The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

It's nice to see some companies interested in WW1, it and Korea get neglected big time and the civil war is too touchy a subject to do in a game. I was watching a video on youtube and an airship got shot down and looked amazing as it Hindenburg'd into the ground. It landed right on the town everyone was fighting in and wiped it out.

I think the bigger issue with the Civil War is the technology of the time period. EA cheesed the history a bit with WWI to appeal to gamers that are used to modern weapons but I think that's harder to do with the 1860's. There is a kickstarter funded Civil War game called War of Rights coming out sometime soon. It looks like they're really trying to make it look and feel historically accurate and it looks pretty interesting!

Is it me or is Bethesda terrible at making attractive characters? It's better with Fallout 4 but in Skyrim so few characters are attractive and the elves are hideous.

I think the bigger issue with the Civil War is the technology of the time period. EA cheesed the history a bit with WWI to appeal to gamers that are used to modern weapons but I think that's harder to do with the 1860's. There is a kickstarter funded Civil War game called War of Rights coming out sometime soon. It looks like they're really trying to make it look and feel historically accurate and it looks pretty interesting!
Do you have to push 6 different buttons just to reload?

Is it me or is Bethesda terrible at making attractive characters? It's better with Fallout 4 but in Skyrim so few characters are attractive and the elves are hideous.

It’s not just you. That’s why my modded Skyrim game has like 5 mods just to make the people look better! :lol

Man, this gives me some cool ideas for a civil war shooter.
Maybe you start off with a .36 Whitney. Later you find a .44 Colt, which has better stopping power, but still takes forever to reload.
Until you find some cigarette papers and glue and learn how to make your own paper cartridges to speed up reloading.
Then you could find a .44 Remington, which has the same stopping power as a Colt, but can be speed loaded by swapping cylinders.
Collect cylinders from corpses to stay in the fight longer without having to hide somewhere to reload.
Someone make this game! I want to play it!

As long as they let me have a Lemat i'm all for it. I used to read a post apocalyptic novel series called Deathlands that would have made a really good fallout-style RPG yet all that happened with it is 30 years of novels (it started in 86 and is still going) was a terrible scifi channel movie.

Haha I think its just one animation, but it takes about 25 seconds between shots. It looks like they're really trying to push realistic unit tactics so you'll all be firing at once instead of running around CoD-style trying to reload. I'm really curious how it'll turn out and if there will be a big enough audience for it

The problem with that is the amount of time it would take to reload. I didn't get Battlefield 1 mainly because it came out too soon IMO. I played BF3 for about two years straight, got BF4 and I got bored and didn't even play most of the DLC, even though I had Premium. A problem that cropped up with COD 1 & 2 was that you could be a dead shot with a rifle (M1 or KAR98), which I was, but people would always use SMGs and rush the other side and mow down most of the riflemen. That's what I thought would happen with BF1. Maybe I'm wrong. As far as the Civil War, I think something similar would happen. People would be reloading and some idiots would ruin it by rushing with some easier to use weapon. Part of that could be realistic, like if you were charged, but I'm not sure how you would balance it.

I didn't think Fallout 4 was too bad, but F3 was pretty close and THE worst was Oblivion. The models on there look like they had opened the Arc of the Covenant and looked directly into it. The only thing with Fallout 4, as far as NPC models, that I considered modding was something to make the settlers look clean in your settlement. I mean I spent all that time building you water purifiers, wash your dang face! :lol I still don't know why Bethesda didn't make toilets and sinks increase the happiness of your settlement either!

Haha I think its just one animation, but it takes about 25 seconds between shots. It looks like they're really trying to push realistic unit tactics so you'll all be firing at once instead of running around CoD-style trying to reload. I'm really curious how it'll turn out and if there will be a big enough audience for it
It would be interesting to see it done right. I used to go to civil war reenactments years ago. Was quite fun.

I was the same way with CoD1.. a total bolt-action loyalist. I was pretty disappointed that there would be a heavy emphasis on smgs and semi-autos in BF1 and that bolt-action rifles were limited to the scout class (and that the scout class wears capes). I'm actually pretty pleased though and find it to be similar to CoD1 where playing with a bolt rifle is a viable option with the disadvantage at close ranges. I've been using the Gewehr more than anything else and don't feel too limited even when I'm taking a point. Its still sad from a history perspective, but gameplay-wise I think they did a good job at balancing it.

I married Lydia in skyrim just because she was already at the house and was the only remotely attractive woman. This game should be a dad simulator: you get home and your kids ask for money and then ask if they can keep a pet who is already obviously happy at the house lol.

Edit: Apparently bethesda's stopped caring about fallout 4: my pipboy is still broken unless i'm in my power armor and this last achievement in the last DLC is still not popping for a lot of folks.

Last edited:
My nephew calls Lydia his pack mule. :lol That's one of the dumb things in Skyrim that as a guy, the most attractive (besides Lydia) women in the game you can't marry. Then there's the one girl in the alchemy shop in Markarth, but I decided she was too murdery to be around my kids, despite me being a member of the Dark Brotherhood.

I'm kind of glad i just stick it old school. seeing all this talk on new age games just seems weird and confusing :)..

speaking of which, what are my chances of getting a nes mini in a toys r us on Friday?

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the mini NES, it's going to be next summer before any of us get those i bet. Once the novelty wears off hopefully they're more common. We're going to have to go thru this crap next year when the genesis goes back into production and apparently it's not one of those crappy ones we get at the dollar store that are basically the Fire Core Genesis 3 from 1997 but something more like this mini nes or even the original version. I wish they'd put out a new sega cd.

I read that the Genesis reproduction will only be available in Brazil, where its still really popular. And that it will also have a SD card slot and some built in games.
As for this new NES, probably not worth it for only 30 games. If you want a true NES experience, you need the Analogue Nt. Although its a bit pricey.
http://www.analogue.co/pages/nt-mini

Honestly that sega sounds exactly like the ones we get here for 40.00 but without the SD card slot. You could probably buy a cart with all the games on it and use that or get a cart with an sd slot.

Almost all the Sega games I like playing have been ported to either the PS2 or 3. Only a few that I still need the Genesis for. I need to see if my 32X still works. Been years since I've played it.

So whats everyones game setup look like? I made this about 2 years ago because I just didn't have the space anymore. Used to have the Sega on top, but needed more room for models. I need to get more shelfs.

systems.jpg

I'm getting a wheeled plastic cart to sit the older systems on as i use them and store stuff in. Mine are all on shelves with makeshift dust covers on them until i learn to sew or find someone who makes them.

I really wish I had kept my NES and Genesis. I gave both of them to my cousins when I got bored with them... I think my parents still have the Coleco Vision somewhere though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back