times as can a G R A F L E X clamp ;)

Chaim
thank you, sometimes I get so wrapped up in making things look old, I forget that some pieces just won't age.

This will certainly be the crown jewel of my saber collection. I will need to go buy a new piece of all thread (threaded rod) because this one is too short. No biggie, ace is right up the street and I have the proper tools to cut the threads without damage. I think I want to explore that museum wax you mentioned

I need to try better angles because the rust isn't showing up in the photos.
20161118_201031.jpg20161118_201056.jpg20161118_201948.jpg

For fun, I took a shot of romans with a 3d print
20161118_203958.jpg

Last edited:
I believe I got most of my info from that ANH DL-44 thread, and the important members. They discuss the disc and in the end its found to be thus.

Also, it takes roughly 2, or 1 1/2 Tomtit cylinders to make the grill, so yes there's one extra! There is a colored photo of the separation between the two. I believe it's a shaped whole one and the thicker part of the second.

Lol, there are about 10 of these threads. Can you link the one you mentioned. Pretty please with lightsabers on top

I went back to my dl44 to address the mystery disk. Luckily the etching was mostly a scratch. I was able to add some acrylic paint and it evened it all out.
IMG_2787.JPG
After it dried I cleaned around it and washed a little color in and then dry brushed some weathering
IMG_2790.JPG
After alot of reading about this so called mystery disk, it was told the build up was possibly glue from a part that fell off so I was thinking about painting a coat of Elmer s on it. I'm still weathering the entire blaster copying the reference photos so we will see

progress looks good! that thread tom shared was new to me, i dont remember reading the mystery disc part! some real good theories in there. so what do you plan to do to the romans obi wan?!?!

progress looks good! that thread tom shared was new to me, i dont remember reading the mystery disc part! some real good theories in there. so what do you plan to do to the romans obi wan?!?!

I think I'm going to look into that wax to coat the rust. But not much more than that accept display it. Proudly

Thanks, there is a lot of detail involved with Hans blaster. Still looking for that clear cut shot of the barrel greebie set up. Some shots have a partial t track with one antenna and others have the full track with 2 antennas. I'm not in a hurry to finish this, but I would like to find the smoking gun when it comes to answers anyway. This Dl44 seems to still have some undefined mysteries.

Actually I take that back about the obiwan saber. I have roys completion set for romans graflex in hand. The exacta card that came with the obiwan doesn't sit well in the clamp however, Roys fits perfect. I was planing on digging into parks mpp anyway so I just ordered the parts minus the shroud to redo it as well as ordered another card for obiwans. Roy recommend the custom sabers shop replica mpp clamp, however that is not in stock so I m on the notification email list

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back