Twin Peaks: The Return Carrie Page Mantelpiece Horse

SquidMan

Sr Member
Hi everyone!

Would anyone be able to identify the white (ceramic?) horse figure that is displayed on Carrie Page's mantel in the last episode of the new Twin Peaks?

KL2PC9p
0qCn4cO.png

After going down a Google Images rabbit hole, it seems that this is most likely a porcelain standing foal figurine, or at least, those are the search terms that brought me to figurines that look most similar to this one. Anyone know what the exact brand might be? It is most likely around 5.5" tall, based on the dinner plate behind it.

I have recreated the mantelpiece after seeing the finale a year and a day ago. It took me months to search for the exact figurine, the exact rubber ball, the exact thimble, and the most challenging piece was the exact plate. Here is my recreation. I was lucky enough to meet Kyle MacLachlan and have the plate signed by him in white paint marker!40749452_10156451092056438_5582749845988311040_o.jpg

I have recreated the mantelpiece after seeing the finale a year and a day ago. It took me months to search for the exact figurine, the exact rubber ball, the exact thimble, and the most challenging piece was the exact plate. Here is my recreation. I was lucky enough to meet Kyle MacLachlan and have the plate signed by him in white paint marker!View attachment 840928

The plate looks like an IKEA dinera grey dinner plate, under indoor lighting. I used to have a set, and they appear quite blue under certain lights.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/tableware/dinnerware/dinera-plate-grey-blue-art-20152549/

Under a slightly different light:

https://picclick.co.uk/Auction-5-Ikea-12011-Dinera-8-salad-263127568950.html

Initially, I thought the plate used was IKEA, but I was wrong.

It took me months to figure out the EXACT plate used and a lot of detective work. It's the very rare Royal Blue-colored Texas-Ware melamine 9 7/8" dinner plate from the 1950s. Texas-Ware is no longer in business. I was lucky enough to find one on eBay. The color of the plate matches exactly as that of the show if I don't use flash and use a bit of indoor lighting. The seller I got from many months ago has one for sale here

The thimble is VERY easy to procure at any 99-cent store in the US. It's the Dritz Slip-Stomp zinc thimble (XL size, or 18mm)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recreated the mantelpiece after seeing the finale a year and a day ago. It took me months to search for the exact figurine, the exact rubber ball, the exact thimble, and the most challenging piece was the exact plate. Here is my recreation. I was lucky enough to meet Kyle MacLachlan and have the plate signed by him in white paint marker!View attachment 840928

Wow! Could you tell us any info about the horse figurine? Brand/size/decade?

5.75" high, 4.5" long, and 1.5" wide.

It was manufactured by Erphilia (Ebeling & Reuss of Philadelphia), a giftware firm that was founded in 1866 and went out of business sometime after 2002. The company name is combination of the letters E and R (Ebeling & Reuss) and the first letters of the city, Phila[delphia].
The logo consists of the "ER" initials, "EST 1866," "ERPHILA," and "MADE IN GERMANY." This treasure cost me $15 plus shipping from eBay. It took me months to diligently search for the exact same figurine online using the keywords "white porcelain horse figurine."

There were at least three other listings of the Erphila horse on eBay the past 6 months since I shared my discovery on TP fb groups. All were quickly snagged by TP fans/collectors who want to duplicate my recreation.

5.75" high, 4.5" long, and 1.5" wide.

It was manufactured by Erphilia (Ebeling & Reuss of Philadelphia), a giftware firm that was founded in 1866 and went out of business sometime after 2002. The company name is combination of the letters E and R (Ebeling & Reuss) and the first letters of the city, Phila[delphia].
The logo consists of the "ER" initials, "EST 1866," "ERPHILA," and "MADE IN GERMANY." This treasure cost me $15 plus shipping from eBay. It took me months to diligently search for the exact same figurine online using the keywords "white porcelain horse figurine."

There were at least three other listings of the Erphila horse on eBay the past 6 months since I shared my discovery on TP fb groups. All were quickly snagged by TP fans/collectors who want to duplicate my recreation.

Aha! I knew I was on the right track. From my research I was thinking that it was manufactured by either Erphila or Hertwig, as there are some Hertwig porcelain horse figurines on eBay at the moment that are identical to the screenused one in pose and sculpt, except not white. Good to have it confirmed. Thank you!

Good luck! Your the SEVENTH fan I know who desires the Erphila figurine. I know two who have completed the mantelpieces as I helped them find the plate, ball, and thimble right after they procured the figurine. I was asked to write an article for WelcomeToTwinPeaks.com about my quest in duplicating Carrie Page's mantel. It should be ready as soon as I finish writing.

Wow! I can't believe you tracked them down. I might need to set this up on my actual mantelpiece. My OH might veto the stone cladding though :D

Sabrina Sutherland herself commented on my diorama that I posted on my FB months ago with, "Nice job!" Kyle MacLachlan was impressed when I showed him a picture of the completed mantel, after which I asked him to sign the very rare melamine dinner plate!
shadow_box.jpg

Sabrina Sutherland herself commented on my diorama that I posted on my FB months ago with, "Nice job!" Kyle MacLachlan was impressed when I showed him a picture of the completed mantel, after which I asked him to sign the very rare melamine dinner plate!
View attachment 841105
Excellent job, especially with the brick wall replication! Is that a printed cleaned-up screenshot glued to wood backing?

Excellent job, especially with the brick wall replication! Is that a printed cleaned-up screenshot glued to wood backing?

Yes! It's a high-resolution screenshot and I scaled it up to size based on the diameter of the actual plate (1950s 9-7/8" royal blue melamine Texas-Ware dinner plate). I purposely sharpened the image to make it as natural-looking as possible without the horrible pixellation. Also, I purposely converted the image to greyscale mode—it made the backdrop more realistic. It's actually printed out on two separate tabloid-sized (11" x 17") copy paper (ordinary cheap office paper works best to give it that naturalistic off-white texture rather using a fancy coated paper) that's taped together. I then double-sided-taped that brick-patterned "wall" onto styrofoam that snugly secures into the shadowbox. I used museum putty to secure the plate in place. The "shadow" of the original image of the plate behind the real plate adds a wonderful illusion of depth!

Note: there was really no need to clean out the image of the plate/horse figurine when it's only gonna get covered by the actual pieces. The "shadow" acts as a "happy accident." It's a shadow, but it isn't really a shadow.

The custom-made "shelf" was painted by myself by purchasing a sampler jar of "powder blue" paint from Home Depot. (I initially temporarily wrapped that wood "shelf" with turquoise-colored paper before I was able to determine the exact color paint I needed to paint it).

Last edited:
The thickness of the mantel shelf is actually 1" thick. Initially, I thought it was 1.5" based on the printout I made, but it's really only an inch thick

The depth of the shelf is 4.5"—it's wide enough for the standing plate (about half an inch from the brick wall). The rest is room for the horse's base so that its back touches the very edge and is angle so it's position exactly as the screenshot. The angle is roughly 40 degrees.
View attachment 841109

View attachment 841171

Side-by-side comparison of the plate I was able to find with that of the scene on pause. Perfect match in terms of color and shape. A soft indoor lighting was needed to match the hu—so no flash was needed. It took some brilliant detective work to figure out what David Lynch would've chosen to use as the plate for the mantel. I had to THINK like David Lynch and be in Carrie Page's shoes to determine what kind of decoration or knick-knack I would place on my mantel of my humble home if I was her with her budget!

carrie_page_mantle.jpg

You can get your own plate from the same seller I got it from many, many months ago here.

Last edited:
Found a smaller-sized (3.5" tall) white horse figurine (manufacturer's hallmark rubbed was off at the bottom, unfortunately, except for "Germany" in green letters) on eBay for $9.99 but it's quite similar to the Erphila piece. I was able to track down a vintage 1950s cobalt blue melamine saucer (6" in diameter manufactured by Texas-Ware on eBay in near-mint condition) to match the cobalt blue Texas-Ware dinner plate that Kyle personally signed for me months ago . The nickel-plated zinc thimble is a size #3 (14mm), vintage and made in Germany, is proportionally small to the prop one (sized #12, 18mm). The rubber ball is vintage—it's the closest color and pattern I can find and it's about an inch in diameter. The makeshift "shelf mantel" is actually an empty Calvin Klein gift box I found at home that I wrapped in baby blue-colored textured rice paper. The CK gift box came with a clear sturdy plastic sleeve, which came in handy in order for me to tape the mantel pieces in place—it also makes the base nice and shiny (a happy accident of sorts!)
42399194_333098870796897_9091189174165307392_n.jpg
42361370_477762962724162_5076127065804111872_n.jpg

42399194_333098870796897_9091189174165307392_n.jpg

42361370_477762962724162_5076127065804111872_n.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back