The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Has anyone played Cuphead? Don't really care much for newer games but this one really caught my attention. Will be buying it wednesday to play at gamenights (we've been playing Contra and other older games, so this fits the bill)!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following it because I love 30s cartoons and they've NAILED it.

However, it looks REALLY frustrating to play. I think it would stress me out. The fun part, for me, is the design and what the bosses do....which I can enjoy by watching play-thrus on YouTube.

I only play platform games if I can Game Genie my way through it, basically. I have no interest in slamming my head against the wall that is the average platformer's difficulty.

Same here. My nephew got some Donkey Kong games for Wii several years back and it was too hard for him at the time, but he wanted to watch me play through it. I got to a certain point where it was so freaking hard I just gave up. I grew up with NES games that you couldn't hardly save, and it was still too hard. That's not fun to me.

I'm the same way. I grew up on the incredibly hard games, especially in arcades, which were just quarter-eaters and I could play them, but today, I'm just way too old for that stuff. Games are supposed to be fun, not frustrating and there are a lot of games out there that are just frustrating. Cuphead looks great, but it's an old-school platformer and I just don't tolerate those anymore. Even my kids aren't interested in that kind of thing. And if I'm not having fun, I'm not playing, so... yeah... no thanks.

Ugh, Tiny Metal delayed until December 21st.

In other news, don't know if there are any fans of Sega's military strategy Valkyria Chronicles games, but Sega just made the year for fans of the seemingly forgotten series and announced Valkyria Chronicles 4 is not only in development but is 90% complete and will be arriving to all platforms in the Spring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_otGpDTvbM

And if you haven't played the series before, the first game was remastered and released to PC and PS4 in 2016, while parts two and three were only ever released on the PSP.
Remastered trailer for the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXJyXaD_Izw

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL_VFvVD9AI

[/URL]

I'm the same way. I grew up on the incredibly hard games, especially in arcades, which were just quarter-eaters and I could play them, but today, I'm just way too old for that stuff. Games are supposed to be fun, not frustrating and there are a lot of games out there that are just frustrating. Cuphead looks great, but it's an old-school platformer and I just don't tolerate those anymore. Even my kids aren't interested in that kind of thing. And if I'm not having fun, I'm not playing, so... yeah... no thanks.

I'm only 40, I'm not old! The games are too hard! :lol ;)

I'm only 40, I'm not old! The games are too hard! :lol ;)

I'm older than you are and I don't think they're that hard, especially when you compare them to things like Ikaruga and the original Contra and things like that, but difficulty has become more frustrating than fun these days and I don't play games to be frustrated, I play them to be entertained. I honestly don't want anything that hard. I want something that I will enjoy playing until it's done, then I can go play something else.

I'm older than you are and I don't think they're that hard, especially when you compare them to things like Ikaruga and the original Contra and things like that, but difficulty has become more frustrating than fun these days and I don't play games to be frustrated, I play them to be entertained. I honestly don't want anything that hard. I want something that I will enjoy playing until it's done, then I can go play something else.

This is where I come out anymore. With the exception of a few online shooters, I don't play games to brag about difficulty. I play them for fun escapism in the limited free time I have. This is why I gave up on Dark Souls after about 6-8 hours. Screw that game. It's hard for the sake of being hard. Games like that, I have zero desire to play. Unless, of course, I can go into god mode and just screw around. That's fun for me sometimes, and it's how I tend to approach COD singleplayer games (I never play multiplayer in COD).

Outside of that, I tend to play turn based strategy or RPG games where I'm not having to fight the game itself just to enjoy myself.

This is where I come out anymore. With the exception of a few online shooters, I don't play games to brag about difficulty. I play them for fun escapism in the limited free time I have. This is why I gave up on Dark Souls after about 6-8 hours. Screw that game. It's hard for the sake of being hard. Games like that, I have zero desire to play. Unless, of course, I can go into god mode and just screw around. That's fun for me sometimes, and it's how I tend to approach COD singleplayer games (I never play multiplayer in COD).

Outside of that, I tend to play turn based strategy or RPG games where I'm not having to fight the game itself just to enjoy myself.

Shooters are my thing, that's primarily what I play and what I enjoy. I absolutely detest multiplayer games and will never, ever engage in them. I find multiplayer, regardless of the game, to be about as toxic as you can get. I'm not there to challenge my skills, I'm there to have a good time in a casual manner and get through the game and go find another one. So I'm playing on normal or below difficulty. And sure, I've played God Mode before, mostly on replays where I just want to screw around, or with mods that make it nearly impossible to kill me. The last playthrough of Fallout 4, I had mods on from the start, I walked out of Vault 111 with X01 power armor and a gun that kills anything, including Mirelurk Queens and Deathclaws in one shot. Why? Because I already beat the game the regular way. It's not fun to do it all over again. Now sure, in a couple of years, I might go back and replay from the start clean, after I've forgotten how the game goes, but not right now.

I hate PvP. I'm really getting to hate PvE. I just want to have fun and shooting things for the sake of shooting them in an entertaining setting is fun. Whether they can shoot back is entirely irrelevant to me.

Walked past an open display at the local Walmart. All the video games were gone except for a healthy shelf full of SW Battlefront II!

Walked past an open display at the local Walmart. All the video games were gone except for a healthy shelf full of SW Battlefront II!

And from what news sites are reporting, Disney higher ups have been making some tersely worded phone calls to EA higher ups. They are not impressed at all by the current situation with the game and the potential damage to the brand. EA's stock has taken quite a hit from this as well. This is definitely going to make publishers think long and hard about how they handle things like this in the future.

which just proves people are emotional and put in 0 effort researching anything. They just need to feel like they're a part of something and jump on the bandwagon.. I'll give vegas odds all those games that were gone were the current releases like COD: WWII and NBA18K etc.... all full of RNG micro transactions you can buy with money and in the case of NBA18K, straight up P2W. All the stuff gamers were apparently outraged about in SWBFII. Even the current AC game, while doesn't have Crates you can buy with real money, still contains RNG crates you buy with ingame money you earn.

There's a big difference between what you can buy and what it does in the game. I don't care if people can buy things in the game, I just don't want those things to give someone an unfair advantage. If someone put the time in and unlock something, then that's fine if they are better. I just don't want Joe Blow buying the game and five minutes later having everything unlocked. I also don't have a problem if they do what Battlefield 3 or 4 (I forgot which) where after the game was out for a year they started allowing people to buy some or all of the upgrades. The people who already put the time in had the rank to have those unlocks so by then it didn't make any difference and let new people get into the game on a fairer playing field.

which just proves people are emotional and put in 0 effort researching anything. They just need to feel like they're a part of something and jump on the bandwagon.. I'll give vegas odds all those games that were gone were the current releases like COD: WWII and NBA18K etc.... all full of RNG micro transactions you can buy with money and in the case of NBA18K, straight up P2W. All the stuff gamers were apparently outraged about in SWBFII. Even the current AC game, while doesn't have Crates you can buy with real money, still contains RNG crates you buy with ingame money you earn.

And I'm sure most of them were bought by well-meaning family members buying things for Christmas. That's why stores put slow-selling merchandise on endcaps around Christmas because people buy what they see and it's a way to get rid of things that otherwise don't sell.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back