Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

It's weird that on my phone the soles look slightly yellowish and on my pc there seem clear.

The updated lights look better on the photos too.
Colour temp of the PC screen must be higher than the phone. The soles will be yellowish.
98349e2feaf8c22a40e7e41036d68065.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This was when I decided to die mine using RIT liquid dye.

Nice, I didn't see your post (if you posted it) about using the RIT liquid. All I have seen were folks using the powder and mixing it. Which dye did you use (color)? Any special steps you took or basically the same as everyone else is using?

Nice, I didn't see your post (if you posted it) about using the RIT liquid. All I have seen were folks using the powder and mixing it. Which dye did you use (color)? Any special steps you took or basically the same as everyone else is using?
These are the products I have used.
The RIT dye is already a liquid and I found the best result came from heating up thr dye. In fact I actually boiled the dye in a small pot on the stove. It just seemed to bite into the rubber better than if the dye was at room temperature. I applied the dye with a small paint brush like used on models.

The clear nail polish is used to make the bubbles clear. Clearing the bubble helps make the lights in the bubble more defined.

Lastly is the water resisting spray I have used and it has worked with heavy rsin.
59b47962c31bbd2c6769bfab0500f9ae.jpg

I seem to have to have pulled a few of my V3 videos. Here are the videos showing the application of the water repelling agent and the water test.

Notice how blue my soles are in the video. As I predicted, the dye is really a band aid solution and will need to be reapplied from time to time. The blue has faded quite considerably to what now looks like a clear (side part anyway) rubber sole, not the blue sole it is in the video. I am kind of wanting to re-dye them, but like the way my wear pair now looks closer to the movie shoe, especially now that the stiff uppers are starting to slump. When I replaced the failed electronics with 3M reflective tape, I also painted the area around the EL (under the clear parts) with white to better replicate the look of the movie shoe.

The dye also seems to have faded off the display pair. That pair never sees light of day as they live in my home cinema which has total light control (no windows and black and grey colours). So maybe the dye has rubbed off from handling? I don't know. Right now, the level of blue on those soles are what I imagine a pair of 2011 MAGs to look like.

Because they are so minty, they deserve blueish soles. The wear pair are just really (expensive) kickers now, so I am not too fussed. Once my clear replacement parts are done, the original rubber will be coming off thrown out or at least thrown in the original box.

Last edited by a moderator:
cavx regarding the Dye. You really should invest in some Seaglow. It lets the Dye penetrate the rubber and sink in. Both my pairs that I dyed (before yours) have retained the blue tint. I believe your Dye (without The Seaglow) will only be superficial and on the surface.

The menu at the top where you write a comment, you should see a little picture frame, click on that and it lets u add pics

- - - Updated - - -

Out of interest how much did you pay for them?

I paid $499 for them. I didn't know about discount codes etc when I ordered them. But hey they are nice looking mags!

Woah, woah, woah.... they made men's ones too:lol

Sadly, the men’s styles are close, but not a 100% match to the on screen jeans. MJF was a tiny guy back then. I’m bigger than he was (not by much) and I can just squeeze into the largest pair of accurate women’s jeans.

I’ve been meaning to post a lengthy post about my time spent investigating these jeans. There is a companion style for men that is like 95% accurate it just misses some detailing on the butt. (I can sadly say ive stared at MJF’s butt more than any other human alive :lol )

I’ve been meaning to post a lengthy post about my time spent investigating these jeans. There is a companion style for men that is like 95% accurate it just misses some detailing on the butt. (I can sadly say ive stared at MJF’s butt more than any other human alive :lol )

I'd definitely be interested in that post. I've gone down a rabbit hole with the maroon t-shirt myself.

Sadly, the men’s styles are close, but not a 100% match to the on screen jeans. MJF was a tiny guy back then. I’m bigger than he was (not by much) and I can just squeeze into the largest pair of accurate women’s jeans.

I'd love a post about the jeans. I think I've found up to size 34 in 1050 so I assumed the big sizes were men's and the smaller ones were for women. Honestly, if the jeans were MJFs because they didn't have time for a new wardrobe, I don't see him wearing women's jeans:lol what's the men's companion style? 1075? They have the 2 front buttons and like a front dart... I too have been investigating the jeans.

@cavx regarding the Dye. You really should invest in some Seaglow. It lets the Dye penetrate the rubber and sink in. Both my pairs that I dyed (before yours) have retained the blue tint. I believe your Dye (without The Seaglow) will only be superficial and on the surface.

All dye will be superficial because the rubber is not exactly porous. The dye will never reach the centre of the cross section, unlike pigmenting the rubber, prior to pouring the parts which allows the colour in all the way to the core. What Seaglow does is rough the surface (way smaller than the eye can see or hand can feel) similar to acetone so the dye can bite in better. Maybe wiping the shoes with acetone prior to dying may help. Anyway, my problem with using Seaglow is that for it to work, it needs UV light exposure and no way am just leaving these shoes in the sun. So whilst UV light enhances once part, it is degrading the rest of the shoe. A UV light would be better but also fairly dependent on timing applications to ensure even exposure. Re-dying is not a hard task to redo if it really once every 6 months and really only takes 20min or so to do. I look at it like preventive maintenance for the shoes.

I spoke to David. He is gonna change my order from the us9.5 to the us10. He will send me QC pics tomorrow.

I'm sure they will fit perfect as my other Nike's are us10/uk9.

I spoke to David. He is gonna change my order from the us9.5 to the us10. He will send me QC pics tomorrow.

I'm sure they will fit perfect as my other Nike's are us10/uk9.

Good to hear. Funny, I've had mine since they first came out and I still haven't tried them on.

great videos, thank you for your time and input. I will for sure be seeking out the fabric spray. I may just wait on clears for the soles..........but then again if I am going to change them when/if clears come available I guess I may as well dye the ones I have now.

Thanks again.

Did anyone on here pay by PayPal, just want to make sure I am buying from the right person, they sent me a email address to send the money to which is roo_matt@hotmail.com is this correct?
thanks
Tristan

STOP!
Never seen that email before. David's email is not roo_matt @ anything. I am pretty sure it is zhilongtrade@hotmail.com

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back