ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Nice to see you posting again, Vanitas!

I'd recommend checking out Matty Matt's ESB DL-44 Accurized Denix thread:
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240719&page=8&highlight=matty+matt

I consulted his thread a lot when accurizing my Denix for my GK build ... check that out if you're inclined!
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=216859

Boba Debt has been running a Denix accurization service for the last few years or so, where he batch-sends them off to a machinist to have the side pockets milled deeper, extractor milled, etc., though I believe this last run was his final one.

Field Marshall is currently offering some accurized Denix's on his website with some pretty cool features ... an actual removable extractor plate among them!
http://www.warmachinepaintball.com/...machined-stardard-denix-replica-noncutbarrel/

There have also been a few more recent Denix builds that have taken things to new extremes, though I can't seem to find them right now! Serial numbers stamped in, vintage grips fitted ... very impressive!

Hope that helps.

MB
You must mean the magazine well plate, not the extractor. The extractor is on top of the bolt and it's what pulls spent shells from the chamber as it cycles.

I think Field Marshall's extractor detail is just a milled out shape of the extractor, but correct me if I'm wrong!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Whoops, I mis-spoke ... yes, I meant the mag well plate! His extractor is just a milled detail, like Boba Debt's I believe. Thanks, Dann!

You must mean the magazine well plate, not the extractor. The extractor is on top of the bolt and it's what pulls spent shells from the chamber as it cycles.

I think Field Marshall's extractor detail is just a milled out shape of the extractor, but correct me if I'm wrong!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

^^

That is much closer to the real grooves. The Denix and MGC are not accurate.

BTW...The bolt grooves are not correct either and can be re-filed to be closer to a real Mauser.

So I'm in the market for a FieldMarshal/Warmachine Hero kit, what would you recommend for painting/bluing/weathering as someone who has never worked with metal before?

So I'm in the market for a FieldMarshal/Warmachine Hero kit, what would you recommend for painting/bluing/weathering as someone who has never worked with metal before?

I dust on Rustoleum High Heat Grill paint

before that I hold some of the parts over a stove and rub on Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Tons of people do stuff like this on here!

Finally knocked out the two rail port holes behind the scallops; took me a solid minute to file them in after taking some measurements from my MR. Currently working on cleaning up the overall sharpness of the upper receiver's soft areas. The lower is nearly complete; most of the lines have been scribed, the safety has been beaten into submission and the hammer has been reshaped. I only need to fix the trigger. I'll also probably widen the dimensions of the upper receiver's scallops a bit with some drum sanders and narrow the hexagonal area that joins the barrel some more; the Denix's are too fat.

20180607_213003.jpg
(Sorry for terrible image quality.)

And glad to be back Mastah; real life just ended up getting in my way and forced me to take a longer than wanted hiatus from the propmakers circle; but I'm back and aiming to stay. :)

Just the other day I was reading the forum on Home Gun Smith and a guy there was doing repair work on a C96 Mauser. He was a little sketchy on some dimensions so
another member downloaded some solid model files. The files included the upper with the barrel ,the locking block, the lower and a few other solid models I haven"t looked
at yet. He also included some drawings and dimensions of the hammer,safety ,firing pin and a few other parts.
This is great because now I can try machining an accurate model , I made some uppers modeled after a Denix but they weren't to the dimensions of the real thing. I'm looking
forward to CAMing a few parts and then seeing if I can machine them. Should be fun.

Some more progress on my old Denix. Cleaned up the underside of the upper receiver where it meets the lower; looks much cleaner now.

20180612_211939.jpg

Also sharpened the hexagonal area behind the barrel to more closely match a real Mauser's dimensions (and also just clean it up; the Denix is just too soft as-is). Also still playing around with the ejection port scallops; will be correcting them once I find my Drum Sander.

20180612_212009.jpg

Gotta go sweep up all the zamac shavings now. :/

Can I ask how you got the slide out of the reciver, I have a Denix project on the go to make a DL 44 as accurate as I can, I been shaping the thing for days now but I can't see how that section comes out?

Can I ask how you got the slide out of the reciver, I have a Denix project on the go to make a DL 44 as accurate as I can, I been shaping the thing for days now but I can't see how that section comes out?

I watched Bobadebts video on the old ROTJ blaster run thread

The firing pin comes out first - just grab it with pliers

the moveable nub on the side keeps the bolt in - in a way - by holding the inner spring forwards.

Oops... I filed the pin down already, it's now flat as a pancake...
Thanks for getting back to me anyway, I will add mine to this collection when it's complete

Oops... I filed the pin down already, it's now flat as a pancake...
Thanks for getting back to me anyway, I will add mine to this collection when it's complete

I did this, too, but while working on mine again, I needed to disassemble this. What I did was essentially cut a vertical slot across the back of the pin and bolt deep enough to get something under the pin's head and pry it out. Cleaned up the cut afterwards to make it look like the pin is a slothead, and the cuts behind it in the bolt like...well, to not look so messy.

An actual Mauser has a similar detail, I think, and mine's just a slightly underwhelming imitation of it.

^^ Ha... Nice find. Looks better than I remember!

Lots of re-sculpting on that sucker! I remember I even soldiered a quarter round fillet on top of the rails to make it a little better. Not easy! ; )

Still have it. Finished it with my nephew after I got the MGC which I went overboard on as well!

fun.

Still have to finish my TFA version!

Last edited:
Just remembered...
I actually cut down the top edge of the lower receiver to allow the upper receiver to sit a little lower. It does help get the frame a bit more in proportion to the real c96.

The ejection port needed a bit of work as well as the mag well bottom chop!

...waht was I thinking! ;)

Just remembered...
I actually cut down the top edge of the lower receiver to allow the upper receiver to sit a little lower. It does help get the frame a bit more in proportion to the real c96.

The ejection port needed a bit of work as well as the mag well bottom chop!

...waht was I thinking! ;)

Yeah; I'd love to try and lower it on mine too, but knowing me I'd probably fux it up and have to throw it away (again). lol I'll probably end up layering the upper receiver with scrap aluminium sheet and blending it to create the recess on the bottom of the barrel, like how jheilman did here.

I'm also working on the ejection port scallops using drum sanders to get the angle of the curves to better match a real c96 too; the denix's are way too small in diameter and protrude too highly.

Also shaving down the back of the upper receiver where the chunk of the bolt hits it to eliminate the gap between the front of the bolt and the back of the hexagonal area behind the barrel.

20180616_2303361.jpg
^ The offending ports in question - they stick up to high (low when upright), forcing the bolt to angle downwards.

20180616_230353.jpg
^ How the bolt normally sits on a Denix (note the partially modified scallops and slightly raised ports).

20180616_230423.jpg
^ How the bolt SHOULD sit (old modified Denix upper receiver that I can't use - note the completed scallops).

20180616_230449.jpg
^ The gap between the bolt and the upper receiver's ejection port front (slightly closed already).

I'm gonna need some new files soon. T-T

Last edited:
Nice. ^^

All that grinding and tile work makes for a much more pleasing looking blaster

I actually ground slots deeper down in those areas that you circled in red to allow the lower receiver ribs to seat deeper. You do have to modify some areas to allow reconnection of the upper and lower The pinholes need to move or you can attach it as below.

I modified be under barrel screw attachment area to sit more flush and hide the screw a bit better and look more like a real Mauser and added a tab under the bolt in the ejection port for a screw to attach the upper and lower more securely.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back