TOTS Myers Mask question

sztriki

Sr Member
It's probably a really noob question, but couldn't find a definitive answer.
I'm considering buying one of the TOTS masks, unfortunately can't afford a custom one. My aim would be the H1 mask. I'm no expert by any means, can tell the different movies masks from each other but that's about it. From what I understand TOTS doesn't have the licence for an H1 mask. However there's various H2 versions and if I understand well some of these versions are basically the H1 masks with some tweaks to make it legal. It also doesn't help that the H1 and H2 masks were the same prop and only looked different due to the actors heads.
First of all they have their H2 deluxe mask. That one's eyeholes seem to be shaped differently to all other H2 masks and has a sort of weathered-looking finish.
There's also the Elrod Mask...which according to the blurb is how the mask looked when Myers stole the knife, even though there was supposed to be just one mask in the movie, right? Also eyeholes are different to the H2 Deluxe. Was that basically their H1 mask in disguise?
Then there's the Hospital Mask...which is supposedly based on a single photo, looks sleeker to me and again eyeholes are more similar to the Elrod mask. Again AFAIK there was one mask used through the film, unlike say H20.
Last, the Ben Tramer mask which I always thought was just a sneaky way of creating an H1 mask sculpt with fair hair and a different finish.
So anyone who could clarify the deal with all these variations of the supposedly one mask (bar the Tramer)?

I always thought the Elrod mask was closest to the original. The Tramer and Elrod I thint are from the same sculpt. The Elrod looks nothing like the mask used in the Elrod scene in H2, but more like an H1.

I always thought the Elrod mask was closest to the original. The Tramer and Elrod I thint are from the same sculpt. The Elrod looks nothing like the mask used in the Elrod scene in H2, but more like an H1.
Yea agreed, the finish is pretty bland on the Elrod but looks like H1 in its sculpt. Just managed to dig up some info on the "hospital mask". Apparently it was based on a single photo that later ended up to be the source of the mask on the Halloween 4 poster. It's really interesting that there are several versions exist solely based on a single mask.

It’s also really easy to upgrade the paint. I just used some charcoal effect makeup from ben nye. I also rehaired it after this shot.
BC887CDB-C52C-4858-AF60-B30068C59EFA.png

One thing to note with Elrod is its apparently small, however the original mask I believe was fairly small as well. A lot of people online talk about how it’s a small mask so just figured it’s worth mentioning.

It’s also really easy to upgrade the paint. I just used some charcoal effect makeup from ben nye. I also rehaired it after this shot.
That looks a lot better, the stock one looked a bit too sterile. I guess that's something I'll have to learn too if I aim to get one and improve on it as I never worked with latex masks.

One thing to note with Elrod is its apparently small, however the original mask I believe was fairly small as well. A lot of people online talk about how it’s a small mask so just figured it’s worth mentioning.
Thanks, I think I read it somewhere. It would be a display piece so comfort would not really be an issue (although let's be honest we'd all wear it at some point if we had one).
The other thing I'm not 100% sold on with the Elrod is the shape of the eyeholes, but can't exactly put a finger on why. For some reason the eyes of the H2 Deluxe looks closer to the original H1 to me but I guess it very much depends on how the mask stretches on the wearer's face.

You are correct in how the masks fit differently on each person. And I definitely see what you mean about the eyeholes. I’ve actually been considering getting an Elrod myself and looking into converting it and the eyeholes were one of the first things I noticed. I think, though I’m not sure, if you cut both eyeholes slightly more toward the nose and make them just slightly wider, it would fix that issue.

The Elrod is based on the H1 look of the mask. It was originally to be TOTS' H1 mask had they gotten the license for it, but when they didn't TOTS decided to make it their H2 'opening scene" mask, aka the mask as it appears in the opening of H2... which is also the ending of H1.

It's really interesting that there are several versions exist solely based on a single mask.
I've been collecting Myers masks for close to 10 years now.
WdQA8Wz.gif

The Elrod is based on the H1 look of the mask. It was originally to be TOTS' H1 mask had they gotten the license for it, but when they didn't TOTS decided to make it their H2 'opening scene" mask, aka the mask as it appears in the opening of H2... which is also the ending of H1.

I've been collecting Myers masks for close to 10 years now.
https://i.imgur.com/WdQA8Wz.gif
Thanks, that clarifies it. I also found out that they are based on Night Owl's Psycho and Lunatic masks respectively, although I haven't known any of these as I'm not knowledgeable about the Myers business yet, but picking up things gradually I guess. The Elrod looks really good on a lot of YT review vids, I guess it's just the stock photos that don't do justice to it. The Hospital one somehow really screams classic Myers to me but probably because some features are exaggerated. I still remember when I started getting familiar with the subtleties of the Vader mask and how it all opened up and how much more difficult it became to pick just one version from just one supplier.

Most of TOTS Myers masks are based on NightOwl's work. Justin Mabry, one of the people who work as a sculptor for the company, was good friends with Zephro even before TOTS was founded and owns NightOwl Productions. He's also contributed his H6 mold for the TOTS H6 mask, his "Maniac" mold for their Hospital mask, and his Shat mold for their Kirk mask. The Shat is one of the best Myers replicas out there if properly converted. It's called the Creep in its converted form.
snCbOxn.jpg

I've own the Psycho, too. It's a great mask. I sometimes regret selling mine, but I needed the money. Whichever you get, look up Rowland Kelly on Facebook once you get it. The guy is a friend, does outstanding refinishing on TOTS Myers masks. He'll make it look like a Justin Mabry original.

Most of TOTS Myers masks are based on NightOwl's work. Justin Mabry, one of the people who work as a sculptor for the company, was good friends with Zephro even before TOTS was founded and owns NightOwl Productions. He's also contributed his H6 mold for the TOTS H6 mask, his "Maniac" mold for their Hospital mask, and his Shat mold for their Kirk mask. The Shat is one of the best Myers replicas out there if properly converted. It's called the Creep in its converted form.
View attachment 830067

I've own the Psycho, too. It's a great mask. I sometimes regret selling mine, but I needed the money. Whichever you get, look up Rowland Kelly on Facebook once you get it. The guy is a friend, does outstanding refinishing on TOTS Myers masks. He'll make it look like a Justin Mabry original.
God that looks great! I was considering the TOTS Kirk and converting but I never worked with latex or rehaired anything so as much as I like DIY and learning on the job I’d probs screw it up. Thanks for the tip, I’ll follow it up if I get to get a mask, they seem to be out of stock with the UK retailer.

The Kirk is pretty good too. A little rough around the edges, but once given a trim and the excess hair brushed out, it's a diamond!
xFjtWZQ.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back