Show your custom Lightsabers!

Whoa! That is great! I have one very similar in the works cause I picked up another minicam, because of how cool it is. I also ordered up another set of those grips of yours for it.

I used my led bubble strip on a saber a couple pages back.

Anyway-- awesome saber!

The lightsaber for my generic Jedi costume started a very long time ago. Somewhere around 1994 I saw this hilt that Trevor Lemon had submitted as an entry in the Sluis Van Lightsaber competition. Here is his Darth Skyba hilt which was the original inspiration for my own lightsaber:
tl14-skyba.jpg

In 2003 I finalized my hilt design, borrowing and outright stealing some elements from Trevor's hilt, as well as nods to both the Graflex and young Obi-Wan sabers. I commissioned a machinist to build this non-working hilt:
Vonnor_Saber_Motion.gif

In 2009 I cannibalized the non-working hilt, salvaging the emitter shroud and activator cowl, and built a new lightsaber from modified MHS (Modular Hilt System) parts from The Custom Saber Shop. I tried to retain the look and feel of the original design, but some compromise had to be made. This has an Ultrasound 2.5 sound card and a bin 4 green Luxeon 5, powered by a 7v 2x18650 pack. The 90° offset between activator and emitter makes it easier to activate and wield.
KV_Saber_Assembled_05.png

KV_Saber_Assembled_07.png

Finally this week I received the last two MHS pieces to make it look more like the original concept. Swapped out the main handle and pommel for a 4" Deep fluted double female and a MPS-11 Pommel. The handle was acquired back when TCSS was still doing anodizing on their parts, then hand brushed down to the aluminum on the high surfaces. Now the handle and emitter shroud are the same diameter and look much more balanced.
vonnor_saber01.jpg

vonnor_saber02.jpg

vonnor_saber03.jpg

vonnor_saber04.jpg

~ vonnor

This is my custom, found parts only, saber build. It took some time piecing everything together but I think it was worth it. I wanted it to look worn and like it came from the OT. It is very similar to the ANH Obi Wan saber in looks and build type. I have build pictures and descriptions of how it came together in an album on my profile.

I used a threaded rod, pieces from a canon Y flash, an industrial gear, a plumbing tube, the battery cap from a vintage flashlight, clamps from a Heiland 2 cell & 3 cell, and a few other bracket pieces that fit the threading.

I'm still trying to find the right piece to go into the shroud for the emitter and a bubble or circuit strip to fit into the clamp. I'll post updated pics after it's completely finished.

How is do I get my pictures to be larger on my posts?!?

Album3.jpgAlbum2.jpgAlbum1.jpg

Last edited:
Man I love it when people who don't know what they have think it's spelled "Cannon" and post in the wrong spot of ebay...

I THINK it's just an extension for the Y. But if I scored a second lower Graflex hidden in a cheap lot within a month of the last one I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket or three.

And I won't lie-- I'm mostly excited for the Y slave unit. I've never seen one of those and got some plans for it!

Last edited:
Thanks, I got it off of eBay a while back. I think I searched vintage industrial gears or something like that.

Hey jerk-- thanks for getting me hooked on something else to plunder ebay for. ;)

There's some great parts-- for gear style grips as well as some balance pipe looking parts...

I THINK it's just an extension for the Y. But if I scored a second lower Graflex hidden in a cheap lot within a month of the last one I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket or three.

And I won't lie-- I'm mostly excited for the Y slave unit. I've never seen one of those and got some plans for it!

what images are we talking of? Y extension?

Anubis has eBay fu and figured out what I was talking about. I got a cheap lot of Canon flash parts because the seller didn't know what it was and spelled Canon incorrectly, thus hiding it from wider searches.

Now i see... Was hoping by extender it was the size of a full back end for a canon.

If if by chance you are creating a saver using only the top half of the canon, I will happily buy the bottom! Haven't found a solution to mine yet...

Haha yeah there are some really cool options with that stuff. I also have this piece that I need to use for a saber. It's tough because it's not hollowed out so I'm gonna have to get creative. It weighs a ton.
IMG_2126.JPG

Now i see... Was hoping by extender it was the size of a full back end for a canon.

If if by chance you are creating a saver using only the top half of the canon, I will happily buy the bottom! Haven't found a solution to mine yet...

This will be my fourth Canon Y, but yes, the extender looks to be the one meant for it. But I'll use it-- the first time I don't have to get creative to extend it!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha yeah there are some really cool options with that stuff. I also have this piece that I need to use for a saber. It's tough because it's not hollowed out so I'm gonna have to get creative. It weighs a ton.
View attachment 674474

ohhh! What is that!?

This will be my fourth Canon Y, but yes, the extender looks to be the one meant for it. But I'll use it-- the first time I don't have to get creative to extend it!

- - - Updated - - -

ohhh! What is that!?

Its one of the gears that came in a small lot I got from Ebay. Not sure exactly what it was used for but I'm gonna tinker with it.

View attachment 674474

Mold it, cast it. I have a gear for something I'm working and it's 9 pounds of hardened "screw-you" tool steel that won't scratch or ding. Best use I found for it was making copies of it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back