Darth Vader Hero Lightsaber From The Empire Strikes Back?

Gonna need more info on parts! I've got the strobonar and a slave coming from teecrooz and if I can get a final saber as cool as that, I'll be stoked

Last edited by a moderator:
The grips came from Todd's Costumes they were custom ordered at 4.25". Not perfect, and the grips on the original saber are oddly shaped, but I opted to use traditional track.

The screws I used for the grips and wiper piece are 4-40 button-head allen screws. I got blackened steel so I wouldn't have to paint them.
Side note: you'll need 28 screws for the 7 grips and black steel screws cost about 40 cents each (kinda pricey).

The screws for the d-ring are 8-32 flat-head allen screws. Blackened steel again.

The "clamp" is a 2" strip of rubber I cut from a scrap I bought from a surplus shop. I got the d-ring there too.

The clamp card was made from a blank section of circuit board plastic. I carefully masked and spray-painted the gold lines.
It actually came out better than expected! I recommend "Line O Tape" brand masking tape. They also make pinstripe tape.
1/16" is the perfect size for the space between the gold lines.
I got mine at the local hobby shop.

Everything else was scratch built from either aluminum or styrene.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh - the original appears to have been brush-painted with generic silver and black paint.
For mine, I used Tamiya Gloss Aluminum and Matt Black spray paint.

I'm really wanting to build one of these, lately!

Great job on yours, Chris, very clean looking. Did you use a real windshield wiper part, or is that custom made?

I've got my Strobonar, but I'll be in need of a Graflex Slave unit. Anyone have one lying around they can spare?

I'm confident I can make most the rest of the parts in styrene and aluminum stock.

And Chris, thanks for all the tips on the screw sizes, that'll make things easier!

redbutton and I both have strobonars now too! He has a slave unit and we realized a 1/4 20 rod can go all the way through. We're planning on sanding down a chunk of dowel to bolt right beneath the slave unit to hold the Heiland in place, as a spacer.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back