Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Let's be honest here, Star Wars has been dead to some degree or another since fans heard "Meesa called Jar Jar Binks" emanate from the speakers of their local theater.

I could not agree with you more!!! :D

Contrary to popular belief I wasnt trying to argue against your point or anything, i think it's kind of like if a movie gets made where you live you might have some i terest in seeing it.

I dont have any factual basis of it being the case, just speculating.

You're right, in some cases. The only reason I watched "30 minutes or less" was because it was filmed in Grand Rapids, Michigan and I wanted to see how much of the environment I would recognize. "Rain Man" is another, albeit great for many reasons, but the scenes filmed in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. Both are places near where I live/d. It does add something to a movie when you recognize landmarks with which you are familiar. However, the USA, and China, are both big land masses, so I can't account for "The Meg" being successful in China due to its filming location, which from what I gather, was mostly beaches and ocean.

Let's be honest here, Star Wars has been dead to some degree or another since fans heard "Meesa called Jar Jar Binks" emanate from the speakers of their local theater.

And others thought it died with the Ewoks, "yub yub". Star Wars has such a massive fan base that it's impossible to classify it. I'm an OT fan, but there are parts of the PT and ST that I like. I don't care about anyone's opinion but my own.

I feel for Kelly Marie Tran, the treatment she received not only was deplorable, but certainly the exact opposite of what she was expecting. Granted, Rose Tico was a terribly pointless (IN MY OPINION, don't want my hand slapped) character, but again, that's the fault of the writer and director. It's certainly not the actresses fault, who can only work within the confines of what's been given.
Same goes with DJ, what a useless pile. But, Benicio Del Toro has a long and well established résumé in Hollywood, Tran does not. Not that it's right, but I believe people are more inclined to forgive a bad performance by a good actor than they are an unknown one. Which again, sucks, but that's what American culture has created.

If someone thinks that Star Wars is dead then its kind of weird that they post about it all the time but to each their own. I only dislike one Star Wars movie and have seen them all on opening day, possibly two but I wont see Solo for a while so cant speak to that but believe it only needs an enema to fix the current issues.

I guess it sure is a good thing Twitter wasn't around right after Episode 1. Poor Jake Loyd received so much crap it pretty much screwed up his whole life. If he had the Twitter barrage of today there is no telling how it would've affected a little 8 year old kid.

T
So can we just call these people 'sub-human scum' and stop referring to them as Star Wars fans.
I am a Star Wars fan and I do not want to be associated with 'sub-human scum'.

100% agreed :thumbsup

They are indeed scum, and are unworthy of being called Star Wars fans.

- - - Updated - - -

So that's a yes?

It's only a hard question to answer if you truly feel that way.

To feel that anyone has to prove something to you is an superiority mentality to begin with. If someone is feeling harassed no matter the justification that is their feeling to have and who are you to question it. Just because in your opinion the harassment isn't valid and may be an overreaction it doesn't matter one bit because it's not your opinion that matters at all.

standing-ovation.gif

- - - Updated - - -

100% off topic

Kristen: Harriet Wheeler !! The Sunday’s !!! Always happy to see one of my favorites in avatar form :)

Okay, back to arguing.

Lol.. right?!

The Sundays are a large portion of the reason why I began playing guitar so long ago, and even though I haven't got Harriet's stellar voice, nevertheless she powerfully inspires me.

Also, @Axolotl goaded me into changing from my real life avatar to this. :p

- - - Updated - - -

What makes this story really sad is. The interview that was for the Star Wars show. She was giddy with the excitement of being in a Star Wars movie. And after the film, soulless monsters and cowards emboldened by the anonymity that their computer or phone screens provide, tore into her like a pack of rabid dogs. Let us strive to never say anything that we would not say face to face.

Hear! Hear!

- - - Updated - - -

That is what I strive for. It is what plenty of people I know strive for. However, the generations coming up now? Sadly I can't say the same for. The problem is a lot bigger than Star Wars. I know teens who have no interest in making friends or meeting people face to face. I know two 17 year olds who have no interest in getting their driver licenses. Sure, folks will jump immediately to "Well, that's a parenting failure". That may be partly to blame, but not entirely. Call me chronocentric, but I see generations coming up with a problematic lack of empathy. They don't worry about saying things to people face to face. They don't have to, when everything they feel needs to be said, can be said via social media.

Sorry to go off topic, but I think this is a huge problem.

Sadly, i reckon you're absolutely correct.

Lets not forget that the internet allows all sorts of self righteous and false behaviour to be displayed as well. Its so easy for somebody to display outrage at others for their behaviour when we will never know what kind of person THEY actually are.

While I will agree this is true, I don't think it justifies defaulting to an incredulous attitude toward any claim made just because there might exist the possibility that the person making the claim might have said or done something offensive to someone else at some point in their lives. Of course we all have...but to try to detract from the current issue someone is raising by attempting to feret out some misdeed the complainant may have performed in the past isn't the right approach, either.

This isn't meant to be directed at you, Mr. Webber... just making a statement.

This should surprise no one, but people said the exact same thing about your generation when you were young, too. And an even older generation said the same thing about that old generation when they were young. And so on...

edit: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Good_old_days

I agree... to a point.

It is certainly true that my parents and grandparents both often remarked on "these kids these days..."

But while that is true, I--like many of you--were born and grew up in an era devoid of the internet. The only thing you could do in anonymity when we were young was prank call, or write a nasty note. Neither one was face to face, but the effect of it was still limited to just yourself and the victim for the most part. Now that a nasty idea can grow legs and spread round the world in seconds...with every person who sees it able to add their own momentum to it (and potentially legitimize an otherwise false claim) the potential for damage is far greater. And the disconnect that the internet offers means that empathy can be virtually removed from the situation and those who are given to such can engage in it guilt-free.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I find it absolutely hilarious that some of these paper thin celebrities just can't handle the internet :lol

I am far from paper thin, but if the internet went after me like it did Kelly, I couldn't handle it either.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa whoa whoa. There are Sundays fans here?!

Indeed!!!

I'm still waiting to see if anything comes of the rumour that David and Harriet were back making music again in 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

And others thought it died with the Ewoks, "yub yub". Star Wars has such a massive fan base that it's impossible to classify it. I'm an OT fan, but there are parts of the PT and ST that I like. I don't care about anyone's opinion but my own.

I feel for Kelly Marie Tran, the treatment she received not only was deplorable, but certainly the exact opposite of what she was expecting. Granted, Rose Tico was a terribly pointless (IN MY OPINION, don't want my hand slapped) character, but again, that's the fault of the writer and director. It's certainly not the actresses fault, who can only work within the confines of what's been given.
Same goes with DJ, what a useless pile. But, Benicio Del Toro has a long and well established résumé in Hollywood, Tran does not. Not that it's right, but I believe people are more inclined to forgive a bad performance by a good actor than they are an unknown one. Which again, sucks, but that's what American culture has created.

Quite true!

[Hand Slap gladly withheld]

I'm just spitballing but what are the chances of George coming back to helm the company and do a Steve Jobs?

Did you forget about the prequels?? Lucas was taking Star Wars to a dark place.

Like I said, I was just speculating. I too dislike the Prequels, but I was just wondering if Disney might be considering the possibility, (erroneously) thinking that the move might be seen as favourable by those fans who hated TLJ.

Like I said, I was just speculating. I too dislike the Prequels, but I was just wondering if Disney might be considering the possibility, (erroneously) thinking that the move might be seen as favourable by those fans who hated TLJ.

Quite honestly, I don't think they care at the moment.

If Ep. IX tanks, maybe they'll care, but even then, I don't think they'll be looking at the old school fans who hate TLJ specifically. And they definitely don't give one scintilla of a **** about the trolls whining about "forced diversification" in "their" movies. The future may or may not be female, but it's definitely moving on from those jackasses.

But they will care about the overwhelming majority of people unhappy with TLJ just because they think it is a terrible movie and more specifically a terrible Star Wars movie and if they have to wait for Plan Nine to tank to start caring about those people then they should all be fired.

Disney and Lucasfilm are two different organizations.

Disney mostly pays attention to the money.
It's LFL's jobs to know when a movie looked successful on paper but sowed the seeds of failure for the next one.

Kennedy may be getting removed because she let two movies' productions go off the rails. The second one tanked at the box office even after they basically filmed it a second time. That's how Disney will read things.

Disney and Lucasfilm are two different organizations.

Disney mostly pays attention to the money.
It's LFL's jobs to know when a movie looked successful on paper but sowed the seeds of failure for the next one.

Kennedy may be getting removed because she let two movies' productions go off the rails. The second one tanked at the box office even after they basically filmed it a second time. That's how Disney will read things.

That`s true but at the end of the day Disney owns LFL and signs all the cheques and is the place where all fingers are pointed when things start going south. Sometimes "stuff" can roll uphill as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back