Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

I had a thought this weekend. As much as I'm against the Ghostbusters reboot, the look on my kids face when she saw girl Ghostbusters was pure joy and excitement! Maybe I can have my Ghostbusters and she can have hers and the world will still be a good place.

There is no reason that Feig couldn't have made a SEQUEL that included some women among the cast and among the team.

No reason? You just gave one. Paul doesn't settle for "some" when it comes to female leads, and neither do I! And if he's going to create these characters and give them the best possible chance to really solidify themselves in a world full of Ghosts, than they have to be THE Ghostbusters.

Instead he had to crap on everything that came before because he doesn't give a damn about a classic.

Hey, if this movie turns out to be terrible, Paul is giving you the best gift you could ever want. If it's terrible, at least it didn't tarnish the classic by being a follow-up to it. Plus, I think he cares more about Ghostbusters than you know.

Hey, if this movie turns out to be terrible, Paul is giving you the best gift you could ever want. If it's terrible, at least it didn't tarnish the classic by being a follow-up to it. Plus, I think he cares more about Ghostbusters than you know.

No, he doesn't. If he did he'd have made a sequel. And it will suck. It will be ****. And I hope it destroys his career. And I will be glad it destroys his career, because after this, after it fails, we won't get the sequel we DESERVE.

I had a thought this weekend. As much as I'm against the Ghostbusters reboot, the look on my kids face when she saw girl Ghostbusters was pure joy and excitement! Maybe I can have my Ghostbusters and she can have hers and the world will still be a good place.

Girl Ghostbusters isn't the issue. Can you imagine a world where you both could have had both of these teams?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

No reason? You just gave one. Paul doesn't settle for "some" when it comes to female leads, and neither do I!

You are probably the most predictable person on this board. The only thing you ever seem to care about any film is entirely based on the gender of the characters and where they fit into the story. You don't want equality, you want your agenda.

If someone comes on here and says they won't settle for men sharing the lead with women they're branded as sexist (rightly so). You, Jeyl, are sexist.

You come on here and take people's very valid concerns and arguments and pick out a little nugget out of context and try to make it sound like their only problem is that it's girls. That is total BS. Failing that you make some snarky comment that either totally disregards the valid issue or belittles it.

FACT: Like it or not this is stunt casting. There wouldn't be nearly as much talk about this film if it were an all male cast. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it's true. Stop calling people sexist for calling a spade a spade.

FACT: Paul turned down this film multiple times because he didn't want to do it. That doesn't mean he won't do a perfectly adequate job but his capitulation of "I can do my usual thing and put a GB sticker on it" does not indicate he loves the property.

FACT: A reboot/remake invites MORE criticism because it's intended to retell the original. If the original was better, or even just beloved, then people will of course be more up in arms than if it were a sequel.

Now add to those facts that everything we've seen is just like the original but kinda less good shows this for what it increasingly seems to be: An unoriginal rehash with gender swapped roles for press.

The jumpsuits are the same, but not as good. Ecto 1 is the same, but not as good. The race of all the characters is the same, the logo is the same, etc. Instead of using the reboot to do something new they're just using it as a cop out.

Once again there is NO reason this couldn't be a sequel. Wouldn't need cameos, wouldn't even need much reference to the original aside from the most basic of setups. Then at least this team could stand on its own and not be subject to constant direct comparison to the original classic.

I really like the idea of an all female team, but the way they're doing it is absolute garbage.

No, he doesn't. If he did he'd have made a sequel. And it will suck. It will be ****. And I hope it destroys his career. And I will be glad it destroys his career, because after this, after it fails, we won't get the sequel we DESERVE.

You have a very warped sense of priorities. You're actually "hoping" that this movie will not only bomb, but also destroy Paul Feig's career as well? And you somehow think that will stop the studio from making a sequel that you feel we're all somehow entitled to? Are you out of your mind? How is any of that reasonable thing to hope for? It's despicable.

Girl Ghostbusters isn't the issue. Can you imagine a world where you both could have had both of these teams?

I gotta say I don't understand this comment, you do have both teams. Just because this movie is being made, and it may or may not suck, it doesn't take away the previous movies and team from you. You saw the movie, I have it on my DVR right now, it doesn't destroy anything you felt or experienced in the past.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but based on what you responded to, dbalschi comment holds. He still has his GB and his little girl will now have hers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta say I don't understand this comment, you do have both teams. Just because this movie is being made, and it may or may not suck, it doesn't take away the previous movies and team from you. You saw the movie, I have it on my DVR right now, it doesn't destroy anything you felt or experienced in the past.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but based on what you responded to, dbalschi comment holds. He still has his GB and his little girl will now have hers.

I meant two teams in the same fictional universe. His comment said a team for him and a team for her, there's no reason for them to be mutually exclusive. They could both have two teams.

I meant two teams in the same fictional universe. His comment said a team for him and a team for her, there's no reason for them to be mutually exclusive. They could both have two teams.

and actually, it kind of has destroyed a little of what I felt in the past. all this negativity over a movie that shouldn't have been made at all is draining. now i'm starting to think of nothing but arguing and vitrol when I think of ghostbusters. and some of the nasty part of the fandom in general is coming back into my mind. seems it's still there based on what I read in other places.

And also, regarding the point of kids liking it just because they are women. I must be the odd one out here, because I don't care what gender a character is. I don't need to see someone like me to enjoy the final product so long as the story is good. case in point. HBO's the Worst Witch in the 80s. all women cast, one of my favorite halloween movies as a kid at around age 6 or so and still a favorite today that gets dragged out even when it's not halloween. that movie still brings a smile to my face for it's goofy charm.

You probably also don't need to see someone like yourself because the majority of people in movies are white men.

It's kind of a different story if you're not.

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

What's your angle here? That audiences don't want to to see funny women?

Well I'll show my cards since nobody bit much.
I think generally people can be uncomfortable with women portrayed as the "court jester".
Male characters tend to be far more likely to be the case.
Family Guy, Simpsons great examples. Big hits right for years? The fathers are often portrayed as dim for humor sake.
One of my favorite kids shows... Amazing World of Gumball. The father is again the idiot.
The mother in charge and sharp.
The little sister portrayed as smart, just like the daughter on Simpsons. The boys getting into amusing idiocy of all kinds.
There is a pattern for sure with male characters.
Commercials even have a trend to show males as being loopy, with a wife there
to guide the silly male.

Even Egon our "smart" Ghostbuster... Goofy nerd collecting mold, spores and fungus.

Women as our "court jesters" is not as embraced generally given that list I posted.
I think there is something going on in general, not always, just generally to respect women and that is why laughing at them
may not be as popular as laughing at males when we look at that list of hit comedy movies I posted.
Do we have a Lucille Ball zany dizzy antics TV show right now? I'm not sure.
Carol Burnett would portray some dizzy women but that was quite some time ago, and of course different kind of show
being tons of skits.

I dunno, seems male as clown is simply preferred at the box office and I'm pondering why that is?
My theory is.. respect for women. We seem to want more positive role models for girls perhaps?

When it's send in the clowns time, people I think feel more comfortable laughing at male idiots?

Last edited:

I see, so when you said "Can you imagine a world where you both..." you meant a GB universe where both existed. I can see that point, and how it could better. I guess I also see where that could of resulted in a really crap movie also.

Well I was coming back to this to retort...but Michael 'bout covered it...lol

Well said!

The fact that you have to defend a director so vehemently, while most are realizing, as Michael said...a spade for a spade...doesn't lend much to what's on the table. The main fact that he didn't want to do this and seems to have been forced into it? You know, Peter Jackson was forced into a corner to make The Hobbit, and look how that turned out. But with that I atleast still enjoyed the art direction and costume designs. With this? It's literally a rehash of the same designs from the original, just not as good.

I don't think there's much more I can say on the topic that hasn't already been said by myself or others. If you want to go pay to see the movie, go do so. That's your right as it is the right of others to prefer to keep their $10 for something that might be more deserving of it in their eyes.

Once again there is NO reason this couldn't be a sequel. Wouldn't need cameos, wouldn't even need much reference to the original aside from the most basic of setups. Then at least this team could stand on its own and not be subject to constant direct comparison to the original classic.

I really like the idea of an all female team, but the way they're doing it is absolute garbage.

I wish a movie friend of mine could see some of these posts. while I have no doubt he loves the BRAND over the idea, and would be willing to give this a chance no matter how it went down....he also has sony contacts, so I instantly think of his views as a bit...skewed...being so close to hollywood.

It's also interesting to see all these ghostbuster fan pages on FB. the ones I visit seem to be FOR MOVIE being made... while 95% of the posts on any article they post about it seem to be AGAINST MOVIE being made. one can't help but wonder if sony contacted them too. It's just a very weird dynamic out there right now.

So much potential squandered doing it the way they are. A true sequel with a good story could have had an all female cast easily. Not this stereotype social roles carp show were getting.

Would you mind elaborating on that 'completely getting women wrong' statement? It's a pretty damning charge especially when you consider the fact that three of his four movies, Bridesmaids, The Heat and this new Ghostbusters movie have female writers on them. And since Spy is Paul Feig's most successful film in terms of ratings where he shares sole writing credit, you're pretty much accusing women for failing to write women simply for being women. Seriously, what do you got?

I'd like to see an answer to this one...

The links were posted a page back, where actual feminists believe that his movies are protraying women in the wrong light. Currently it's one woman with a writing credit, along side Feig.

I never once said that I was accusing a woman of being a woman, blah blah...where are you coming up with this?? Honestly, just because she's a woman, doesn't mean she'll do all women any justice. That's literally placing her personality as the end all be all for the main percentage of women out there. Literally all of Feig's movies have been the reverse buddy cop/pigeon holed people. Not just women, but mainly so. Just because I don't like certain stereotypes, especially vastly unfunny ones, doesn't make me not a "lady". It's bull.

I happen to be a WOMAN, who's also a TOMBOY, who likes "dude" stuff. Stereotypical I guess...so friggin' what?? I also don't like the types of movies that Feig has been a part of. They're not funny to me. They're rehashed stuff, delivered in an unfunny manner. It's boring if anything to me.

If he and his writing team weren't going to stereotype again, why in the hell did they put Chris Hemsworth in Melnitz's place?? I don't care how hard they try to doof him up, he's a heart throb. They're literally playing the "hot seceretary" stereotype here. That is doing NO favors to creep out of the hole that society has placed sexualized women into. You're literally baiting again, and starting the process all over.

I, as a woman, enjoy funny females. I aspire to be a damn riot myself, and was known as a class clown back in the day. I love to make people laugh. So I also know comedy when I see it...and many of the women/writers/directors involved don't tend to make me laugh. There are a good bit of funny women out there that they could have picked. But Feig continued to pigeon hole himself, and use several people he's used before. I've watched Mike and Molly...the supporting cast is FAR funnier than both Mike AND Molly combined. Her mother and sister are far funnier than she is.

I thought SNL stopped being funny years ago, but the stuff I have seen with the SNL girls? Meh. Dry if anything.

I actually thought Annie Potts was damned hilarious in the old one. I wanted to high five her at so many points.

A lot has to do with who wrote for them, and I know Ackroyd and Ramis' older scripts and character depictions have trickled in, as they both have writing credits. But the fact they've been pitching this for years doesn't say very much. It's what made me leery from the start.

One example that comes to mind was IT Crowd; so many people asked for one last tie-up episode from them. They finally did it...and it was a bit lackluster. The material was forced. it wasn't nearly as funny as the original series.

THAT, that right there is a main concern of many. Those of you that are literally being sexist YOURSELF by pitting the sexes against each other, are mucking this up even worse.

Friggin' get over the sex issue. Only a small handful of dumb, trolling fan boys made it about that. They're the same idiots that ruined the Killing Joke homage Batgirl cover for the rest of us.

Go see the damned movie if you want. I literally could give a flip at this point. But don't come over here and pigeon hole me in with the rest of this garbage.

Last edited:
And lastly, since I talked about this with a friend of mine last night....if you want to see strong females in leading roles, there's nothing wrong with that! I do as well...clearly. I aspire to be a bad ass when I can.

But DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT act like we haven't had a good run from time to time. You can't expect the world to change over night. It never will. That's wistful thinking.

Start showing your kids the same movies/tv shows with leading women...here I can name a few:

1. ALIEN ANTHOLOGY - If you cast out Ripley and refuse to show future generations one of the original bad ass females in Sci-Fi history...you have no honor.
2. Mad Max: Fury Road - A sequel that got it right. AND it wasn't in your face about it. Perfection.
3. Princess Leia
4. Agent Carter
5. SARAH, FRIGGIN' CONNOR.
6. Lt. Uhura and Capt. Janeway
7. Firefly - Zoe. Kaylee. River. Inara.
8. Farscape - Need I say more, or do I have to list like I did with Firefly?
9. Dana Scully
10. Michonne from Walking Dead
11. Mako from Pacific Rim

I could go on for an hour here...but seriously, stop excluding the past and refusing to show new generations these amazing stories that got it right. Sure they had male counterparts, but that's called BALANCE. It's called being human instead of labeling one thing one way. It is proven that original concepts and sequels done correctly will kick all sorts of ass. Reboots, by and large, either fail or might be half decent, but not enough to be REMEMBERED.

And if you say that any of those movies aren't something you can show your kids....please remember that Ghostbusters wasn't exactly a kid film. We just so happened to be able to watch it when we were kids and took it over. Venkman says "Make 'em hard!" for cyin' out loud. Didn't even realize that 'til I grew up, amoungst many other slipped in things for adults.

So there it is. Final post on this. I'm resting my case.

Last edited:
The links were posted a page back, where actual feminists believe that his movies are protraying women in the wrong light.

If this is referencing the two links I posted, I would have to take slight umbrage with this characterization of them.

It's not really so much a condemnation of Feig, as it is arguing that the films are less a "feminist" victory than touted, because of the tropes if plays off of. Both are also arguments of degrees and not straight out opposition. They're "yes, but..." articles.

Friggin' get over the sex issue. Only a small handful of dumb, trolling fan boys made it about that. They're the same idiots that ruined the Killing Joke homage Batgirl cover for the rest of us.

Go see the damned movie if you want. I literally could give a flip at this point. But don't come over here and pigeon hole me in with the rest of this garbage.

the fact that we're even still talking about it over how many pages now, thanks to a small amount of people who thinks it needs to be an issue...
shows how wrong it was to go this direction. it's no longer even about ghostbusters anymore for some. it's about....womens rights? women not being in enough films? not having leading roles? I've forgotten by this point.....

thank you feigy feigy feigy. you have been a bad monkey. i'd like to shoot the monster you created, can you move please?

and hella yes on agent carter.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back