best way to handle overspray\bleed through?

ower

I apparently did not do as well of a job as I thought masking off and got some overspray\bleed through (disregard the hair that snuck into the photo) and was wondering what the best way to handle the removal and clean up, hopefully with no or minimal damage to the paint below. I'm not trying to have to strip the area and start over.

I figured wet sanding with 2000 or 4000 would be the way to go, but saw people talking about Clay bar though that looks like it's more geared to Auto or Auto Detailing. Any other techniques I may be over looking or think about trying or sanding my best bet?

IMG_20171128_100317.jpg

You could probably spray some of the black paint into a bottle or cup, and then use a paint brush and a steady hand to smoothly paint over it. But it might still be slightly noticeable. If you decide to sand back down and start over, make sure you use a good blue painters tape for masking and then the next time you apply the copperish color, always spray VERY light coats. It looks like you went too heavy too fast and it bled. You want to build up the color in thin layers and ALWAYS spray from the taped side to the color you are applying so you do not spray at the edge of the tape.

Best way for this:
paint the black
Tape it off
Paint black again
Then paint the orange.

This is a good tip - another way is to spray a clear coat after masking to seal the tape edge.

As far as fixing your current paint job: see if you can buff off some of that orange paint with the side of a toothpick, and follow up with some Novus 1 2 3 plastic polish. I mention the toothpick because sometimes you get lucky and the bled paint doesn't fully adhere to the base layer.

This is a good tip - another way is to spray a clear coat after masking to seal the tape edge.

As far as fixing your current paint job: see if you can buff off some of that orange paint with the side of a toothpick, and follow up with some Novus 1 2 3 plastic polish. I mention the toothpick because sometimes you get lucky and the bled paint doesn't fully adhere to the base layer.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'm actually going to try this first.. I'm not sure why I did it the way I did this time but I actually did a clear after the black, but before switched over to doing the orange instead of waiting until the end. So I'm gonna try the toothpick suggestion first in hopes it didn't fully adhere but seems the consensus of everyone else is just mask off and redo the black. :thumbsup

I've used automotive vinyl tape, Its low tack enough that it wont lift paint and seals down the edge nicely. I usually lay that down for edges, then cover the bulk of the prop in standard painters tape.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back