Spacebobs Power Droid Plans

Yes as I thought is an old terrain water tank, the pic I've had for years is a large tank, not small as I thought. The 25 gallon is right though. Like I said there's prob thousands of these in uk lofts. Just need to keep an eye out :)

Yes as I thought is an old terrain water tank, the pic I've had for years is a large tank, not small as I thought. The 25 gallon is right though. Like I said there's prob thousands of these in uk lofts. Just need to keep an eye out :)
good luck getting into people's lofts :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised that someone hasn't just built a buck and made vacuform versions.

I think the difficulty has been in finding an accurate set of dimensions to make the buck in the first place

I know a few plumbers so I'll ask around :)

I would just be happy to get accurate dimensions.

I like wooden ones just fine because any one can make them, and to me that's the whole point of this thread......
but it would be great to get plans spot on :) really great.

Gonk tub near London

There's a 25 gallon tank for sale right now near London.

(link omitted to abide by rpf rules)

He gives some dimension info:

Dimensions at biggest point:
55cm width +14cm pipes attached (could be removed)
74cm length
50cm height

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gonk tub near London

Hi guys we need to remember rpf rules, no info or links to live sales or auctions,
I believe you can pm each other but no posts for obvious reasons, I could be in negotiations for instance and then the guy gets a bunch of offers...

normal_GNK_tatooine_01.png
It does look an awful lot like this guy...

Re: Gonk tub near London

Hi guys we need to remember rpf rules, no info or links to live sales or auctions,
I believe you can pm each other but no posts for obvious reasons, I could be in negotiations for instance and then the guy gets a bunch of offers...

Oops sorry - I got excited! I've edited the post and omitted the link.
The guy quoted me about $200 to ship it to the US so I'm out on that one!

I'm going to photoshop pics of these tanks over screenshots to see how well they match up.

It's possible that the tanks available in the mid 70s had slightly different dimensions.
But to my eyes these new tanks look spot on.

OSMA 25 vs. GONK

gonkcompare.png
The 25 gallon OSMA cold water tank lines up great, though I had to take out the perspective on the photo for it to match up just right (and how much perspective to take out can be a bit of a guessing game so I could be fooling myself).
If we could get a straight on photo of an OSMA tank from far away - with no skew or perspective - we could make a better judgment. Basically it comes down to how sloped the sides of the tank are and the size of the top compared to the size of the bottom.

The guide lines are the dimensions and side channel height of the original screenshot box.

If anything the side channels on the original gonk seem to be a bit thicker and chunkier?

But in any case - wow!

So that's it, after all this time. And here I've been wrestling with saws and bondo for the last 6 weeks. Feel like I'm close to the Osmaflow tank thanks to Spacebob's dimensions.

IMG_5892.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5892.JPG
    IMG_5892.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_5892.JPG
    IMG_5892.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
While we're at it anyone want to take a stab at what the feet were made from? The part to the right of the toes and below the top look a bit like this planter.
anh-gonk-cut06.jpg IMG_5890.jpg masked planter.jpg

Last edited:
That's looking so good @ChrisN I think that's the most screen accurate sandcrawler gnk in existence :)

can an you post anymore wip pics and give any dimensions you have for the feet?
I'm working on screen accurate feet plans for you all soon.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words.

I hate the foot I've built. It looks too cartoonish compared to the rest of body so I'm considering this a prototype. The film's feet are curved and have small inset details - hard to accomplish with wood for someone lacking in fine carpentry skills. My detail is raised (except the back of the foot) to at least give the impression of what's suppose to be there. Also, I need to make them solid enough to put my foot in and walk around.

As for measurements: The length (heel to toe) is about 31cm and height (bottom to base of black leg collar) is 13cm. Width is 15.25cm. I think I mentioned earlier that I took your plans and roughly increased everything by 10% so that I can just barely fit and wear it as a costume. The foot had to accommodate a size 9" shoe so I can have a little snug control while walking. Even 10% bigger than the real foot I can barely contort my own foot and was experimenting with a removable top so I didn't have to struggle to fit. That's why the earlier pics have pegs in the wood but I think I've eliminated the need for this.

I settled on a 5" (almost 13cm) leg diameter which I had to order off Amazon because 4" and 6" seem to be standard in the local hardware stores.

I'm going to match this foot with another to have something presentable sooner rather than later but eventually I want to completely redo it. To my eye the length looks right compared to the body but it shouldn't be as high...might be a 1/2" -3/4" too big to be totally accurate.

IMG_0098.jpgIMG_0099.jpgIMG_0110 (1).jpgIMG_0111 (1).jpgIMG_0114 (1).jpg

This is a nice stab at the feet that I made for my 1:12 study model ..

webgk09.jpg

I think getting the top curve is an important detail over all.

webgk11.jpg

They may be a tiny bit big, I erred on the side of stability and the toes are more rounded over on the real ones i think.

webgk10.jpg

I have a couple of better pics of the real ones I'll post later :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back