Did Luke's Graflex Lightsabers Have Batteries While filming?

D3adrock

Hi, I'm curious as to whether Lukes graflex lightsabers (from ESB and ANH) had D cell (or is it c cell) batteries while they were being filmed. The reason I'm asking is I was reading a quote from George Lukas where he told Mark Hamill to hold the lightsaber as if it where a heavy weapon, specifically in the scene in obi-wans hut where he first picks it up. Now obviously Graflex flash's where meant to hold batteries during use. Wouldn't it make sense if Hamill or some other member of the crew had installed the batteries for weight? Also compared to obi-wans lightsaber, if it hadn't had batteries would have been relatively light. So does anybody think this is feasible? Or has it even been discussed before on here?

For ANH, the props with blades had motors in the hilt which spun rods covered in front screen projection material for the lightsaber effect (which was later covered over with animation when the effect was less than desirable). These motors were powered by batteries worn by the actors with the cables running through their sleeves.

Batteries could potentially break and leak, causing damage to the prop and costume and potentially injure the actor. And while for the Obi-Wan saber it was unavoidable due to the prop's components, it would make sense wanting a handheld prop held by actors or hanging on a belt to be lightweight.

So no, despite Lucas' thoughts on lightsaber combat, I don't think they did anything to the static Graflex props to make them actually heavy.

Batteries could potentially break and leak, causing damage to the prop and costume and potentially injure the actor. And while for the Obi-Wan saber it was unavoidable due to the prop's components, it would make sense wanting a handheld prop held by actors or hanging on a belt to be lightweight.

So no, despite Lucas' thoughts on lightsaber combat, I don't think they did anything to the static Graflex props to make them actually heavy.
That makes sense.

I'd say not. It would just bash and bruise away Mark's leg. If Roman's replica is any indication, th Oni-Wan hanger was heavy as hell. Maybe that's why there's that BTS shot where it's on the ground between takes.

no batteries i'd say... they had screws and rivets in the bottom tube.. dont think the batteries would fit with the screws/rivets

no batteries i'd say... they had screws and rivets in the bottom tube.. dont think the batteries would fit with the screws/rivets

I'm with SethS halli, as far as ANH goes. I have batteries in my GRAFLEXes (ANH style). But you're right about ESB/TFA styles with screws in the T-Grips, the D-Cells wouldn't fit if there were nuts on the inside of the tube behind the tube wall in the T-Grips.

Now rivets.... that might fit, just barely, but I haven't tried it that way.

Not in ANH... ;)

I'm with SethS halli, as far as ANH goes. I have batteries in my GRAFLEXes (ANH style). But you're right about ESB/TFA styles with screws in the T-Grips, the D-Cells wouldn't fit if there were nuts on the inside of the tube behind the tube wall in the T-Grips.

Now rivets.... that might fit, just barely, but I haven't tried it that way.

i should have been more descriptive :$

George Lukas where he told Mark Hamill to hold the lightsaber as if it where a heavy weapon

Yah, I remember watching that too.:D Lucas wanted the actors to portray the lite-sabers (get it?) as though they were heavy English Broadswords. I think he was telling them that because the lightsaber props were very light weight compared to a real sword. He wanted the actors to make us believe that it required great effort to weild a lightsaber as we watched them dueling.

I don't think there was any room for batteries in the GRAFLEX Lightsaber, they had a motor down inside it to spin the blade, and the motor was wired... so no need for batteries. Now that's not to say that the motor itself and whatever held onto the blade weren't as heavy or heavier than 3 D-cells!

The only shots where there may have been an option for batteries to be in the GRAFLEX Lightsaber, would have been when Obi-Wan pulls it out of his infamous lightsaber chest. If I'm remembering correctly, once Luke has it in hand while standing, it's the motorized version. Mark paused once he held up his arm, they rushed in the blade, and continued filming as he began to move again waving the now lit lightsaber around.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber REAL PARTS static prop would easily be as heavy as any sword hilt/pommel, but, if I've learned this properly, the Obi-Wan Shared Stunt was an aluminum casting of a lathed wooden prop built to make the bladed stunt version of the Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber. So, though it'd be lighter than it's mostly steel REAL PARTS static counterpart, it'd still be heavier than the hollow tube of a GRAFLEX, with or without its blade spinning motor setup.

So, poor old Sir Alec Guinness probably had to "act" a little less in ANH than Mark Hamill did in that regard. ;)

Good question overall! I personally have my GRAFLEXes full-o-batteries, that way they can still be used as flashlights via their spot lights!

Last edited:
I don't think there was any room for batteries in the GRAFLEX Lightsaber, they had a motor down inside it to spin the blade, and the motor was wired... so no need for batteries. Now that's not to say that the motor itself and whatever held onto the blade weren't as heavy or heavier than 3 D-cells!

The only shots where there may have been an option for batteries to be in the GRAFLEX Lightsaber, would have been when Obi-Wan pulls it out of his infamous lightsaber chest. If I'm remembering correctly, once Luke has it in hand while standing, it's the motorized version. Mark paused once he held up his arm, they rushed in the blade, and continued filming as he began to move again waving the now lit lightsaber around.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber REAL PARTS static prop would easily be as heavy as any sword hilt/pommel, but, if I've learned this properly, the Obi-Wan Shared Stunt was an aluminum casting of a lathed wooden prop built to make the bladed stunt version of the Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber. So, though it'd be lighter than it's mostly steel REAL PARTS static counterpart, it'd still be heavier than the hollow tube of a GRAFLEX, with or without its blade spinning motor setup.

Hold on there

Luke also had a separate bladed prop. None of the flash units were ever converted to motor set-ups as far as we can tell. they had the plain pipe with T track and a clamp for that.
check out scott juarez's photo
lukeobigraflex2_scottjua.jpg

Hold on there

Luke also had a separate bladed prop. None of the flash units were ever converted to motor set-ups as far as we can tell. they had the plain pipe with T track and a clamp for that.
That was my reasoning but I think I've been disproved. Mostly because of Marks bruised leg (although that would make it more authentic)

We also would have seen flash units modified for wire exit (holes drilled in the bottom in weird places) and the socket would have to be removed. We have no evidence of that, and we've got a prop they used for motor use already. Not sure where we're going here :lol

We also would have seen flash units modified for wire exit (holes drilled in the bottom in weird places) and the socket would have to be removed. We have no evidence of that, and we've got a prop they used for motor use already. Not sure where we're going here :lol

never thought of that before, good thinking!

Hold on there Luke also had a separate bladed prop. None of the flash units were ever converted to motor set-ups as far as we can tell. they had the plain pipe with T track and a clamp for that.

DOH! You're right! Forgot it was a look-a-like! Here I am catching halliwax -disease. ;) Serves me right. :lol

So, in light of that revelation, I'd say it would require someone watching how the GRAFLEX moves when hooked on Luke's belt while he's walking around in ANH and ESB. Then simulating those movements with and without batteries installed to see which best emulates the movement of the GRAFLEX as seen on screen. I seem to remember Luke covering his lightsaber with his hand while walking. Of course that could go either way as far as the battery/no batteries argument goes. If it didn't have any batteries within it, it would bounce more freely. But with batteries it would bounce more heavily. When I walk around with mine (batteries always in) it requires that I cover it to prevent it from thumping around (more concerned about it hopping out of its hook than harming my leg when it thumps back into me).

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure where we're going here :lol

In circles... as always! ;) That's part of the fun.... getting dizzy that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I walk around with mine (batteries always in) it requires that I cover it to prevent it from thumping around (more concerned about it hopping out of its hook than harming my leg when it thumps back into me).

This reminds me, can anyone recommend or suggest a good alternative to actual batteries for a to sit on a shelf/hang on a belt? I've always wondered how much a lightsaber is "supposed to" weigh and would like to represent that once I finally get around to acquiring one.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back