Teecrooz’s Prop Collection: Updated: 22nd of December, 2023

Re: My Lightsaber Builds (All Real Parts and Replicas)

I have some 5mil VHB tape coming today for my R2 skins, so I will finally start attaching my lightsaber grips this weekend! I'm also going the faux screw and rivet route so that everything is reversible should any new reference decide to pop up. I have already trimmed my Exactra screw heads off and glued them to the grips for the Luke ESB and yesterday I put some pop rivets through my Kobold clip and then trimmed them with the Dremel. It's a vintage Folmer New York with the stamping in the right position, so that one will be the first one done. This has been a long time coming.

I have some 5mil VHB tape coming today for my R2 skins, so I will finally start attaching my lightsaber grips this weekend! I'm also going the faux screw and rivet route so that everything is reversible should any new reference decide to pop up. I have already trimmed my Exactra screw heads off and glued them to the grips for the Luke ESB and yesterday I put some pop rivets through my Kobold clip and then trimmed them with the Dremel. It's a vintage Folmer New York with the stamping in the right position, so that one will be the first one done. This has been a long time coming.

My same build is looming and I'd love to see your process if you'd be willing to share. I'm trying to go for a non destructive build on my Folmer New York.

Tape worked like a charm and I tested removal. Everything is completely reversible other than the extra hole I had to drill in the Kobold clip for the d-ring. I made one concession and made the grip and Kobold clip line up with the Graflex control box and vintage HP board. The Wampa scene shows the grip is slightly off center from the clip. Good thing is, I can always move it!

Board is upsdide down, I know. Fixed now, but not for picture.

IMG_4716.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

Last edited:

Fixed HP Board.

Nice! Yeah, I'm in for a penny, in for a pound with my ESB build since I already cut into the tube to "move" the stamp....

Though I've been having some thoughts about my ANH Luke and Vader builds...

Nice! Yeah, I'm in for a penny, in for a pound with my ESB build since I already cut into the tube to "move" the stamp....

Though I've been having some thoughts about my ANH Luke and Vader builds...

I am going to attach those grips sometime this weekend. Also going to rivet the d-ring clip and then grind it down so I can use the tape again. I'm struggling with drilling the Vader shroud and removing the MPP plaque. Part of the reason I picked up Patrice's authentic one step shroud. It was already drilled, so I can leave mine alone.

IMG_4720.JPG

I am going to attach those grips sometime this weekend. Also going to rivet the d-ring clip and then grind it down so I can use the tape again. I'm struggling with drilling the Vader shroud and removing the MPP plaque.

The MPP plaque was always going to stay regardless for me...

Chris, what type of rivets are those? All the ones I own have much flatter heads.
Also, could you provide a link or pic to the tape you used for the grips?

Chris, what type of rivets are those? All the ones I own have much flatter heads.

Believe it or not... regular double-sided sticky tape... I bought some to use to secure my custom plaques to the plaque holders and used some to test fit my grips for both my Graflex and MPP builds... they hold really solidly and actually take a bit of force (no pun intended) to remove them...

The rivets were the ones that came from Roy.

The tape I picked up on eBay for my R2 skins and figured I'd use it. I should have grabbed a wider roll just for the grips. I had to run some down each side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121893243529

Thanks for the info.
1/4" was too skinny? Wow. Which grips are you using? I've got the Saberfreak vintage brown which I believe is 1/4" wide. I'll have to double check it...
Thanks again.

Thanks for the info.
1/4" was too skinny? Wow. Which grips are you using? I've got the Saberfreak vintage brown which I believe is 1/4" wide. I'll have to double check it...
Thanks again.

I was using Gino's. 1/4 goes up into the "glue channel" and not much touched the flash handle itself. I ran it down both sides and it was fine.

$41 for shipping Priority to Europe ... I don't think so ... costs for postage worldwide has gone crazy :wacko

Anyhoo ... still need a Folmer 3 cell bottom with New York and no patent number if I ever want to finish my Hoth based Luke ESB, until then I have plenty of other projects to start with ... once I get back from babysitting my brother's cat.

Chaïm

The F9469 is very thin (0,013mm), so it really has not much "meat" fot the t-tracks channel. But nonetheless good for attaching the 2 skins on a R2 to each other without a big gap, that´s why i ordered a roll of that stuff.

For t-track I´ve bought a roll of 0,5mm F4905, hope it´s a good compromise between thin and gap-filling.

The F9469 is very thin (0,013mm), so it really has not much "meat" fot the t-tracks channel. But nonetheless good for attaching the 2 skins on a R2 to each other without a big gap, that´s why i ordered a roll of that stuff.

For t-track I´ve bought a roll of 0,5mm F4905, hope it´s a good compromise between thin and gap-filling.

That should work pretty well. Mine only worked because I ran two strips side by side, working out from the middle.

$41 for shipping Priority to Europe ... I don't think so ... costs for postage worldwide has gone crazy :wacko

Anyhoo ... still need a Folmer 3 cell bottom with New York and no patent number if I ever want to finish my Hoth based Luke ESB, until then I have plenty of other projects to start with ... once I get back from babysitting my brother's cat.

Chaïm

Yeah, shipping is nuts lately. I sent four international packages in the last two weeks. You can use the product codes to buy it from other sources to compare shipping rates.

Nice! Im wondering, whats the best way to cut the appropriate angles on Roys grips for an ANH saber?

And that's a sweet MPP.

Nice! Im wondering, whats the best way to cut the appropriate angles on Roys grips for an ANH saber?

And that's a sweet MPP.

Some people create a jig that has the angle on it. I measured from the end and hand filed each of them.

And thanks on the MPP! It took me about 20 years to track it down, from Icons Vader to real MPP.

I just eyeballed them with a dremel sanding drum! held the track sideways so I could watch the profile and just laid the sanding drum on them at my best guess angle.

the real props were all mostly eyeballed I hear, the grips don't match each other haha

teecrooz What do you favour as grip fixes on an ESB hilt? I bought one pre made, which is sort of an ESB hybrid - silver phillips head screws and small black screws at the emitter end like the ranch saber, but with a non-flipped kobold clip. The silver phillip head screws look odd to me. I know there's no "answer" but I tend to think either rivets or hex head screws look better.

So I plan to take off the grips and remake, without the small black screws and with either rivets or hex head screws. But interested in the thoughts of my betters ;)

I just eyeballed them with a dremel sanding drum! held the track sideways so I could watch the profile and just laid the sanding drum on them at my best guess angle.

Im extremely "un-DIY" but I DO own a dremel, so that's a great idea! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back