Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
@jlee562

I toke the whole Snoke thing seriously, basically because of

1) the actor who played him, Andy Serkis
2) they way they portrayed him in TFA
3) how he was percieved as a Dark Lord of the Sith, He was portrayed (to me) as another Emperor

I said this before, its a shame that, as of now, the most powerful dark force user is Kylo. But we will see

Ok, great. Don't externalize your experience with the movie. For myself, if we're talking Snoke, JJ is the one who squandered the opportunity to do anything cool. I came out of TFA thinking "well, that was a waste of a character." Snoke is dead weight to the narrative, and Rian cut him loose.

@jlee562
Every thing in a movie doesn't need to move the action forward. It can just add color to the world.

Yeah, I mean, that's what I said about the Canto Bight sequence. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's semantic silliness to argue you were only talking about ESB. A change in ESB would have changed perception of the OT as a whole.

No, it's semantic silliness to argue that writing "...simply isn't relevant to the TLJ story the same way Palpatine's origin has no bearing on ESB and throwing out all the information about his rise to power in that movie" is somehow making a comment on ANH or the OT as a whole.

To your point about changing perceptions about the OT as a whole, the reason why I don't make that jump is because ANH was ultimately designed to be a one-and-done standalone film...one that happened into sequel that George didn't necessarily plan on making. That's a barrier in this hypothetical for me because we're not just contemplating "what if the Emperor's plotline was handled this way," we're also contemplating removing all the barriers that made Lucas think he only had one shot at the space opera thing. And I think once you do that, the hypothetical loses any value, because that's just not what happened. Lucas didn't plan a trilogy with a slow reveal to the Emperor in the third act. He planned one movie that mentioned the Emperor, then got two more with the character. Then 20 years later made three more movies to fill in the backstory.

So if you wanna play with that hypothetical, go ahead. But keep me out of it, because it's got nothing to do with my point.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right. Bad form on my part.

Being sincere here, but I haven't felt the need to respond to that particular comment to me, cause as you said, it had been addressed, & for me to jump in & say that you were wrong as well would've looked like I was ganging up on you.

I have specifically addressed things that you've brought up, but you've come back with inaccurate 'facts', & total Strawman Fallacies, so you didn't seem like someone I could have a 'discussion' with. I actually went to your profile to see some of your other 'discussions', because I thought maybe your feelings about this particular film was the reason we seemed to butt heads, & to me, they seemed to follow the same trend.

Let me say here,I apologise for seeming to seek you out, from here on out, I'll address your comments to me directly, only.

Sorry everyone.

Apology accepted. I`m mature enough to brush off the "inaccurate facts and total strawman fallicies" swipes, Luke Skywalker style as I seem to be getting enough likes and PM`s of support.

As I cant see either of us commenting on each others posts in the future, it would be fair to say balance in the force has been achieved.

@jlee562
Every thing in a movie doesn't need to move the action forward. It can just add color to the world.

No. Every sequence, every scene should move the plot forward. Every single line of dialogue should be created to help advance the plot. In a movie.

You can add fluff and "color to the world" in a tv series by sequences and whole episodes that do not advance the overall plot. But remember, in a movie you usually have only about 90 minutes to tell a story. Do you really see any room to "add color to the world" in such a timespan?

No. Every sequence, every scene should move the plot forward. Every single line of dialogue should be created to help advance the plot. In a movie.

You can add fluff and "color to the world" in a tv series by sequences and whole episodes that do not advance the overall plot. But remember, in a movie you usually have only about 90 minutes to tell a story. Do you really see any room to "add color to the world" in such a timespan?
I wouldn’t go this far. Marty playing Johnny B Goode at the dance does absolutely zilch to an otherwise very much plot driven movie’s plot. On the other hand it gives some place to breathe, slow down for a few minutes, adds to his character, plays up his fish-out-of water persona, etc.
That being said an entire subplot should indeed move the plot forward.

Fans who haven’t liked a Star Wars product since 1983 have very limited value.

Thats a bit harsh Bryan, we have mothers too you know.:lol

I know that you know Im just kidding but some others need to be spoon fed comments.

I actually dont have that many issues with the PT, have never posted a bad word about them.

Thats a bit harsh Bryan, we have mothers too you know.:lol

I know that you know Im just kidding but some others need to be spoon fed comments.

I actually dont have that many issues with the PT, have never posted a bad word about them.

THEY ARE LEGION. :) Point being Star Wars fandom is split into a few factions. Fans who only like 4 and 5. Fans who only like the OT. Fans that like the OT and PT but hate Clone Wars cartoon (which is GL level stuff), fans that love it all but hate the sequel trilogy but not Rogue One, fans who love OT, PT, CW, R1, and ST. If your Lucasfilm trying to ploy out our future where is your target audience? Obviously as many of these groups as possible but pleasing all of them is a fools errand. You need to pick your spots.

THEY ARE LEGION. :) Point being Star Wars fandom is split into a few factions. Fans who only like 4 and 5. Fans who only like the OT. Fans that like the OT and PT but hate Clone Wars cartoon (which is GL level stuff), fans that love it all but hate the sequel trilogy but not Rogue One, fans who love OT, PT, CW, R1, and ST. If your Lucasfilm trying to ploy out our future where is your target audience? Obviously as many of these groups as possible but pleasing all of them is a fools errand. You need to pick your spots.

I knew where you coming from but that spot was to lighten the mood a little.

Damn you Webber....lol

And where is the melted steel from Vadar?

I know I know, Im only the messenger.:lol

The thing that concerns me is that Johnson was aware of it and failed to address it, As the guy in the video explains, it would have brought sooo much more to the movie. Just a simple hand drop.

I wouldn’t go this far. Marty playing Johnny B Goode at the dance does absolutely zilch to an otherwise very much plot driven movie’s plot. On the other hand it gives some place to breathe, slow down for a few minutes, adds to his character, plays up his fish-out-of water persona, etc.
That being said an entire subplot should indeed move the plot forward.

Good example. It did add something, though, even only very subtly. George and Lorraine are dancing as a result of George´s actions and are accepted into the community, foreshadowing the change in their lives that we get to see at the end of the movie. If integrates seamlessly into the rest of the plot, although it of course may have been just an opportunity for Michael J- Fox to show off his talents as a musician. But it seems like they chose that song to define Marty and describe him, adding to the plot. https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/movies/7728706/chuck-berry-johnny-b-goode-back-to-the-future

You are absolutely right about sub plots. And I guess it is clear that in TLJ the subplots do not really add to the central story, accodring to the director Rey´s story, do they?

I know I know, Im only the messenger.:lol

The thing that concerns me is that Johnson was aware of it and failed to address it, As the guy in the video explains, it would have brought sooo much more to the movie. Just a simple hand drop.

Its just like Leia walking past Cheiwe in TFA, sometimes the creative folks just plain miss something.

Its just like Leia walking past Cheiwe in TFA, sometimes the creative folks just plain miss something.

True, but Leia walking past Chewie to go to Rey, whom she barely knew, that just totally redefines the word "missed" and the hand thing almost does as well.

ADDITION : I think a Director/Writer with any ability to work at a high level and was deeply familiar with the subject matter would have recognised the art in just having a simple hand drop.

Last edited:

They are multimillionaire, professionals...just like a professional football player dropping a touchdown pass to win the Superbowl. They still get blamed... as they should

A professional is not an amateur , they dont have the same excuses. as "just plain miss something"..

They are multimillionaire, professionals...just like a professional football player dropping a touchdown pass to win the Superbowl. They still get blamed... as they should

A professional is not an amateur , they dont have the same excuses. as "just plain miss something"..

For sure, although sometimes there are visual considerations that may come into play in this case. Would it have looked weird or been seen as funny to the audience if the hand had fallen to the ground, maybe with a sound. It could spoil the moment for a bit of inside continuity, especially if the general audience wouldn't have made the connection.

You are absolutely right about sub plots. And I guess it is clear that in TLJ the subplots do not really add to the central story, accodring to the director Rey´s story, do they?

They don't really tie into Rey, no. Other than Finn's central motivation shifting from Rey to becoming a true Resistance fighter.

Spitballing here, but anyone else suppose this style of storytelling was influenced by GoT? Obviously GoT didn't invent cross-cutting, but that show has its own kind of pace between each of the threads.

They don't really tie into Rey, no. Other than Finn's central motivation shifting from Rey to becoming a true Resistance fighter.

Spitballing here, but anyone else suppose this style of storytelling was influenced by GoT? Obviously GoT didn't invent cross-cutting, but that show has its own kind of pace between each of the threads.

Exactly what I aimed at in a previous post.

The storytelling may work in an episode of a series with a huge story arc. But it IMO does NOT work for a movie that IMO NEEDS to stand on its own feet, should be watchable on its own. Granted, except for ANH no SW-movie should be watched out of context. But if you choose to, you CAN do that and they work as movies in their own narratives (AOTC is not that good, though, it IMO suffers from the Detective story vs. the rest).
The subplots that IMO feel hornshoed into the main plot are the best examples.

I do not think that it was GoT, but a lot of other series and movies with an episodic narrative style.
Still, IMO that does NOT work for a SW movie.

If you want to tell stories that way, then DO NOT degrade a main SW episode to an episode in a MINI-Series, but just go straight to TV and create a series!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back