Playing with foam....

Having watched Conan the Destroyer a while back I'd forgotten how much I love the bad guys mace/axe combination weapon so decided I'd make it but with a bit of a MungBean style (as I didn't like the way the spikes were done in the film version)...so one polystyrene ball, a bit of plastic tubing, a bit of curtain rod & a shed load of foam spikes later & we have ..... Bombaata's mace a la MungBean!

20170501_161601.jpg 20170501_161620.jpg

Next stop latex land, texture n paint ... more to follow...

As always C&C's welcome

Thanks
Taz

20170501_161601.jpg

20170501_161620.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Having watched Conan the Destroyer a while back I'd forgotten how much I love the bad guys mace/axe combination weapon so decided I'd make it but with a bit of a MungBean style (as I didn't like the way the spikes were done in the film version)...so one polystyrene ball, a bit of plastic tubing, a bit of curtain rod & a shed load of foam spikes later & we have ..... Bombaata's mace a la MungBean!

View attachment 726389 View attachment 726390

Next stop latex land, texture n paint ... more to follow...

As always C&C's welcome

Thanks
Taz

Bombaata Weapon Part II ... latex! OK the Maxe (Mace/Axe combo) has been latexed up and textured... next stop paint/weathering ...more in Part III

20170507_124508.jpg 20170507_124525.jpg 20170507_124529.jpg

As always C&C's welcome

Thanks
Taz

20170507_124508.jpg

20170507_124525.jpg

20170507_124529.jpg

Knight Warden Helmet Part I - here's a variation of the Knight Warden helmet from the UbiSoft game For Honor.. base build complete..next stop latex & texture!

warden_barbuteRHSbase.jpg warden_barbuteFRONTbase.jpg warden_barbuteLHSbase.jpg

As always C&C's welcome.

Thanks
Taz

warden_barbuteRHSbase.jpg

warden_barbuteFRONTbase.jpg

warden_barbuteLHSbase.jpg

Knight Warden Helmet Part II - My variation of the Knight Warden helmet from the UbiSoft game For Honor.. all complete, but unfortunately I'm not 100% happy . I was trying some different techniques, and sometimes they pay off and sometimes they don't :facepalm...maybe a remodel is on the cards for later ... but next hmmm.. not sure what maybe I go all Viking or maybe I go more Roman?

warden_barbute_LHS.jpg warden_barbute_front.jpg warden_barbute_RHS.jpg warden_barbute_skull.jpg

As always C&C's welcome

Thanks
Taz

warden_barbute_LHS.jpg

warden_barbute_front.jpg

warden_barbute_RHS.jpg

warden_barbute_skull.jpg

That helmet is awesome @MungBean.

I have been dragging my feet on my latest project, mostly because I'm trying something much harder than my last.
My wife wants to do a casual Captian Phasma in September, so my skills with foam stretched to say the least.
It is still a work in progress and thankfully I still have some time to work on it.

I thought from the beginning I would need to use some kind of filler to make it smooth enough to get the chrome look, so I just worked on getting a structure and shape. Afterward I tried putting craft foam on as a skin and it was pretty bad, but again this is all new to me. Eventually, after a lot of bondo, it is starting to take shape.

Attachments

• IMG_4584.JPG
    IMG_4584.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4585.JPG
    IMG_4585.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4586.JPG
    IMG_4586.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4582.JPG
    IMG_4582.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4583.JPG
    IMG_4583.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
spacedog, that's looking cool! Not sure if these guys deliver outside of UK, but may be worthwhile checking out this product: https://www.poly-props.com/product-page/shield-resin. I've used it on a couple of projects and it's good at smoothing foam out to give you a more fibreglass feel, no idea if it would work for a chrome finish, but I'm guessing with a smooth finish & black undercoat it may work.

Knight Warden helmet remodelled...I really wasn't happy with the knight warden helmet I did earlier..couldn't say why, I just know I wasn't happy with it, so I made some more templates (based of screenshots & historical plans) & put another one together... now I'm a happy MungBean!

warden_game_front.jpg warden_game_front_close.jpg warden_game_LHS.jpg warden_game_RHS.jpg

As always C&C's welcome

Taz

warden_game_front.jpg

warden_game_front_close.jpg

warden_game_LHS.jpg

warden_game_RHS.jpg

MungBean sorry for the lack of updates and feedback. The axe/mace looks great and the re-worked helm is cool.

I managed to finished my scratch built Phasma helmet in time for my wife to wear it. The end result was frustrating for me, but my wife was very happy.
I didn't take many photos as I was under a time crunch, but here are a couple.
.IMG_4676.JPGIMG_4678.JPGIMG_4675.JPG

I haven't really tried foam weapons before, but I have had my fill of helmets for a while, so I made an axe.
My wife and I have had fun playing Darkest Dungeon and talked about cosplaying a couple characters. The bounty hunter has an odd axe with a double cresent shape on one side. The good thing is the weapon in the game has lots of battle damage so my foam can be as rough as I want. No smooth shiny surfaces. I made it with a cardboard tube handle and 10mm foam mats. The tube got covered in thin craft foam and I used a soldering iron to do the grip and battle damage. Some plastidip and some acrylic paint and it's done.
Next is the vestal' mace.
IMG_4682.JPGIMG_4681.JPG

I'm not here t fo(a)ment anything, but you leave us foaming at the mouth for more.

Is it foam-fitting? I'm gonna foam my friends! Do people know this isn't real, that it is foany ?

what you talking about? it is just paint over stuff with bubbles ;) :p

Here is the bounty hunter character from the game darkest dungeon.
IMG_4700.JPG
He uses a weighted hook in his offhand, so I've been messing about trying to make one. The ball is obviously layers of foam, and the hook is worbla with foam glued to it.
I'm still working on layering some depth in the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_4699.JPG
    IMG_4699.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4698.JPG
    IMG_4698.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4697.JPG
    IMG_4697.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4696.JPG
    IMG_4696.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 47
I love what you're doing. It would take me a week of muddle and fuddle just to get some shape and you just bang 'em out. Brilliant. Detailed painting tips are helpful, thanks.

I am not sure if you are referring to what I'm doing, but if you are - thanks.

This is Mungbean's thread and I hope they come back to give us an update. I'm still pretty new to this and Mungbean has a lot more skills and knowledge with foam and painting.

I have finished painting the weighted hook for now. It is often shown as being bloodied in the game, so I gave it a shot. Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

IMG_4708.JPG

Here is the Vestal from Darkest Dungeon that my wife wants to cosplay this fall. I started making the mace for her a couple weeks back and almost finished the paint this weekend.

IMG_4711.JPG

Again it is made from a cardboard tube I found at work, some foam mats and craft foam. I used a Dap paintable product to fix problems with seams, then plasti-dip spray to seal the foam, followed by a spray can primer and lastly brush on acrylic paints.

IMG_4705.JPGIMG_4707.JPGIMG_4712.JPGIMG_4713.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back