Bandai release schedule

I dont think those big Bandai "show SD" with the oversized trenches are the final model, i always assumed it was another modified kit as theres gaps under the front of the superstructure and the dimensions look off. If you look at the dimensions of the Tiny one they did Bandai clearly know what they are doing:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61490450@N08/26963312486/in/photostream/

That looks awesome! I would love a 1/1700 94cm version of that.

Super Chogokin Millennium Falcon (Probably a toy not a model)
View attachment 721269

http://www.taghobby.com/archives/182798

I spy a 1:72 TIE Striker on the top shelf of the kit display in the pictures.

When it comes to Star Wars, how much one likes the movie is likely the biggest factor in whether the design is "cool." Don't believe me? Two words: Slave One.
Not really. I loved rogue one but hate the shuttle design in there and am not very fond of the Tie Striker design. I like Force Awakens more than the lackluster ship desings and on the flip side. I love many of the prequel designs much more than I like the movies

Not really. I loved rogue one but hate the shuttle design in there and am not very fond of the Tie Striker design. I like Force Awakens more than the lackluster ship desings and on the flip side. I love many of the prequel designs much more than I like the movies

I still say its likely the biggest factor. It's the 'babies out with the bathwater" phenomenon. But, yes, there's always an exception to any rule.

I really like the look of those lil ships skimming accross the salt flat, dragging up red dust for cover. That battles going to look cool from above, the red earth will look like a bloodbath, great way to keep it "PGwhatever" for kids and still have it looking good.

While those bigger pistol shaped ships in space look a bit boring to me, the CGI & special effects are AWESOME & those laser bolts and exploding TIE's are SO cool.

For me, at least, the TLJ ships are uninspiring. Hopefully this means that Bandai will push the OT ships and other designs.

TazMan2000

So far yes. I think they got the D Team designers on this. The should have hired the guys who worked on Rogue One. There are a LOT LOT LOT better designs already in the EU that they could have used. But hey let's just chop the end off the medical frigate and call it a new ship.

Crappy looking ships would probably because the resistance is scraping stuff together after the whole Republic fleet was pretty much destroyed :)

If only that was the reason...

I think the point here is that they can still design scrape ships to look nice. I am sure all will agreed that doesn't mean if its cheap or old, it has to look ugly. And for being a fantasy movie, the more reason ships can be design to look nice. Its part of the original eye candy the new team of film makers has forgotten. I read someone in a SW forum suggesting using The Old Republic designers to handle the new movies, I cannot agreed more because I also like the designs in TOR so far.

I just felt the design team responsible for the new movies are just not good enough OR, the directors just couldn't be bothered what looks good to be selected to be in the movies.

As for Bandai, I can only hope that their small kits sell very well enough for them to consider making bigger kits like more 1/48 or that large SD. Still, no news from Celebration.

I think the point here is that they can still design scrape ships to look nice. I am sure all will agreed that doesn't mean if its cheap or old, it has to look ugly. And for being a fantasy movie, the more reason ships can be design to look nice. Its part of the original eye candy the new team of film makers has forgotten.

I totally agree with you. Compared to the other trilogies (even the PT) the new trilogy introduced so few new ships. The nods to the OT ships were good (SD, TIE & X-Wing) but whenever they tried to make something new they came up with something boring or weird. When Revell showcased their product range for TFA I was so underwhelmed by the lack of variety. Having seen the movie it was clear to me that the company was unable to do better because there was nothing interesting left for them to offer.

On a German forum a member called the fighter approaching the walkers a "Russian podracer" which I also had in mind when I first saw it. This is another example of a weird design, however, I'm curious to know why they have to touch the ground during flight (like they are picking up some fuel or such). The frigate looks uninspired though.

On a German forum a member called the fighter approaching the walkers a "Russian podracer" which I also had in mind when I first saw it.

Naah, the first thought I had was, "Hey, they look like the small imperial probe droids, seen in the streets of SE Mos Eisley"

And I wondered, if the will cover the walkers in red dust clouds until they fall :) :)

Imo getting the designers in from the games/cartoons would, on the whole be a disaster. The problem with some of the new designs, like the "First Order elite Speederbike" for example is that it looks like it was designed by someone from the games/cartoons and not the films, imo they completely & lazily wrecked that design. The Hammerhead Corvette was good once the Film designers gave it a makeover. Heres a video about the U-wing design process.

I havent seen much of the new A-wing yet, but it doesnt look that much different to me so far. On the plus side the T-70 X-wing. U-wing, Reys speeder, Starkiller Base, Rens Shuttle, FO TIE SF, FO Landing Craft and new SD look great to me.

I think the new ship from TLJ looks more Amercian than Russian, the base of the wings remind me of a F4U Corsair. I guess the red dirt its dragging up behind it contains metals that blocks the walkers aiming systems, or maybe theres something else behind them that they are hiding in the dust.

Overall I like that new designs are being explored, the films Universe is huge and when we explore different alien worlds, i want to see something fresh. Im looking forward to the next trailer allready & i cant wait to see what Bandai are going to make next!

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with you. Compared to the other trilogies (even the PT) the new trilogy introduced so few new ships. The nods to the OT ships were good (SD, TIE & X-Wing) but whenever they tried to make something new they came up with something boring or weird. When Revell showcased their product range for TFA I was so underwhelmed by the lack of variety. Having seen the movie it was clear to me that the company was unable to do better because there was nothing interesting left for them to offer.

On a German forum a member called the fighter approaching the walkers a "Russian podracer" which I also had in mind when I first saw it. This is another example of a weird design, however, I'm curious to know why they have to touch the ground during flight (like they are picking up some fuel or such). The frigate looks uninspired though.

Oh yes, even the PT have few nice ships. At least Lucas didn't forget that the ships are also the stars of the show on the PT. The design team want to stay within Ralph Mcquarrie's design language which I can respect BUT they gave themselves unnecessary restrictions that it hindered their creativity! I am sure there are good artist there in the team but we are definitely not getting anything nice, so far! This is IMO, as I think there are lot of people who really love the new ships.

To be fair, we haven't have a good look at the new Awing and there was a rumour of a new X-Wing sometimes back. The frigate seen in the trailer is ...ugh. Yeh, the Russian podracers. LOL Seeing these weird speeder ships attacking ATAT scene also makes me think they are making TLJ the new ESB as TFA was ANH. I wonder who's going to get frozen in carbonite now. LOL

Oh yes, even the PT have few nice ships. At least Lucas didn't forget that the ships are also the stars of the show on the PT. The design team want to stay within Ralph Mcquarrie's design language which I can respect BUT they gave themselves unnecessary restrictions that it hindered their creativity! I am sure there are good artist there in the team but we are definitely not getting anything nice, so far! This is IMO, as I think there are lot of people who really love the new ships.

To be fair, we haven't have a good look at the new Awing and there was a rumour of a new X-Wing sometimes back. The frigate seen in the trailer is ...ugh. Yeh, the Russian podracers. LOL Seeing these weird speeder ships attacking ATAT scene also makes me think they are making TLJ the new ESB as TFA was ANH. I wonder who's going to get frozen in carbonite now. LOL
But the design team isn't looking at the process mcquarrie, Johnston, and Lucas followed.

They are just looking at the unused concept art.

I was going through the rogue one concept art book and I couldn't believe how many ship concepts were simply kitbashed from OT designs.

Why, as a designer would you even go there? Even considering it is bad process

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

"BB-8" which became popular appeared in "Star Wars / Awakening of Force" is three-dimensionalized with a large model of 1/2 scale! It is!

http://www.taghobby.com/archives/163653

ba019.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back