Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

AtlGurl9225 - Aw, shucks. *blush* Nice to meet you Stephanie! I'm sure we'll run into each other one of these days. :) Oh if you could check on the fabric for me, I would be most grateful! I'm going nuts trying to find just the right fabric for the pants and the wrap dress. Need to check Gail K Fabrics too. I've been looking north of town with the gal who's helping making my costume (which I am woefully behind on. So far I've only got the boots and undershirt fabric).

Don't worry, tonight will be my 5th time seeing it :lol But I don't have any more tickets after tonight (yet).

With the RIT dye, did you use it on silk or viscose? My pants are silk, and I already dyed them, but they aren't quite right. And the wrap dress really needs dye as coffee just didn't work. That one is a silk/rayon viscose. Just wondering what your experience with the dye was if you used those materials!

I used plain old RIT dye on the poly/viscose for the dress and head wraps. It's intended for organic only, but I really only wanted to tint it, because the natural color of the fabric is a sandy, very light off white/tan. The first time it came out just a touch darker but I only used a half pouch and left it in for the full time. I wanted it a little more grey, so I used about 3/4 pouch the second time and it ended up in it's current state. I've used dharma dyes before but I'm not patient and I hate waiting for things to come in, so I just went with it. I used a couple test pieces of the end before I stuck the whole thing in. Honestly, it was more trial and error than anything else, but it does look different under different lighting. The fabric is pretty sheer so I think that helps give it a hue instead of an actual color. the darker bits are from airbrushing. I literally just went to town with my airbrush on a size 3 wide spray nozzle with a diluted grey.

For the pants, I literally just got that lucky and found a bolt of silk at Fine Fabrics (a local fabric store). I didn't have to dye those, but I did submerge it in the same color for continuity. It was already so close to what I was going for, I don't know if the dye even too kto the silk, to be honest. It was probably unnecessary, but I'm crazy with little details like that.

- - - Updated - - -

AtlGurl9225 - Aw, shucks. *blush* Nice to meet you Stephanie! I'm sure we'll run into each other one of these days. :) Oh if you could check on the fabric for me, I would be most grateful! I'm going nuts trying to find just the right fabric for the pants and the wrap dress. Need to check Gail K Fabrics too. I've been looking north of town with the gal who's helping making my costume (which I am woefully behind on. So far I've only got the boots and undershirt fabric).

I'll absolutely check for you tomorrow while I'm there. :D

Poking my head in to say 1. I'm so grateful that this thread and all the lovely people in it exist, and 2. I'm still kicking myself for not visiting Fine Fabrics when I lived in Atlanta for four years.

Great model! - I was just about to start modeling this to print for my wife's costume - any chance of getting the STL's or other files to print it myself?

Cheers,
James.

Thanks! I answered your PM already but I'll say it again here in case anyone else is wondering:

I'm not sure what I'm doing with the model but I won't be giving my hard work away. I may decide at some point in the future to start selling prints or something but I haven't decided yet. However, if anyone wants to chat about my process or things I discovered about the design of the staff while I was examining reference pictures, I'd be happy to help!

I just want to thank you all and show the outfit I wore at the premiere.

Sheila Rey.jpgSheila Rey 2.jpg

I made everything and I'm glad with the result, although it is not screen accurate (no right boots, metal parts, staff's string... No Po-zu boots, no 3D printing, just plumbing supplies, not even the ALICE clip in my country. :))
I still want to make all the stuff dirtier and change the color of the pouch, make it darker.

Thanks! I answered your PM already but I'll say it again here in case anyone else is wondering:

I'm not sure what I'm doing with the model but I won't be giving my hard work away. I may decide at some point in the future to start selling prints or something but I haven't decided yet. However, if anyone wants to chat about my process or things I discovered about the design of the staff while I was examining reference pictures, I'd be happy to help!

I'm new here - and I don't know the conventions, so apologies if it was rude to ask. Its certainly fine to keep the models to yourself - especially if you are doing it professionally or as a business which wouldn't surprise me with the excellent quality of your work. (Although I expect the copyright issues could be complex.)

I have just come from working with the BB-8 builders club which was a very collaborative effort, we shared models, designs, tips and techniques - and without such an environment I doubt so many of us could have had our BB-8's working in time for the premiere.

MeAndBB.jpg

I am now working on my wife's matching Rey costume, and will model and print the staff myself (and while nowhere near as good as Talaaya's) will gladly share my models here in reciprocation for the great information I have already discovered in this thread.

Cheers,
James.

I'm new here - and I don't know the conventions, so apologies if it was rude to ask. Its certainly fine to keep the models to yourself - especially if you are doing it professionally or as a business which wouldn't surprise me with the excellent quality of your work. (Although I expect the copyright issues could be complex.)

I have just come from working with the BB-8 builders club which was a very collaborative effort, we shared models, designs, tips and techniques - and without such an environment I doubt so many of us could have had our BB-8's working in time for the premiere.

View attachment 568551

I am now working on my wife's matching Rey costume, and will model and print the staff myself (and while nowhere near as good as Talaaya's) will gladly share my models here in reciprocation for the great information I have already discovered in this thread.

Cheers,
James.

Oh, my..... I NEED that BB8. I'm drooling with envy.

Hollyann is that close to the accurate size?

It's pretty darn close.
1.25" diameter which is a little slimmer than Anakin's saber at 1.38". Luke's is 1.5" so it is scaled down a bit from that.

Here's a photo I took. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450758188.411063.jpg

Also found this in the graflex from the trailer thread I've been going through that might be helpful here.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450758255.275578.jpg (credit to the original poster, sorry I forgot to check)
Thinking I might paint the button black glossy if I can't remove it or do some resin doming or a combination to mimic the glass eye. I'd like to improve the finish if I get bored to make it look a little less cheesy, but since the focal props are the staff and blaster I'll probably be good without majorly touching it up.

***EDIT*** it was surprisingly easy to remove the button! Not super sure how the graflex glass eye ought to look but I think if I paint this interior black and resin dome over it it'll look close enough
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450758775.592509.jpg

View attachment 568551
What?! There is a BB-8 builders club? Where? I'd love to build a BB-8 of my own. Was thinking about it already. Yours looks fantastic! Do you have a video?

What?! There is a BB-8 builders club? Where? I'd love to build a BB-8 of my own. Was thinking about it already. Yours looks fantastic! Do you have a video?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread - sorry.
- BB8 builders club: http://bb8builders.club/
- Pre-flight check video of my BB-8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVqbS0T3vGA

I have started modelling the staff - but this is going to take a while! - I will post it on thingiverse when done.

Cheers,
J.
RayStaffProgress2.png

Last edited:
It's pretty darn close.
1.25" diameter which is a little slimmer than Anakin's saber at 1.38". Luke's is 1.5" so it is scaled down a bit from that.

Here's a photo I took. View attachment 568569

Also found this in the graflex from the trailer thread I've been going through that might be helpful here.
View attachment 568570 (credit to the original poster, sorry I forgot to check)
Thinking I might paint the button black glossy if I can't remove it or do some resin doming or a combination to mimic the glass eye. I'd like to improve the finish if I get bored to make it look a little less cheesy, but since the focal props are the staff and blaster I'll probably be good without majorly touching it up.

***EDIT*** it was surprisingly easy to remove the button! Not super sure how the graflex glass eye ought to look but I think if I paint this interior black and resin dome over it it'll look close enough
View attachment 568573

Thx for posting the info about that. I was actually thinking about getting one but wasnt sure about the size. So the button just popped off? I read a rewiew that said it might also be possible to add more sound from another toy, since there is extra room inside it. I think i'll be picking one up.

I have started modelling the staff - but this is going to take a while! - I will post it on thingiverse when done.

YES! Thank you! I was hoping someone would eventually offer the file for the staff. We have our own printer, so we'd like to print it ourselves - though, depending on the cost of JJ's resin staff, might end up going that route.

Also, for those looking for a slightly cheaper solution to her canvas hip/belt bag, my friend sent me a link to this site that offers replicas of P37 bags:
http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/c144-Repro-Webbing-Leather-Equipment/

Not sure which one would work best (still digging around), but thought I'd pass this on! I'm trying to focus on the bag right now, since I won't be making the costume itself for a while (wanna lose some weight and let my hair get long enough to pull back!).

I AM SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS THREAD. I am planning to cosplay Rey at Wondercon 2016 and then SDCC2016... I just need to get a new job that pays more first :p
Living in LA is EXPENSIVE. In any case, thanks so much to everyone who has contributed so far, this info is invaluable! I will be contributing as well once I start my cosplay :D

So, which lightsaber "model" are we looking for? Anakin "ROTS" or Luke "ANH"...? I lost track of the lightsaber lineage....

View attachment 568551

Cheers,
James.

That BB-8 looks so awesome!!! I want.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a strong believer in sharing. What I'm not comfortable with is spending 30 hours of my spare time on a model and then just giving it for free to any random person on the internet to do what they please with it. If I was working with a group of people I knew, like a club, then I'd be more than happy to give them the model. I would consider charging strangers for prints I made because each one of those would require even more of my time and I firmly believe in artists being paid for their time. Also, I'm always more than happy to discuss my process and help people in any way I can so they can make their own version.

That's great thanks for the measurements hollyann. I will have to make a trip to grab one payday. Be sure to document your techniques for making it look good for those of us who suck at such things.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back