Show your custom Lightsabers!

So this is what I've managed to cobble together of the last few days. It's a quite literal interpretation of Asajj Ventress' lightsaber (one of them, anyway) based on the design originally depicted in the 2003 Clone Wars micro-series.

To those unfamiliar or just simply forgot, this is what it originally looked like:

5004658-4606244213-Ventr.jpg

5470041-2875355908-50063.gif

And here is my depiction of the thing, made with things on-hand to keep in vein of the original lightsabers, including but not limited to vintage camera flashes. And as far as I'm aware, for the last 14 years, this may be the first attempt at it. Though I wanted to make it feel real-world like the original sabers, my main intention was to keep its simple animated quality and not deviate too far off course its design. Of course, within the realms of the real and pre-fabricated.

I like to think I succeeded.

IMG_6254.JPG

IMG_6249.JPG IMG_6253.JPG IMG_6256.JPG IMG_6258.JPG

Again, this was made with things I just conveniently had on hand. The body segments are hacked up remains of left-over Graflite from my Graf-Staff-Saber build and an old vacuum extension hose; the neck is the interior gizmo from an extra Heiland flash I bought for the endcap (for my ESB Heiland conversion); the ignition button is also from the same Heiland flash. The emitter is just some left over alu tubing I had from my Canon builds cut down and stuck to the rubber thing, that originally was stuck on the end of the Heiland bulb gizmo, and the whole assembly was topped onto some washers and secured into a little plumbing bit I popped into the neck with a screw. Finally, the endcap is from the Vader Heiland conversion I couldn't bring myself to throw out. What's not pictured is the small washer that takes the place of the female adapter I stole from it.

The segments were initially glued together immediately after hacking and then back-filled with resin over a bent steel pipe I used as a spine for the thing to keep its shape. Needless to say, the thing is like 70's slang: solid and heavy! And because of that and its shape, it isn't very comfortable to hold for long, I'm afraid. I can't help but laugh at it; I like it but it is a bit too cumbersome.

I may or mayn't mold this to make a duplicate just to complete the set in future. Much of the decisions I made during this ended with "...To Hell with it" and I suspect that will be the response I'll have for myself concerning ideas for this thing in future.

Oh, well. I'll have blasters to work on until I make up my mind.

Last edited:
I think it's supercool. That series streamlined and characterized existing designs, I like that you took that logic in reverse. If we'd seen these sabers in a movie first, I think you nailed how they would have looked.

Also, how the hell is the microseries FOURTEEN YEARS OLD!?

So this is what I've managed to cobble together of the last few days. It's a quite literal interpretation of Asajj Ventress' lightsaber (one of them, anyway) based on the design originally depicted in the 2003 Clone Wars micro-series.

To those unfamiliar or just simply forgot, this is what it originally looked like:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11118/111184078/5004658-4606244213-Ventr.jpg

https://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11118/111184078/5470041-2875355908-50063.gif

And here is my depiction of the thing, made with things on-hand to keep in vein of the original lightsabers, including but not limited to vintage camera flashes. And as far as I'm aware, for the last 14 years, this may be the first attempt at it. Though I wanted to make it feel real-world like the original sabers, my main intention was to keep its simple animated quality and not deviate too far off course its design. Of course, within the realms of the real and pre-fabricated.

I like to think I succeeded.

View attachment 723174

View attachment 723172 View attachment 723173 View attachment 723175 View attachment 723176

Again, this was made with things I just conveniently had on hand. The body segments are hacked up remains of left-over Graflite from my Graf-Staff-Saber build and an old vacuum extension hose; the neck is the interior gizmo from an extra Heiland flash I bought for the endcap (for my ESB Heiland conversion); the ignition button is also from the same Heiland flash. The emitter is just some left over alu tubing I had from my Canon builds cut down and stuck to the rubber thing, that originally was stuck on the end of the Heiland bulb gizmo, and the whole assembly was topped onto some washers and secured into a little plumbing bit I popped into the neck with a screw. Finally, the endcap is from the Vader Heiland conversion I couldn't bring myself to throw out. What's not pictured is the small washer that takes the place of the female adapter I stole from it.

The segments were initially glued together immediately after hacking and then back-filled with resin over a bent steel pipe I used as a spine for the thing to keep its shape. Needless to say, the thing is like 70's slang: solid and heavy! And because of that and its shape, it isn't very comfortable to hold for long, I'm afraid. I can't help but laugh at it; I like it but it is a bit too cumbersome.

I may or mayn't mold this to make a duplicate just to complete the set in future. Much of the decisions I made during this ended with "...To Hell with it" and I suspect that will be the response I'll have for myself concerning ideas for this thing in future.

Oh, well. I'll have blasters to work on until I make up my mind.
Dude, you did WAY more than succeed, you turned this saber from 2D to 3. Great job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

I just couldn't resist to add a post, I've not built a saber as yet but I've just been to a small antique market in the U.K. And I just picked up this old ever-ready torch ( flash light ) from the 60s only £3.00 I had to have it as the shape just looked so !!! Light saber and I couldn't walk past without having it for a custom build
IMG_0268.JPGIMG_0269.JPGIMG_0270.JPGIMG_0272.JPG

Last edited:
I just couldn't resist to add a post, I've not built a saber as yet but I've just been to a small antique market in the U.K. And I just picked up this old ever-ready torch ( flash light ) from the 60s only £3.00 I had to have it as the shape just looked so !!! Light saber and I couldn't walk past without having it for a custom build
View attachment 723453View attachment 723454View attachment 723455View attachment 723456
found some ally window track today and thought this would make a good grip around my saber handle
IMG_0293.JPGIMG_0294.JPGIMG_0295.JPGIMG_0296.JPGIMG_0297.JPG

SethS

I think it would look pretty neat with the spacer/neck of 1 and the orientation of the wine stopper in 3 over it. A thin neck with a leading to that with the stopper as a kind of flange emitter, with maybe a little brass in that to echo the color on the body, would look really good, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same thing essentially, just added the Y shroud and HD emitter.

But yeah, I'mm digging it. Just need to find brass-looking pop-rivets to attach those flanges.

I was thinking something more like the first left-hand option with the stopper sitting further up but others seem to be in agreement about the right-hand one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back