Han Solo in Carbonite: A novice build

Yeah using one piece bought from Stormrider. Will have to fill in couple areas. Biggest being the bottom below his feet. I was considering using flex seal to fill in those areas. Wonder how it would do? It's expensive stuff but might be easier to work with. Not sure.

I also filled in the back of my Han with Great Stuff cracks and gaps foam insulation. Filled in and just trimmed down level. Gives Han great support. Really solid.

- - - Updated - - -

Wish I could post pics

Yeah using one piece bought from Stormrider. Will have to fill in couple areas. Biggest being the bottom below his feet. I was considering using flex seal to fill in those areas. Wonder how it would do? It's expensive stuff but might be easier to work with. Not sure.

I also filled in the back of my Han with Great Stuff cracks and gaps foam insulation. Filled in and just trimmed down level. Gives Han great support. Really solid.

- - - Updated - - -

Wish I could post pics

I have the one piece from Stormrider also. I used roof sealant to fill in the areas when I redid my HIC. First time I used Bondo and after a few years there were gaps between the rubber and the wood.

This is what I used:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-10-1-fl-oz-Waterproofer-Cement-Roof-Sealant/3009268

Hope this helps

What is the consistency and texture compared to Flex seal I wonder? I want to match it as close as possible. Not sure what to use to do that.

What's the consensus on using bondo or wood filler for the screw holes and uneven places?

I had pretty good luck with Bondo to begin with. The only flaws that exist are due to my inexperience with the product at the time. I'm ramping up to build a second HIC in the next year or so and I'll probably go with Evercoat or something along those lines.

Dumb question but looking at paint there are so many choices. I thought about doing a separate primer but Rust-Oleum has paint and primer in one now. Would I be best to do the separate primer then also do paint and primer or would u be safe just doing the primer and paint combo?

Also as far as silver colors there are a few and in sure they have changed some since this. All I'm finding that looks close is titanium silver. Any suggestions?

Also are most of you painting the box and Han different colors? I know the whole deal with depends on which version you want the ESB or ROTJ but I think I like the all silver version better from ROTJ. It looks like it pretty much uniform in color from pics. Any suggestions?

I used one color for everything but gave a dark (not black, never black as there's never true black dirt anywhere) brown wash on Han! I really love the result since I never really understood why there should be 2 colors in the first place! It's a block of carbonite so all is the same material to me!

Of course it's just a matter of preference at this point!

Last edited:
I used different colors for Han and the block. I also did a wash on Han so it's a little darker than the block anyway. I agree with Bigturc that it's personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
In looking at the close ups of Han that people have taken, obviously there is a wash on Han but also the box in the version that is just one solid color. You can see it on the close-ups of the panels that there is a slightly darker wash on the box as well. I like this look. It makes it not look so perfect and pristine. I don't want that perfect and sharp look. I want the weathered look. What paint and how did you do your weathering?

Wash uses a dilluted dark brown color applied and cleaned over your paint. Type wash on the search or on youtube. There’s tons of tutorial out there.

Just don’t use pure black for it as it’s unnatural!

Also noticing my box doesn't quite line up perfectly with the top frame. There is some overhang and some small gaps there. Is that normal? Will filling those in with bondo and sanding fix that or should I try to sand down?

Make sure to properly join with glue and back support. Watch where you place those supports so that they’re not inthe way of your panel backing or top and bottom pockets if you use any.

Once everything is rock solid, use putty like bondo (i used evercoat) to make everything seamless.. use filler primer to fill the mdf material and sand and primer and sand .. repeat!

Also noticing my box doesn't quite line up perfectly with the top frame. There is some overhang and some small gaps there. Is that normal? Will filling those in with bondo and sanding fix that or should I try to sand down?

Don't forget the box is sort of a trapezoid and is narrower at the top and slightly wider on the bottom. It's not perfectly rectangular.
HICmeasurements01.jpgHan_carbonite_schem_01.JPG

Yeah I get all that. When putting it together there was just some imperfections in the matching up with the pieces. It's all is together now but there is a bit of a lip on certain parts of the side where the top frame isnt quite lining up with the sides. Small areas but enough to where I will have to either sand it down which will be hard or I will just bondo it and sand. Some small gaps between top frame and sides I was concerned about.

Also I have been keeping this thing in the garage and it's not temperature controlled. Is that a problem? It's all screwed together now so doesnt looked warped on anything.

I kept in the garage as well for almost a year!

The mdf didn’t warp BUT where I had wood putty screws, it shrank and showed up on the finish in the end. Not sure what I did wrong for that part but you don’t see it anyway after some time! :)

Yeah I get all that. When putting it together there was just some imperfections in the matching up with the pieces. It's all is together now but there is a bit of a lip on certain parts of the side where the top frame isnt quite lining up with the sides. Small areas but enough to where I will have to either sand it down which will be hard or I will just bondo it and sand. Some small gaps between top frame and sides I was concerned about.

I see what you mean now, I misunderstood. I just used a router on all my edges and sanded down any overhang.

Can you show a picture?

I'm pretty sure my box did the same .. the side pieces would be a tad offset (I'd say close to 1/16" from the top part. Router first and bondo fixed that!
FOr sure, don't try to bend them in as it will show when looking at your box from the top or bottom.

Prime sand, prime sand, repeat 8x :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back