Thorssoli's First Order Builds - Captain Phasma FINISHED on Page 21!

Re: Thorssoli's Episode VII Builds

Hey Thorsolli, I've been watching your builds for a couple of years and I love your technique and tips. It's awesome that you're able to make a living doing what you love. I wanted to give you a heads up, and you may already know, but Twitch, the streaming service for video games has done a launch for creative streaming. They've had a Bob Ross stream 24/7 for the last week and many others, including an Adobe sponsored stream, covering computer and traditional art to music and crafting. I mention it because there are several who focus only on cosplay, including EvilFX from the RPF. People can make a pretty good living off of streaming, and hey if your gonna be in your shop anyways and don't mind a couple hundred people actively watching while you do your non professional work, then win win right? Anyways wanted to let you know. Keep up the great work!

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Creative

Loving your stuff Thorsolli - I can't believe how quickly you turn stuff around, looking forward to see the EPVII TK take shape. Looks cracking so far.

On another you ever done a Sabine (SW Rebels) Helmet? I have a 6 year old daughter and would love to build her a sabine costume.

Just out of curiosity, how much does one of these miracle machines run for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Wow...they are certainly an investment. It was probably a quicker time to CNC those than it would be to 3d print all of that though haha

Wow...they are certainly an investment. It was probably a quicker time to CNC those than it would be to 3d print all of that though haha

Yeah, thats for sure! As well as you being able to CNC a solid piece of wood, vs a thin/hollow piece of plastic. The wood once coated will stand up as a master for ABS thermoforming much better vs printed plastic.

But the hero of the post is of course this little guy/girl. Look at those eyes...

Yeah, he's adorable. It gets worse though. After this morning's visit to the vet, he has to wear a t-shirt for a while:

PHASMA UPDATE:
My friend Ian managed to wear out a couple of drive gears on his Carvewright over the weekend. Since it turns out I had a spare set on the shelf, it was faster for him and his wife to come up and get them than it would've been for the manufacturer to ship him a replacement set. So they packed up all of the parts they've been making and came up to the shop. Here's Ian with one of the bicep pieces after he'd given it a coat of black primer:

Here's his wife Anna sanding down the back armor prototype:

Somewhere along the way we had her try on one of the paint-test helmets:

I'm happy to say that the lenses are just dark enough to keep the camera flash from revealing the wearer's eyes:

We also did a quick check to see that the pieces were going to be sized right to fit Anna:

As luck would have it, she's almost the exact same build as my girlfriend, so they should both fit just fine. It'll be a bit snug on me though.

The chest armor got a bit more filling and sanding and then a coat of black primer. It looked a lot better that way:

So here's about how the upper body parts look now:

The shins are looking pretty good too:

Since the knees appear to be interchangeable, we're only going through the trouble of prototyping one of them. I'll just end up pulling two molds off of it when it's polished up.

The forearms are a bit too small and too detailed to make fiberglass a good idea, so we'll probably mold these in silicone and rotocast the copies:

So that's the parts that are already in progress. Today I finished the carve for the waist:

As I type this, Lopez Dos-Point-Oh is churning out the codpiece. Tomorrow I'll get him to work on the strips that run up the back of the waist as well as the buttplate.

Meanwhile, Ian still has to carve out the handplates, thighs and the ankle bits. We'll probably be 3D printing the fingers and the belt boxes are too simple to justify any kind of digital fabrication.

I'm also shopping around for a source for liquid neoprene. If I can't find it, I'll have to settle for slipcasting the rubber pieces in latex. Fortunately I've got quite a bit of latex on hand.

We're on track to start molding all of these pieces next week.

Stay tuned...

thorssoli; referrring to the lenses for your helmet that you formed.

Is this 2mm plexi? Also, I wondered about the vacuum. When you vacuum like this isn't there some trouble with the curve of the lens? If you're sucking the entire bubble out doesn't it sometimes cause too much bubble towards the center? In the case of the trooper helmet, the lens is a single piece even across the bridge of the nose, wouldn't this part bubble as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Is this 2mm plexi? Also, I wondered about the vacuum. When you vacuum like this isn't there some trouble with the curve of the lens? If you're sucking the entire bubble out doesn't it sometimes cause too much bubble towards the center? In the case of the trooper helmet, the lens is a single piece even across the bridge of the nose, wouldn't this part bubble as well?

I'm using 1/8" tinted acrylic for the lenses, so it's a bit over 3mm. It has to get pretty warm to form it like this. The part in the middle bubbles as well, but since it has to be pulled through a much narrower gap, it doesn't really go very far. Since the holes are nice and wide at the outside where the eyes are, there's more span and a gradual curve can stick out farther in the middle. I hope that makes sense.

Exciting stuff once again! Looking forward to another bit of Ep 7 goodness!

Here's a bit:

And another bit:

I wasn't quite able to fit into the waist section, but that's mostly because it's 3/4" thick in places and I didn't want to break it. Once it's nice, thin fiberglass with a bit of flex, it'll be a different story.

Here it is in primer:

The chest is getting a bit more filler:

And the shoulders are nearly ready to mold:

Carving the strip for the back of the waist this morning. Then I just need to crank out the buttplate and print some of the detail widgets.

Ian says his machine is back up and running, but local power outages in the latest storm have slowed down the thigh carving.

Stay tuned...

thorssoli; Your explanation does make sense. I will look at trying this method and see what I can see.

If you do all this in fiberglass it will be pretty heavy overall? What about thermoforming all the parts?

Last edited by a moderator:

If you do all this in fiberglass it will be pretty heavy overall? What about thermoforming all the parts?

If I was thermoforming all the parts, I'd be just like everybody else. :p

But seriously though, the fiberglass won't be much heavier. I'm kinda good at it. Here's a pic of me holding up the legs from my ED-209 build:

These parts will absolutely not be too heavy. Heavier than ABS plastic maybe, but only by a bit.

They will be more labor-intensive, but the payoff will be greater durability.

In other news, I've finally made up my mind and decided to build the TIE Pilot. Has anybody found a good base garment to turn into the flight suit? Or suggestions for the boots?

Last edited:

With each post I'm more and more in awe, Shawn!

When's the book out? I've got to try my hand at this!!!

Inspire ! Inspire ! Inspire ! Thank you Thorssoli for your talent and willing to share your fun/dreams/works... My hats off to you.

More filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and...

I've got the waist blocks being 3D printed and I'll be making the prototypes for the belt boxes soon as well.

Ian has both of the thighs carved out and is in the process of carving the ankle plates.

These are exciting times.

This thread is so epic, Betsy Ross could have sewn the flag with it!
image.jpeg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back