Quasimodo Darth Vader helmet - Version II

bookface

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So Mac pretty much couldn't leave well enough alone with this, and while he was working on the ESB version of Quasimodo he decided that ANH needed a V2. As you can see he also put together the pictures as they're much fancier than I would normally do for everyone! So without further ado, here you go, feel free to leave your thoughts as well!

Armour is a late addition, people have been asking how Quasimodo looked on my armour. Well, here you go. I'll add some more later.

quasimodo-v2-anh-with-bookface-armor-1.jpg

quasimodo-v2-anh-poster-child.jpg

quasimodo-v2-anh-3-perspectives.jpg

quasimodo-v2-anh-2-perspectives.jpg

quasimodo-v2-anh-2-perspectives-2.jpg

Just for fun, here's a comparison shot with V1. The gunmetal looks quite different because I put down a black base to take the shots of the V2, so it's missing the red/brown cast that's being reflected in the V1. Hopefully you can see the main differences, Mac can always chime in if anyone wants details of everything he worked on.

quasimodo-v2-vs-v1-anh.jpg

Here's some more armour pics:

quasimodo-v2-anh-with-bookface-armor-2.jpg

quasimodo-v2-anh-with-bookface-armor-3.jpg

Here are some long awaiting ESB shots, this is the final production version with correct sized mesh and stainless steel tusks.

ESB_Quasi1.jpg ESB_Quasi2.jpg

ESB_Quasi3.jpg ESB_Quasi4.jpg

ESB_Quasi5.jpg ESB_Quasi6.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to hear a breakdown! It looks great to me! Does this also mean the first appearance of the Quasimodo ESB version is nigh?

:love Awesome!

That's a Wonderful helmet mate, thanks bookface, thanks Mac....can't wait to get mine!
My heart beats fast!:)

So Mac pretty much couldn't leave well enough alone with this, and while he was working on the ESB version of Quasimodo he decided that ANH needed a V2. As you can see he also put together the pictures as they're much fancier than I would normally do for everyone! So without further ado, here you go, feel free to leave your thoughts as well!

View attachment 411243

View attachment 411242

View attachment 411241

View attachment 411240

Just for fun, here's a comparison shot with V1. The gunmetal looks quite different because I put down a black base to take the shots of the V2, so it's missing the red/brown cast that's being reflected in the V1. Hopefully you can see the main differences, Mac can always chime in if anyone wants details of everything he worked on.

View attachment 411244

This project was particularly rewarding because we all look at Vader on the big screen, then look at our prop, and then sigh back at the big screen and go, "How the heck do I get my prop to look like THAT?" It has been an 8 year journey trying to achieve the elusive ANH Vader look and walking away from random eBay ripoff castings to sculpting the likeness myself. As much as the shape of how I'd like Vader to be seems to have finally begun coming together, it was bookface who made the dream possible with his meticulous and miraculous paintwork.

For those of you just tuning in with no familiarity with my prior work or Quasimodo V1, you can find a summary of the V1's creation here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=209728&page=2&p=3258447&viewfull=1#post3258447)

quasimodo-v1-v2-left-vs-right_zps78c7506d.jpg

Quasimodo V2 wasn't planned originally - more like random chance out of the quirky thinking of my random brain.

After Quasimodo V1 (ANH) came into being, Bookface asked me for an ESB and ROTJ, and sent me two ANH domes along with a Quasimodo faceplate. It was supposed to be a straightforward modification. Right around when I received them, I also happened to finally get the chance to study the eFX ANH Vader up close. Quite a handsome helmet. However, as much as I liked it, it still left me wanting. Various issues such as dome warpage really bothered me and detracted from "the look", and I realized the eFX could not be the end-point to my ANH collecting that I've wanted all these years.

Incidentally, a few Vader vendors have also been recasting eFX's product and also modifying it to create ESB and ROTJ helmets, and that fundamentally bothered me because it was a dishonest approach and not doing right by the fans. Recasters recast, however, because there is a demand, and clearly the eFX sets a new standard of accuracy, making it an appealing product to illicitly duplicate. Usually such recasting makes my work obsolete, because instead of studying screenshots for years and sculpting something meticulously, which is an effort that can take months or years, one can recast, which can be done in mere hours or days. As I compared Quasi V1 with the eFX, my brain started racing how I could resculpt Quasi to make it look like a dead-ringer for an eFX, and it would not be deterred by the threat of obsolescence.

I was enthused that the Quasimodo V1 structure was optimal to be made dimensionally and structurally similar to the eFX faceplate. So many years have I had only warped condition props to work on that I never had a good candidate to begin with. I made mental notes of 16 areas ranging from very subtle to more obvious, and then went to work. Bear in mind, V1 already had extensive work to 17 areas, so this marries two generations of efforts. My hope was to challenge the community into recognizing that it's possible to create something quite accurate without going the route of recasting an eFX.

efx-ANH-vs-Quasimodo-V2_zps7cea3731.jpg

(Above: WORK IN PROGRESS SHOT. eFX ANH Vader, photo courtesy of SithLord. Right: Quasimodo V2, resculpted from Quasimodo V1. Some modifications are under paint and appear gray or black. Note: two photographic distances.)

And thus, and much to bookface's dismay, a project of a few days turned into months of my O.C.D. taking over. Here's a breakdown

* Domecap
* Head overall
* Eyebrows
* Frown bump
* Eyelids
* Cheeks
* Whiskers
* Sensor pits
* Nose
* Nose bridge
* Mouth Triangle
* Inside of Mouth
* Teeth
* Neck
* Tubes
* Various bumps here and there
* Front profile silhouette
* Mounting system insert (done in the same style saying "By CSMacLaren and Bookface", etc.)

It was incredibly fun to see the results. I kept some of the Quasi V1 tells in the V2 so that with the well-studied Vader experts, they can identify my mask from other helmets.

Unfortunately, all that work on the mask created a new problem - the dome. In the world of Vader, things are measured in millimeters, and small differences somehow end up altering aesthetic balance profoundly. The V1 dome (ANH only) was no longer optimized for the masks's new dimensions. Doh!

The mask's proportions called for a larger front profile for a dome, which would require major work to widen the dome in a way that looked natural. As I had two ANH V1 domes, one became the ANH V2 and the other the ESB. Both are new sculpts over the V1 structure and are actually independent of each other. The ESB dome, which will spawn the ROTJ dome later, is structurally different than my new ANH V2, as its silhouette was based on studying over a hundred HD screenshots and tour helmet photos of ESB and ROTJ.

I hope you guys like it. This will likely be my final contribution of Vader O.T. helmets to the community, and I have given bookface all the masters. Quasi V2 (and the soon to come ESB and ROTJ flavors) also goes with the armor system I developed for bookface that also happens to work very well with the entry-level Darth Ugly. The bookface armor system allows regular guys to wear the armor and exhibit realistic posture, without the typical hunchback deformities or ill fitting as seen by various armor vendors.

Please remember that these efforts go to support a fellow SW fan with disabilities. I am only the sculptor, and not part of the financial or transactional picture. I'm contributing my labor of love and sculpting time to help a gal in need. Thanks for all your encouragement and support. I look forward to seeing your new Quasies! :)

absolutely delicious!!!!:thumbsup

"This will likely be my final contribution of Vader O.T. helmets to the community" wow, may I ask why....you have done so much! I can understand that other matters in life take priority :) but your contributions have been amazing!
Bookface and CS - kudo's!

I would be down for an ESB if your taking names :)

I have a DS 20thC ESB.

And an eFX legend.

STILL LOVE these threads and watching these things take shape.

Jeez Louis you gots skill Mac. (And everyone involved!)

This is just borderline not believable its soo good!!!

The proof is in the pudding. I would suggest this as one of the top options ever for a collector looking for a top notch Vader!!!

Amazing what you have done here.

Just amazing.

Last edited:
absolutely delicious!!!!

"This will likely be my final contribution of Vader O.T. helmets to the community" wow, may I ask why....you have done so much! I can understand that other matters in life take priority but your contributions have been amazing!
Bookface and CS - kudo's!

I would be down for an ESB if your taking names

Ah, don't worry... I'm not vanishing off into the Tatooine sunset any time soon. I still have a few Vader-related projects in various forms on bookface's back-burner that I sculpted from a while back. Hopefully he can get to them in 2015, so I imagine I'll be confering with him on how to best realize those props. As for 1:1 scale OT helmets, this has been my finest work.

The last eight years has been very enriching. I learned how to sculpt, developed powers of observation (a by-product of defending against bullying and debating in 20-page threads by some of the more interesting internet personalities in the hobby), and meeting Brian Muir who made the very sculpt we 40+ year olds fuss like 4 year olds over!

A few years back, Brian encouraged me in my sculpting to go the route of oil-based clays instead of the two-part expoxy clay route I had taken (that requires sanding, re-applying, re-sanding, ad nauseam). I'm eager to further develop these skills with other sci-fi characters - I'm a big Wolverine and Batman fan, for example, and I'm still learning how to sculpt human likenesses. Right now I'm working right now on Riddick.

I have a DS 20thC ESB.

And an eFX legend.

STILL LOVE these threads and watching these things take shape.

Jeez Louis you gots skill Mac. (And everyone involved!)

This is just borderline not believable its soo good!!!

The proof is in the pudding. I would suggest this as one of the top options ever for a collector looking for a top notch Vader!!!

Amazing what you have done here.

Just amazing.

Thank you, kind sir. That means a lot!

The last eight years has been very enriching. I learned how to sculpt, developed powers of observation (a by-product of defending against bullying and debating in 20-page threads by some of the more interesting internet personalities in the hobby), and meeting Brian Muir who made the very sculpt we 40+ year olds fuss like 4 year olds over!

A few years back, Brian encouraged me in my sculpting to go the route of oil-based clays instead of the two-part expoxy clay route I had taken (that requires sanding, re-applying, re-sanding, ad nauseam). I'm eager to further develop these skills with other sci-fi characters - I'm a big Wolverine and Batman fan, for example, and I'm still learning how to sculpt human likenesses. Right now I'm working right now on Riddick.

Absolutely! Mac I have read virtually all posts and threads not just here but at the Den as well on your sculpts and opinions.....enlightening when the bullying stops and the real vader questions are answered and pictorially shown in civil tones :)- Getting the nod from Brian in terms of yours abilities as a sculptor is 100% warranted imho.

I sincerely love CS's work (partially because I see some of my own OCD in him). So much care and effort, absolutely insane, and the fact that bookface does so well with it is nuts. I've been waiting for the ESB Quasimodo, mostly to replace my rubies convert for trooping, but I'd seriously consider the ANH too. Is it wrong that while I can see the v2 ANH is better, I still kind of prefer the v1? The rough touches just seem to ring better to me...

Anyways, gorgeous work, I'll def be in for the ESB and a set of armour when its out.

Happy13178,

Regarding your comment of preferring V1, I hear what you're saying, and I think it's okay to prefer one look to another. Although I described the differences between V1 and V2, maybe an actual photo comparison will make the differences more obvious.

quasimodo-v1-vs-v2_zps8e59c2d2.jpg

Now on the left is the V1. Nothing wrong with it aesthetically. Looks big, looks mean. But what's interesting back in the day when I was showing the V1 progress thread, and after completely resculpting the face that No Humor Man said it had a GH / Fiberdyne look to it. I didn't see it at the time, but more on this in a bit.

In the photo above, it may feel that the face is wider, and the V2 is narrower. In actuality, the V2 is actually the same width but given a slightly longer face and more elegant neck which alters the proportions and may come across as being slender overall. Side-by-side with an eFX faceplate, the Quasi V2 head is slightly wider than the eFX, borrowing again from V1's width, but the other proportions are quite close to the eFX. Moreover, the GH / Fiberdyne look of the V1 is gone in the V2.

Whether the V2 works better as ANH or not depends on the proportions of the dome, and dome positioning. The V2 ANH dome sculpt retains the handsome features of the V1 but the proportions are altered. Now with the above shot, you have a structural comparison. So with bookface's magic, this is how it appears:

quasimodo-v2-vs-v1-anh_zps9ff3ba7d.jpg

Please pardon the color balance as we are still learning about digital camera settings and all, but the V2 unintentionally is in a cooler range, which inadvertently (but in a cool way) mimics the color tone of the Tantive IV scene of ANH.

Given this comparison, the V1 still holds its own very solidly but now you can see the characteristics of the GH / Fyberdine which I added, and I even see it in the dome even though the dome does not have that lineage. With the V2 sculpt - if I may speak a bit on how I emotionally process it - I feel that the pieces aren't trying hard to mimic Vader. There is a kind of confidence and comfortable attitude as the faceplate and dome come together to recreate the look. It feels to me that the V2 is aesthetically more balanced. Some of this perception may be that the V1 photograph has the mask tilted a little to the 11 o'lock position.

When you then pair the V2 with armor (I made it so that they work as an aesthetic and functional whole - notice how well the neck of the faceplate goes with the armor's neckline while maintaining realistic looking posture and front-to-back weight balance) the character really comes to life:

quasimodo-v2-anh-with-bookface-armor_zps9fd631b3.jpg

So all in all, I'm not offended nor do I feel it weird in any way that you might like the V1 more. The V1 still represents a very long path of labor of love. The V2, for me, is a greater realization of that same dream to make a Vader look the way I see him in my head. :thumbsup

(Don't ask me why I see him in my head....) :D

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back