Fallout 4 Nuka Cola Quantum

Mach

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been working on the Nuka Cola bottes from Bethesda's Fallout 4 game. This weekend was the first print using the glow/transparent ABS filament.

IMG_9249-M.jpg

The bottle shape was a compromise between the game, artbook, and actual bottles. I've printed an embarrassing number of PLA version while trying to get the dimensions right for my OCD.

ScreenShot10-M.png
IMG_9240-M.jpg
IMG_9259-M.jpg

model-M.jpg

It measures 7 inches tall and fits a standard bottle cap. Its printed on a MakerGear M2 using Afinia Value Series Blue Glow ABS and Hatchbox Transparent ABS with a 0.1mm layer height. I manually swapped in the transparent ABS while printing. I'll modify the Gcode next time. Acetone smoothing on the next one will make it shinier.

Regarding the glow, its muted and whiter than the picture shows. It wasn't the brightest ABS filament that I could find but it was blue. The blue color is slightly darker than the in-game version.

The label was redrawn using RealChris's label as a starting point. I unwrapped the bottle shape in Meshmixer and an warped the label to the flattened shape in Illustrator to get it to wrap properly. I glued it with spray adhesive and then sanded down the wrinkles using sandpaper and a coarse file to tear the edges. I'd like to try a vinyl label next but I'm happy with the weathering for the minimal effort.

label2.png

Dude not too shabby at all, I would bevel the bottom and add a light to shine through that blue ABS and give it a glowing look. Excellent design, should definitely consider a run.

Thanks man, I don't plan on selling them. Zenimax apparently frowns on that type of thing. I've mostly been using the project to teach myself 3d modeling and printing.

It's possible to add a light down the center attached to the bottle cap. A 5mm UV led causes the phosphorescent filament to glow alot. Pics later when I cobble together something.

I like your label compromise. And overall bottle shape. Thanks for not taking the game model literally.

Most glow in the dark material reacts very well to UV light, so LoneWanderer's idea may work very well. You could always post-drill a hole in the base and insert a UV (or blue) light. A CCFL tube all the way up the middle would be better than a single UV LED at the base.

I think your creative liberty on the bottle design turned out really nice. Very cool.

Thanks! I'm glad you like the design compromises ;)

Most glow in the dark material reacts very well to UV light, so LoneWanderer's idea may work very well. You could always post-drill a hole in the base and insert a UV (or blue) light. A CCFL tube all the way up the middle would be better than a single UV LED at the base.

Thanks for the ideas Zap! I tried a 4" UV CCFL but it was too bright and purple. The UV LEDs on the other hand were just about right. If found an LED light stick at Lowes that will fit down the neck of the bottle that can be modded to take a UV LED. A little vhb tape on the underside of friction fit bottle cap - job done. I like the idea of the bottle being self contained too.

Thanks GhostMinion!

I was able to reduce the material used to print the bottles by about 30% by thinning the walls. The thinner walls transmit light better too. At the same time, I dimpled the label area of the Quantum bottle to help label placement. Lastly, I added the Nuka Cola and the Cherry Cola bottle to the printing line-up.

bottles-M.jpg

Would it be possible to vacuum form these? Would be cool to have acrylic versions of these, so you can fill them with whatever you want :p

I would definitely check out Bill Doran's guide on making Nuka Cola's
Thanks I hadn't seen that one. There's also this work log at Stan Winston that Is impressive for his approach of 3d printing the mother mold. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
http://forums.stanwinstonschool.com/discussion/comment/8008/

Would it be possible to vacuum form these? Would be cool to have acrylic versions of these, so you can fill them with whatever you want :p
I'm not an expert but here's what I believe. Vacuum forming could be difficult. Very large novelty bottles are vacuum formed but gluing the seam is always the challenge. The Nuka bottles are relatively small so assuming you'd did get a good pull, you'd then have to cut and glue them perfectly. I don't know of a way to do that consistently in a home workshop. After all that work, you'd still see a seam. Better to cast them. Filling them means you'd want a solid clear cast which has its own challenges.

A hollow one piece cast would have to be roto-cast. If you want it to be bubble free consistently, you'd need to do it under pressure. I've seen some talented folks get some amazing bubble free pulls without a pressure chamber but it's not easy. Search for clear visors for examples.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links.

What Chris is doing and Bill did are both things I want to try. I want to make both the bottle and Nuka Cola gun.

Mach What program did you model the bottles in? I'm very interested in what modeling software people use. I've been tinkering in OnShape, and I have no basis for comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using CorelDraw for the 2d outlines. You can likely do the same in 123D but I'm still learning. I exported to DXF and then import into 123D Design to get the 3D dimensions correct. I export the mesh parts to MeshMixer and then assemble, smooth, and created the recesses in the bottles using the deform tools.

I tried Zbrush, MudBox, Fusion 360, Blender but not OnShape. I've not found anything that I like as much as Sketchup but I'm growing to like Meshmixer. Word to the wise, if you're crashing MeshMixer, reduce the complexity of your meshes.

Thanks! I did not know that you could import outlines into CAD software. Seems like that would be a great way to go for something with rotational symmetry, like a bottle.

So I've been doing more prototyping. I'm really enjoying printing with ABS. The Quantum and Nuka Cherry have been acetone vapor smoothed which really shines the surface of the bottles. These have not been clear finished just smoothed. The Nuka Cola bottle has been sanded but not smoothed yet. I'm still experimenting with the orientation of the bottles to give the best results.

IMG_9288-M.jpg

The labels are inkjet vinyl printed at my local sign shop. The Cherry and Cola worked great with a little help from a hair dryer. The Quantum wrinkled slightly so I'm rethinking the label design. I'm thinking a thinner vinyl with a more aggressive adhesive may be the right answer. I've got the cap design left but those are easy.

On the Quantum glow, I think that I have a good solution using a blue LED flashlight from my local Lowes. Pop the cap and drop it in - instant blue glow goodness!
IMG_9300-M.jpg

My remaining to-do list is shorter - reprint the Cherry bottle, experiment more with vapor smoothing, and find a different vinyl label solution.

Hi Mach. I'm a fallout 4 geek and a prop enthusiast. I want to ask if you can post the 3d blueprint for all the bottles (Cherry, Reg and Quantum) I see that you have posted pictures. So, can you actually post the blueprint on a website like thingiverse or post a link? Also can you post the label on a website or post a link? I see it looks good, but it would be nice if there was a nutrition facts thing on the back. Thank you and good luck.

P.S: Can you also post the cap label designs while you're at it. You're already posting the labels and the 3d printing blueprints, so you might as well post the cap labels too. Thank you so much if you're gonna actually post all this for me. :)

I find it weird when people make their first post asking for all the design files (with changes requested too). So many versions of these files have been posted online and are easy to find. There are quite a few designs on Thingiverse and other websites. Granted Mach has made the best 3D printed versions I have seen so far.
Mach, only share if you want to, there is nothing wrong with owning a unique object. If you do I encourage you to attach a CC licence of some sort. That way if your design suddenly shows up on eBay, you have some recourse. Thingiverse also does help attach licences with their files.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back