Build: Luke Macrobinoculars (ANH Hero)

I have 6 extra's of these I don't need.....

IMG_2493.JPG

Last edited:
I'm in for some of the female connectors, well, any parts found/offered, as well.

Over the years, I've bought macro parts from at least three people in this thread, maybe more, lol. I've got all the cameras and kalimar lenses from eBay, the metal lens plate from DEC, a resin lens plate from Trooper, Cameron's mystery box, Trooper's mystery box and I think transition box, and as of this morning I have ordered the connector offered by PoSW. Not sure if I have the metal belt hook thing? It's driving me crazy at work, can't wait to get home and have a look.

Thanks guys, great research and SPIRIT OF SHARING. And you've done it all without Photobucket, thank the maker! What a pleasure to be part of this community!

Tom

While I have the attention of so many established macrobinoc builders/enthusiasts here, I'm going to go ahead and quote my first post and see if anyone can shed some light on this question that I still have about the Kalimar viewer?

Kalimar Lens Hood:
It's in great shape, with just a small ding on the top plate. From staring at my "De-Specialized" screen-grabs, it looks like the top flap was painted black, though I don't see anybody doing this with their replicas. Am I looking at this incorrectly, or are people just hesitant to paint it due to the rarity/price of the Kalimar, or due to uncertainty if it's painted or not?

Here are the clearest frames I could find in the de-specialized ANH cut, from two separate scenes ....

there is allot of people that choose not to replicate the prop...properly :) did you see that what i did :lol
that part of the view hood should be painted black

While I have the attention of so many established macrobinoc builders/enthusiasts here, I'm going to go ahead and quote my first post and see if anyone can shed some light on this question that I still have about the Kalimar viewer?

Here are the clearest frames I could find in the de-specialized ANH cut, from two separate scenes ....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4561/38672848392_e56dacac02_o.png

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4547/24832367798_a13ee3ae63_o.png

I don't see two boards, and don't think they would have been stacked for any reason after giving it more thought.

This seems closest so far to what I think we are seeing, IMHO.

My eyes just don't see two boards. Here is my interpretation. I still have to decided if the B&W photo really shows a protruding rod or if its possibly a reflection of the bottom of the rectangle board or a pin.
View attachment 775952View attachment 775953View attachment 775954View attachment 775955

- - - Updated - - -
MastahBlastah : yes it should be painted, just like the lenses should be painted.
Cameron : nicely done. Mine were made w/ styrene.

Last edited by a moderator:

I always paint that flap black and also add the triangular piece to the side.

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4561/38672848392_e56dacac02_o.png[/url]

[url]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4547/24832367798_a13ee3ae63_o.png[/url]
That wedge is interesting, it's a huge shame there simply doesn't appear to be any other clearer shots of what it might be, or its construction. The irony is that the good pictures are of the opposite side with the EIAJ plug :(

So I have this rare black Kalimar six sixty that's in pretty darn good shape. I'm going to put it up for some kind of trade for the gray one ( I'm not to much of a collector) but though I'd let you guys get first shot at it before it go's to the masses. PM me if your interested in some kind of trade.
IMG_9879.JPGIMG_9880.JPGIMG_9881.JPGIMG_9882.JPG
IMG_9883.JPGIMG_9581.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9580.JPG
    IMG_9580.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_9582.JPG
    IMG_9582.JPG
    977.5 KB · Views: 112
So I have this rare black Kalimar six sixty that's in pretty darn good shape. I'm going to put it up for some kind of trade for the gray one ( I'm not to much of a collector) but though I'd let you guys get first shot at it before it go's to the masses. PM me if your interested in some kind of trade.
View attachment 776766View attachment 776767View attachment 776768View attachment 776769
View attachment 776770View attachment 776764

A couple thoughts.
Im not sure who told you they are rare but while there are less of the all black versions Ive had 20-30 of these through the years of making Macros. As I offered via PM I would have considered if you added something to the trade because I paint them anyway but since the viewer is not usable on the macros without paint and since you believe they are worth more perhaps you should sell this "rare" one and buy a grey one.

Also, technically speaking, soliciting for trades has to be done in the sales forum and can't be done in a general thread even though we seem to be playing loosely occasionally.

I painted mine.

there is allot of people that choose not to replicate the prop...properly did you see that what i did
that part of the view hood should be painted black

yes it should be painted, just like the lenses should be painted.

I always paint that flap black and also add the triangular piece to the side.

I painted the view finder flap too

I painted mine.

I stand corrected! It seems that most people take it that far and paint the hood. I'm going that route as well, thinking satin black. Thanks for the feedback, all!

Now, for an update on the build. I had a productive holiday weekend, though I'm just now getting around to posting these photos. I've actually made some more progress since, and will have another update coming soon:

Tore down all of the cameras! Had to use my precision screwdriver kit to get to all the tiny screws/crevices:

Eumig Broken Down:

Lots of cool potential greeblies inside of the Eumig ... I think I'll use these on a custom build!

Measured the Eumig to find center for mounting the lens plate:

Test-fitting the lens plate ...

Looks pretty good!

Pried off the front plate, revealing the Eumig knob. It was cool to see the aluminum cone hiding underneath the knob, as seen in everyone's depiction of the mystery wedge ...

Bare front plate:

I snipped the needle from the piece to which it was oriinally mounted and just used a small piece of gaff tape to hold it in place ... splitting F4 & 5.6!

I just sort of started laying into the Seagull in an effort to get the big knob off, and only afterwards realized that this could have been accomplished by opening up the knob, removing all of the interior components, then screwing the knob off. I did manage to remove the vinyl very cleanly, and can always close it back up if I want to:

I also removed the Bell & Howell knob, and prepped the Seagull patterned plate by dremeling off the side tabs, and drilling two holes to allow it to sit between the B&H knob base and the red plastic piece (which I still need to paint grey before I close this thing up) I tried my best to replicate the rotation of the Seagull patterned plate in reference to the B&H cross-bar, as seen in stills ...

38700714112_2d996357a5_o.jpg

After fiddling with all of the pieces from the two knobs for a good while, this is the configuration I settled upon (starting with the Seagull knob on the left, and working towards the right) which seems to be at least close to the approach others have taken here:

Does anybody have suggestions as to the best way to mount the whole knob setup to the Eumig while allowing it to turn freely?

I also stripped the Kalimar, removing the viewer mounting bracket and the two small knobs:

Also took advantage of the warmer weather today and painted the lens plate ... still waiting for it to dry:

Finally, does anyone have suggestions on how to remove the small Seagull knobs? Is cutting them out the only option, or can they be pried out without damaging the housing? All feedback welcome!

More updates coming soon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back