ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Jediwannabe, please post pics along with the frown and underside so that I can decide what I do with my not yet shipped order! :-/
Deciding what to do with a not yet shipped order based only on a possibly defective one doesn't seem like a good idea. I would look at photos from others as well to see if they look the same or not.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Jediwannabe, please post pics along with the frown and underside so that I can decide what I do with my not yet shipped order! :-/

Here are the pics you requested. It seems that the misshaped helmet liner is what was forcing my helmet to have an odd warp. I removed the liner and the shape looks more symmetrical. I'm not sure if the symmetry will look bad again when I reinstall the liner and get the missing screw. It might just need to be exchanged for a new one.

IMG_0742.jpgIMG_0751.jpgIMG_0750.jpgIMG_0749.jpgIMG_0748.jpgIMG_0747.jpgIMG_0745.jpgIMG_0744.jpgIMG_0743.jpgIMG_0753.jpg

Er those are the things that makes the helmet accurate (not sure about the screw but the warped head, material and the other stuff should be there) just like the stormtrooper buckets.

Er those are the things that makes the helmet accurate (not sure about the screw but the warped head, material and the other stuff should be there) just like the stormtrooper buckets.

Yeah, no. The helmet liner was pulling the head to one side and the corners of the points on the forehead weren't lining up. I've seen Star Wars a few times and the TIE Pilots never looked like that.

Also, my understanding is that they didn't have helmet liners in the original helmets. They had thick padding. So when the helmet liners warp the shape of the helmet, it is not accurate.

Yeah, no. The helmet liner was pulling the head to one side and the corners of the points on the forehead weren't lining up. I've seen Star Wars a few times and the TIE Pilots never looked like that.

Also, my understanding is that they didn't have helmet liners in the original helmets. They had thick padding. So when the helmet liners warp the shape of the helmet, it is not accurate.

I'm so tired of the "it makes it accurate" excuse. Are they selling Trooper Armor with tape all over it? If you order the Sabine helmet or if they make clone trooper helmets, will they send you a thumb drive with a CGI file on it because it is screen accurate?

Regardless of whether or not that is a true statement...

My understanding (and I admit it could be wrong) of their Star Wars license is that they make costuming pieces not prop/costume replicas like eFx's license.

I think that your basic star wars enthusiast who may want a costume is not going to know the little insight like misshapen or asymmetrical. They want costumes that look like what they interpret on from the film. If Anovos does chose to make thinks wonky on purpose, they need to to state that as a detail in their description so the customer knows what they are getting.

In the past, my main grievance with Anovos has been with their idiotic pre-ordering so early in the product's develop timeline and their technique of arriving at ETA dates which I have to believe consist of throwing a dart at a calendar. However it has never been about the quality of their items. I admit, I do not have a lot of their items. I have the Enterprise ball cap, the Solo rig (which took almost 3 years to complete and 4 different shipments to get all the components to me) and the BSG card deck (which I no longer own and did not order directly from them).

I have been open to new purchases under conditional terms. Purchase from retailers who do not charge till shipped and without ridiculous s/h fees. If I do buy directly from Anovos, it would be an item that is in stock only. My current wants are Merrick's X-Wing Helmet, Sabine's Helmet, and the Inferno TIE Helmet. But now with the recent insight to the latest TIE helmet offering, i am concerned about the Inferno.

I happen to own a lot of Anovos items and it has been very clear from the beginning that Anovos focus is on costumes rather than high end replicas. Generally, I've been very happy with the products...and patient with the wait times. I own the AT-AT helmet, which is very similar to the TIE Pilot, and it doesn't feel as flimsy. I own a number of the other ABS helmets including multiple ANH style troopers and Rey's Salvaged X-Wing and they also feel pretty sturdy and don't share the same issues.

My entrance into a discussion of accuracy was to debate a statement that my helmet's defects were accurate asymmetrical features when, in fact, I pointed out that the helmet was being forced into an odd shape by (a missing screw and a) hardhat liner...which wasn't included in the original helmets.

Yes Anovos does costumes and does not have a prop replica license. But I tell ya, their Premier helmets which they market as premier costume pieces are very much prop replica quality and built minus a fancy stand and plaque

The Tie helmet looks very nice jediwannabe.But I have no experience with helmet liners.;)
I think the OT stuff from Anovos is not so accurate...there are better sources for Troopers and Tie´s out there.And also for Vader.
But thats only me own taste.

The Anovos TFA props are really good and accurate.I have only the Kylo Ren and its great.

If Anovos does chose to make thinks wonky on purpose, they need to to state that as a detail in their description so the customer knows what they are getting.

Anovos website states on some of their helmets "This accessory includes details recreated from 3D scans, measurements, and reference of original production assets sourced from the Lucasfilm Archives." so there ya go. We've seen time and time again someone come on the site and complain about a helmet and the helmet is fine.

If that is not the case for this particular helmet, sorry, you may have got a defective one. Send it back and get another. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Anovos does costumes and does not have a prop replica license. But I tell ya, their Premier helmets which they market as premier costume pieces are very much prop replica quality and built minus a fancy stand and plaque

Sure they are and the standard line should be nice display pieces as well. I not much for wearing costumes but I like to collect/build them and especially the helmets. So my main reason for purchasing would be display not wearing. But you would expect a piece made for costuming to not be flimsy. I also believe (and this is just my opinion) costumes should be made to look like what we perceive on screen, leave the flaws to the prop replica licenses who want to offer that specific fan niche.

Was the previously released standard Tie helmet flimsy and misshaped by the liner as this new offering. I am trying to predict what the Inferno might be like.

My hopes is that since I have not heard complains of the Rey scavenger X-Wing helmet, that the Merrick helmet will be okay.

Not sure what to expect with the Sabine helmet at this point.

I've got some super detailed photos, up close with some measurements, of the screen used TLJ. I have my own Anovos Poe Black Squad helmet on the way. From the looks of things, the Anovos TFA helmet (sans visor) looks spot on. Would love to see if someone could begin a run on TLJ visors to mod the Anovos helmet. PM me if you want more photos.

P1099387.JPGP1099407.JPG

To add one more thought, there are some glaring fixes that need to take place for the Anovos helmet to be accurate. The paint job for one needs to be completely re-done. And there are just some details that need to be reworked. But (and I hope I'm right) - their TFA poe helmet is pretty spot on in terms of shape. Even if converted to TLJ...

I too have received the shipping notice for the TIE variant. I am excited. I bought this (3 years ago) with the intention to use it as a costume piece, as it is advertised. I hope it is truly of costuming quality. I also have an RS helmet coming. I am looking forward to comparing the two.

Sure they are and the standard line should be nice display pieces as well. I not much for wearing costumes but I like to collect/build them and especially the helmets. So my main reason for purchasing would be display not wearing. But you would expect a piece made for costuming to not be flimsy. I also believe (and this is just my opinion) costumes should be made to look like what we perceive on screen, leave the flaws to the prop replica licenses who want to offer that specific fan niche.

Was the previously released standard Tie helmet flimsy and misshaped by the liner as this new offering. I am trying to predict what the Inferno might be like.

My hopes is that since I have not heard complains of the Rey scavenger X-Wing helmet, that the Merrick helmet will be okay.

Not sure what to expect with the Sabine helmet at this point.
I do have the the black garden variety Tie. Good thing mine didn't have any warping. It looks excellent displayed. Made light and perfect for trooping. Wished they made it fibreglass (for my prop collecting purpose) but I am pretty darn sure it will weight a ton. Probably as much if not more than Vader.

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

If Anovos does chose to make thinks wonky on purpose, they need to to state that as a detail in their description so the customer knows what they are getting.

Distinctive asymmetry, an artifact of the hand-sculpted screen-used pieces created for the original production of 1977’s STAR WARS™ EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE, with replicated hand-painted style decoration

https://www.anovos.com/collections/...r-wars-imperial-stormtrooper-helmet-accessory

Last edited by a moderator:

That's great they did that but they should eleborate more on what that means as I heard that many were surprised by what they got. But still good they noted something.

However my remark was in regard to the remark about the Lt O Tie helmet which makes no such note in the item's description. Since the wonkiness is not a listed detail and since it is only apparent with the liner installed, it would appear to be a quality issue.

My question at at this point: is this a one-off problem are all Lt O or any of the other TIE helmets having this issue?

Bad news.... just received this.

First Order Stormtrooper Standard Kit - Updates

Current Shipping Estimate: Winter 2017 (December 22 - March 20)

Latest Update: December 4th, 2017

We previously anticipated this kit to be available for a Fall 2017 delivery. However, it was determined that this is unfortunately not the case. This season our production team has been working closely with our manufacturers on remaking the armor molds in steel, as well as beginning preliminary test pulls with these updated steel molds. While the test pulls initiated thus far have proven the updates have successfully eliminated previous imperfections, we are still hard at work to complete the remaining test pulls. Thus, the armor pieces for this kit remain in the pre-production stage. In reviewing these details, we must update our shipping estimate to Winter 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I'm not trying to sound like an old man yelling at clouds, but I think we can definitely say that the Anovos live chat folks should never be trusted to provide any sort of realistic update regarding item status. :) I'm not even mad, just more disappointed in myself for getting my hopes up :p

They're as good as the info they're given. I blame folks closer to production and shipping for being overly optimistic. As with Scotty, I tend to multiply their estimates by a factor of four. *heh*

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back