Firca, from the Dark Crystal

ErelasRyAlcar

Heya folks, with a prequel to The Dark Crystal coming to Netflix, and my son (not a Zelda fan, honest) asking about real ocarinas, I thought I would ask around here.

I've found a non-playing resin replica of a "firca", the name given to Jenn's "double flute", and like most things I seem to try to find, the replica didn't do it for me. Being a former woodwind player (ocarina isn't a woodwind, I know), I do understand it would take quite a bit of luck, or knowledge that I do not have, and probably many iterations to get a firca that would be both screen accurate and playable.

It's comparable to a Greek auloi in chamber shape, I think. Could possibly be played similarly to a double chambered ocarina, maybe. Might even be able to be hand sculpted, then fired. I've heard of dolomite being used in ocarina construction.

Point being, I am interested in doing some more research on my own and was curious if anyone (maybe one of you out there is a genius flute-playing propmaker extraordinaire that loves The Dark Crystal?) had headed down this path of madness before, had advice, or links to resources.

Honestly, it's been so long since I've even been by here, my feelings won't be hurt if I even managed to post in the wrong place and am corrected. Any start is a good start I suppose!

Thanks!

I have a double Ocarina that can play Jen's song. It's not Y shaped but I can see how you could make one that would work. You just need them to be able to play a full scale and be tuned a 5th apart.

Thank you! That is precisely what I wished to hear (no pun intended). The wifes much more technical in her music background than I am (the difference between a violin and a fiddle you might say) so I shall run that bit of info past her and work from there.

A double ocarina, woodwinds were my bag, I have no experience with, but from photos I have taken a look at, the shape seems to indicate a smaller secondary chamber? To my eye it appears to be somnething of a bump on the side of a "regular" ocarina?

Thank you! That is precisely what I wished to hear (no pun intended). The wifes much more technical in her music background than I am (the difference between a violin and a fiddle you might say) so I shall run that bit of info past her and work from there.

A double ocarina, woodwinds were my bag, I have no experience with, but from photos I have taken a look at, the shape seems to indicate a smaller secondary chamber? To my eye it appears to be somnething of a bump on the side of a "regular" ocarina?

Mine is made of wood and is an evenly split chamber. One side is just hollowed out less, leaving less space and the holes are positioned differently.
If you're trying to make it accurate to the movie and do a Y shape, you may run into some problems. I say that because if it's a flute / recorder type shaft, you typically need both hands to play an octave as the narrow chamber requires more holes to give you enough options to play all 8 notes. The reason you can play an octave with this wooden ocarina is that it's more of a rounded chamber than a straight tube, so rather than just go up the pipe for each note, you play finger combinations. You can buy a double recorder and play some harmonies, but you're limited to 4 notes on each one, so you couldn't play the tune.
Definitely not saying it can't be done, I'd LOVE to see it. You'll probably just have to read up and test several options.
Here's a quick video of mine. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back