Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I personally feel, the most important thing to mention, is that in all the responses to post #331, no one has jumped on the mention of Black Canary in a Marvel show.:eek

I thought about it, but then decided it wasn't ultimately worth the energy. ;)

Oh, whatever Scarlet Johansen's character's name is :lol

Isn't black canary some super hero chick, too?

EDIT. ok, I just looked up black canary. A DC hero lady, who loves a DC dude with arrows. Gee, how can anyone confuse that with a Marvel hero lady (with a similar name, no less), who loves a Marvel dude with arrows :wacko :lol ?

-Fred

EDIT. ok, I just looked up black canary. A DC hero lady, who loves a DC dude with arrows. Gee, how can anyone confuse that with a Marvel hero lady (with a similar name, no less), who loves a Marvel dude with arrows :wacko :lol ?

-Fred

Her name is Black Widow (I guess Green Goblin and Green Lantern could be confused too on those grounds) and she and Hawkeye are friends and partners, not lovers.

I liked it from the start and think it's getting better--if for no other reason than Skye in the wet pink dress.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the dress, or even the pool, didn't start turning orange from all the spray tan she wears...

I love DS9! I like it better than TNG or any of the others.

You, sir, have just earned ALL of my respect.

internet-bro-fist.jpg

You're absolutely correct on this account - my knowledge of SHIELD, starts with Iron Man (movie), and ends with The Avengers (movie). Outside of that, it doesn't really matter to me, what their backstory is.

Most people aren't going to run out and read up on 60 years of backstory in the comics.

I don't think anyone needs to read 60 years of comics to learn about SHIELD. I think it is pretty obvious from the first phase of movies that SHIELD has a vast network, a large amount of resources, and have been around a long time.

In all honesty, I get what the show is trying to do - expand on the background of SHIELD, outside of the Avengers Initiative. But it is a hell of a task to make clerical work seem interesting - especially when you're purposefully trying not to introduce any heroes or villains (or at least major ones).

Why do you persist with this clerical denotation? In just three episodes they have neutralized a person infected with Extremis, confiscated a HYDRA/Tesseract weapon from a terrorist organization, infiltrated a secret base to stop a machine from taking over Earth's gravity, and created a super-villain.

Why do you persist with this clerical denotation? In just three episodes they have neutralized a person infected with Extremis, confiscated a HYDRA/Tesseract weapon from a terrorist organization, infiltrated a secret base to stop a machine from taking over Earth's gravity, and created a super-villain.

Can't please some people.

900x900px-LL-a514bf4b_clapping.gif

Benjamin Sisko. Man of honor. Warrior. Badass. The result of blending the DNA of James T. Kirk and Shaft. Only man to punch out Q.

The only reason he called his ship the Defiant was because Benjamin Sisko's Motha****** Pimp Hand was too big for the hull.

By the way, thank you for posting a screencap of what is, in my opinion, the absolute best episode of Deep Space Nine, despite the comically bad "It's a faaaaaaaake!" line.

its-a-fake.jpg

For those who are unaware of this episode, here's the ending:

This episode epitomized exactly what a war is all about: Doing whatever it takes to win, and worrying about the personal cost later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her name is Black Widow (I guess Green Goblin and Green Lantern could be confused too on those grounds) and she and Hawkeye are friends and partners, not lovers.

No, maybe if Marvel had a guy named Green Lamp and they both shot energy beams from pieces of jewelry, you could make the connection. Black Canary and Black Widow, are non-super powered, hand-to-hand combatants, who both have more than a passing interest in a teammate that shoots arrows. If you can't see the direct correlation between the two, there's nothing I can do to help.

Why? Coulson is a desk jockey, and admits, freely, that he hasn't been a field agent in a long time. Ming Na was directly pulled off of desk duty, and actually preferred clerical work to her old lifestyle. Fitz and Simmons - both pulled out of the lab, with episode 1 being their very first assignment. Skye is a (mobile) desk jockey, who, until recently, lived in a van, down by the river. The only active one is what's his name, Punchy McCrappyActor.

-Fred

No, maybe if Marvel had a guy named Green Lamp and they both shot energy beams from pieces of jewelry, you could make the connection. Black Canary and Black Widow, are non-super powered, hand-to-hand combatants, who both have more than a passing interest in a teammate that shoots arrows. If you can't see the direct correlation between the two, there's nothing I can do to help.

-Fred

Actually Black Canary does have powers. Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Why? Coulson is a desk jockey, and admits, freely, that he hasn't been a field agent in a long time. Ming Na was directly pulled off of desk duty, and actually preferred clerical work to her old lifestyle. Fitz and Simmons - both pulled out of the lab, with episode 1 being their very first assignment.
You said it yourself: pulled off. So the show is not about their former desk jobs, is it?

Black Canary has had a super power since the Silver Age: immobilizing screechy voice thing.

Okay, how does anyone who has seen the movies not realize that SHIELD has existed for a long time? Or does nobody understand the words "I'd like to talk to you about the Avengers Initiative?" Also, SHIELD has been around longer than most of the Avengers have been alive, having been started at the end of WW2 (or was it just afterward?)... Either way, SHIELD's been around a long time and has a lot going on outside of the Avengers. Let's look at the movie universe again. Nick Fury shows up, already the head of a pretty elaborate secret agency. Nobody ever thinks 'Huh, if they haven't been organizing and babysitting the Avengers, what HAVE they been doing all this time?' -- THAT is what the show has the ability to cover. THAT is what I am hoping is going to be the focus once this first-season-pilot-episodes stuff is done and all the characters are established and understood.

Yeah, some shows do a better, faster job of it, but looking at it from a filmmaker's perspective, you can't compare Heroes and SHIELD. SHIELD is covering a lot of established framework stuff in what is already a confusing history for fans of the comics and fans of just the movie universe. Heroes was just a bunch of people who woke up one day with powers. There's no backstory to have to really cover other than who these people were in their daily lives. With SHIELD, there are characters we already are familiar with, but we don't really know. The trick is to uncover their stories and the stories of the rest of the team and keep the action going. I wouldn't say it's been handled horribly, but there are definite things I would have changed (for better or for worse, just because it works in MY head doesn't mean it works on the screen), but I am not writing or directing or producing the show so I'll just take what I'm given.

Now on to the character of Sky and why she really doesn't work for me. The girl is cute as hell and she clearly can't be as horrible an actress as I want to feel like she comes off as, but I have a real problem with the CHARACTER. The above quote about being a high school dropout kinda really sums it up. Sky is what we call a viewpoint character. She is the one that we, the audience, experience things through. That's why most shows of this nature have a newbie to the team, so they can ask the questions like this:
SKY
Why's the alarm going off?!

WARD
Oh it's telling us that we've detected a farkemboop!

SKY
A what?

COULSON
Farkemboop! It's a really bad thing that when exposed to certain kind of radiation, it explodes.

SKY
Oh, so why the alarms?

COULSON
Because the radiation that this superpowered plane gives off is that rare kind of radiation and we are all going to die. And on my mother's birthday and I haven't called her yet!

Now this exchange explains a lot of stuff, because Sky had to ask. We get information about a farkemboop, we find out the plane gives off a rare radiation and we find out that Coulson's mom is alive and he calls her on her birthday every year. All these things can be used to further the current plot as well as plant seeds for future plots. It also gives us a little insight into the characters.

The problem with Sky is that she makes a poor viewpoint character. The role of a good viewpoint character in this sort of show is to be someone that we can identify with. S/he is supposed to ask the questions we as viewers have and do thing things we as humans would probably do, mistakes and all. She is a homeless tech genius who dropped out of highschool but is so very very smart that she's possibly some sort of savant. If she was a good (but not OMG YOU ARE SOOOOO GOOOOOOOD!) hacker with solid skills but had the background to back it up and the team needed to get her in order to infiltrate the whole Rising Tide network, that would be a bit easier to accept. Right now it feels like she's kinda sorta trying to maybe keep her options open because she's not sure she really wants to commit to SHIELD forever and ever, just thinks it's a good idea for the moment. We have no sense of why she's doing it other than that the show requires it. We're not invested enough to even care if she gets kidnapped by the Rising Tide and tortured for info about SHIELD and the agents. In fact, I wouldn't care if Ward went after her and they both died.

I'm going to give this the X-Files treatment. If by the start of the third season I am still less enthusiastic about it than I want to be, THEN I will consider it a failure. But you never know. It might go all X-Files on us and suddenly everything from the first two seasons starts coming together to make an amazing, amazing layered show. PapaJoss has been known to plant seeds throughout seasons that don't pay off for years, but when they do, damn is it good viewing.

SHIELD got better endorsement deals...

:lol Along those lines since it is a TV show with a limited budget, do companies pay for product placement or did Marvel have to buy new vehicles since the license from Acura could have been for the movies only?

In fact, I wouldn't care if Ward went after her and they both died.

Feel the same way. I really hope there is some character development and better chemistry between the cast or all this is going to be is watching Coulson and waiting for the next visit of Nick Fury.
Also, while SHIELD are the good guys they are not nice guys. What they say and do is not always the truth.
Perhaps it is all a giant set up to see how far Sky will go.

Well, I like it quite a bit so far. But the real question is: did anyone get any good pictures of that "night-night pistol" or whatever they called it from today's episode. We only got a short look at it, but it looks like it would be fun to make one.

I caught an episode tonight of this show, I think most the Marvel movies are pretty entertaining but this show just didn't do it for me. Preview for next weeks didn't look all that great either.

I'm no aeronautical engineer, but I'm pretty sure the extra engines on their C17 "Bus" would be pretty much worthless.

Overall, I'm enjoying the show, but it has yet to pull me in and make me really care about the characters. I guess I expected more from Joss Whedon after Firefly etc, but maybe he learned his lesson about making us love characters in the first season ;).

I guess I expected it to be a little more like Firefly than Hawaii Five-0 which is another enjoyable, action packed, check your brain at the door type show. Fun, but not a lot of substance.

Last night's episode did nothing for me. I'm growing weary of these young pretty people I care nothing about. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to watch this one. Watching it is starting to feel like homework.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back