Post Your 5TH ELEMENT props/replicas here

These are not finished yet, but here are the stones I made from MDF. I want to make the clear (tinted) parts that come out the tops and light each from underneath.

Attachments

• Stones.jpg
    Stones.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 102
Hello,

This is my first prop replica show off post i guess its a artic/urban camo style ZF-1 its 90% 3D printed only the hardware, electronics and the rocket are not printed. It still needs some parts i must buy like the hose on the scope and i really want some real gas struts.
View attachment 760947View attachment 760948View attachment 760949View attachment 760950View attachment 760951

Very cool! Are there any moving parts or are they static?

Did someone make the cigarette that's almost all filter?

I did a pretty extensive search recently and couldn't find any. I ended up buying these nicotine-free cigarettes that are all white and wrapping them with these rolling papers that have the cigarette print. I cut the "filter" part off and rolled it long-ways. It wraps around each cigarette almost completely, but there's still a tiny sliver it doesn't cover.

61TVhWF8soL._SL1000_.jpg urban-wraps-2-1024x683.jpg

They look great! I picked up these stones from a guy on the RPF Facebook page. He did a run last year and had a few sets left. D-factory Collectibles is the name of his company (you can search Facebook for it). They're hefty, made from a stone like material, and come with nice stands.

View attachment 726306

How are these holding up? After seeing your post I ordered a set which arrived today. They were very well packaged and look great, but 2 stones immediately began to Flake Off at the edges> They are basically made of Plaster. I emailed them just now and await a reply to see what they suggest. I should add Customer Service was great so far and the Only complaint I have is the chipping.

I literally gently slid them from the wrapping and set it in the stand when I noised the first chip. I am afraid to even handle them now.

Flaking stone.jpg

Oh that's a huge bummer. Mine are holding up fine. I only had one small blemish on the edge when they arrived, but it's on the back so I didn't make a big fuss.

IMG_1057.jpg

How are these holding up? After seeing your post I ordered a set which arrived today. They were very well packaged and look great, but 2 stones immediately began to Flake Off at the edges> They are basically made of Plaster. I emailed them just now and await a reply to see what they suggest. I should add Customer Service was great so far and the Only complaint I have is the chipping.

I literally gently slid them from the wrapping and set it in the stand when I noised the first chip. I am afraid to even handle them now.

View attachment 790288

I am going to attempt to mold and cast mine soon. The difference I will be doing is to use my new found mix of epoxy and sand. So my stones will be "stone".

I should add that I already got an email response. They said please send more pictures and will get back to you. So I did.

What you suggested is a great idea. In fact I thought it might be wise to do a cast of mine before they crumble. I may just have one bad one but another chip came off when I was sending them more pictures :( Worst part of this deal is that shipping is nearly half the cost of the item, so to ship it back means I’d still be out the cost of the item… Which was the shipping cost… And have nothing at all to show for it.

It also crossed my mind I could stain the chipped portions the correct color and it would blend in since their old stones anyway. But that won’t work if it’s plaster that flakes and dries out.
DAA6DB3E-1832-46B6-87E0-21ADA42B1452.jpeg

I should add that I already got an email response. They said please send more pictures and will get back to you. So I did.

What you suggested is a great idea. In fact I thought it might be wise to do a cast of mine before they crumble. I may just have one bad one but another chip came off when I was sending them more pictures :( Worst part of this deal is that shipping is nearly half the cost of the item, so to ship it back means I’d still be out the cost of the item… Which was the shipping cost… And have nothing at all to show for it.

It also crossed my mind I could stain the chipped portions the correct color and it would blend in since their old stones anyway. But that won’t work if it’s plaster that flakes and dries out.
View attachment 790407

What are your stones made from? Plaster or resin?

Resin normally doesn't chip off like that. Some quick set polyurethanes will sometimes delaminate if slush casting has been used.

I've moved to using epoxy for my hard casts. It can get hot and crack if poured too thick, but once cured, just bounces off concrete when dropped.

What are your stones made from? Plaster or resin?

Resin normally doesn't chip off like that. Some quick set polyurethanes will sometimes delaminate if slush casting has been used.

I've moved to using epoxy for my hard casts. It can get hot and crack if poured too thick, but once cured, just bounces off concrete when dropped.

DFactory website FAQ says made from "sulfate mineral (gypsum) material ". I didn't look that up until I got the problem...it's plaster like used in drywall.
As WIKI says "Gypsum is a soft sulfate mineral composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate...widely mined and is used as a fertilizer, and as the main constituent in many forms ofplaster, blackboard chalk and wallboard".

If I had only known.

Last edited by a moderator:
DFactory website FAQ says made from "sulfate mineral (gypsum) material ". I didn't look that up until I got the problem...it's plaster like used in drywall.
As WIKI says "Gypsum is a soft sulfate mineral composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate...widely mined and is used as a fertilizer, and as the main constituent in many forms ofplaster, blackboard chalk and wallboard".

If I had only known.

Damn. And now it is the "sulfate" part that I am thinking that might prevent you from making a mold. Most additive silicone won't cure if they come in contact with any product containing sulfur.

Gypsum is a soft sulfate mineral composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate, with the chemical formula CaSO. [SUB]4[/SUB]· 2H[SUB]2[/SUB]O.

It is the SO4 part that is of concern here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if I can spray it with a clear coat that will hold it without distorting the look.
I almost went with these, but $100 per finished stone held me back. Also they look a bit over finished to me. Although he does have a kit. Do you know anybody who has these?
http://goldenarmor.com/fifthelementstones/?SSScrollPosition=0

View attachment 790410

A sealant might work, but in the end, if temperature or environment is causing them to crack, they will still crack. Also a sealant could make them too shiny.

$400 for a set? I agree that these looks a bit over done.

When I do mine, part of what I want to do is physically break them and glue the bits together to create real cracks.

I wonder if I can spray it with a clear coat that will hold it without distorting the look.
I almost went with these, but $100 per finished stone held me back. Also they look a bit over finished to me. Although he does have a kit. Do you know anybody who has these?
http://goldenarmor.com/fifthelementstones/?SSScrollPosition=0

View attachment 790410

Oh stay away from golden armor. He’s a known recaster and his products are crap. He’s a banned member here too. I believe his username was Chaucer44 or something. There’s an entire thread about his horrible practices over the years.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back