Game of Thrones

And the Sand Snake that is Ellaria's daughter(forget her name) because I only saw 2 of the Sand Snakes die in the battle. And I believe it was their 2 bodies Theon saw on the front of the ship. Speaking of Theon it looks as if he is in need of some redemption yet again. Poor Theon.

Clunky writing with that "prince who was promised" line, even if I'm okay with the meaning being open ended. Overall a great episode for me, but man soes Baelish need to be a corpse.

Ghost is alive. Just between the cost of the CGI for giant furry wolves and giant scaly dragons, they're choosing to spend mostly on dragons. Glad they did wrap up the Nymeria story, though. Even if it was pretty sad.

Ghost is alive. Just between the cost of the CGI for giant furry wolves and giant scaly dragons, they're choosing to spend mostly on dragons. Glad they did wrap up the Nymeria story, though. Even if it was pretty sad.

Are we sure that was wrapped up? I'm hoping she shows up again. If not, that was a rather pointless, and expensive, scene to include.

Are we sure that was wrapped up? I'm hoping she shows up again. If not, that was a rather pointless, and expensive, scene to include.

I'm going off what the show creators have said. That was exactly their point for including the scene and also a bit for foreshadowing regarding "the pack" and how sometimes the lone wolf can't really come back once its moved on.

Clunky writing with that "prince who was promised" line, even if I'm okay with the meaning being open ended. Overall a great episode for me, but man soes Baelish need to be a corpse.

The "prince/princess who was promised" bit is actually something from the books, if memory serves. If not the books, then the source material that's made it's way out to the fans. They just wanted to introduce it explicitly in the show. It was a little clunky, but acceptable. I think we're going to see a lot more "let's get to the point" design for this season, given that it's only 7 episodes long. Which is why, instead of showing the journey for Yara's fleet or the iron fleet, you just see it show up and clash and then it's over in a few minutes. Same story with this, instead of teasing it out. Just say it right there in the meeting, and bim bam boom. Done.

Also the same story with Jon heading south. Like, in a normal season, Jon would debate that for like 2-3 episodes, as would Dany and her "small council." This episode, it's just "Should we do this? Yeah, we're doing this." And with Sam's letter. Sam would've spent, like, 2-3 episodes researching the dragonglass thing, then it would've taken a full episode
for his message to reach Jon, and then Jon would've thought about what to do, and so on.

It's an abrupt change of style for the show. The inflection points in the show usually take longer to build up to, but they don't have the time or source material this season. In a way, it almost feels like they're ticking points off on the outline Martin gave them for what happens, without putting all that much between the bullet points. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, either, it's just a real change of pace from what the show has been up to this point.

Solo4114

I think the line felt off to me because Missandei just pops in with an "actually its..." And the idea of a prophecy having the word "or" in it is kind of funny. Tyrion undercuts the moment with a worthy quip though about it rolling off the tongue. You would think instead of a mistranslation of gender Missandei could have informed them that it really meant "heir"

Last edited by a moderator:
@Solo4114

I think the line felt off to me because Missandei just pops in with an "actually its..." And the idea of a prophecy having the word "or" in it is kind of funny. Tyrion undercuts the moment with a worthy quip though about it rolling off the tongue. You would think instead of a mistranslation of gender Missandei could have informed them that it really meant "heir"

Yeah, that's a good point. "Heir" makes more sense. I just took it as "It's one of those words that's a single word but the direct translation is actually, like, four words in our language."

Like, schaedenfreude doesn't have a direct, single-word translation; it means "joy in other people's sorrow" although the literal translation is, I believe "shadowy joy" or something like that. If you were to explain it to someone, you'd be explaining a concept that's encompassed by the word itself. Same story with whatever the High Valyrian word for "prince/princess/whatever" is.

Euron can sure take a bunch of hits in a fight and still not fall. Snakes fight was a poor let down. I was hoping for more out of their skills than that. Let's just whip a guy around the neck twice. Ok what now..bring him down and hog tie him to win the rodeo. Reek was a total let down as well. I thought he would atleast fight for his sister. I'll take stab in the dark and say Bronn saves the dagger snake hottie.

The lone wolf can come back bigger and badder to lead its own pack.

Like Solo4114 said, the part about the prophecy comes straight from the books. Maester Aemon figures it out on his deathbed, then tells Samwell that he thinks it must be Daenerys and that she must have a maester to advise her. The book is able to go into more detail about the prophecy and why there are no gender specific pronouns in High Valyrian, something having to do with dragons being born neither male or female. The prophecy doesn't actually say and\or. Its just the only way to translate it directly into the Common Tongue.

No, all the books are not out yet. GRRM is notoriously slow when it comes to releasing the the books. Books 1-5 are available. There was talk of of Book 6 THE WINDS OF WINTER coming out this year, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen, and God only knows when the 7th and final book will come out.

How are they filming this stuff if the books haven't even been written yet?

They're writers. They write it. GRRM gave them some important points that he already has mapped out, including how he plans to end it, but basically they're making up their own story. Martin has said even though he gave them certain info, there's no guarantee thats how hes going to end the books. He might change his mind between now and whenever the hell he ends up finishing this thing.

One of the show writers addressed the Ghost issue in twitter. Apparently they shot a scene with Jon and Ghost that didn't make it into the episode.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back