Tips for painting or recolouring 3D printed steel

Grigori

I’ve printed a belt buckle for a costume through shapeways in polished grey stainless steel. The colour is much darker and more matt than I expected from the sample images online (it looks like the matt black samples). In hindsight I should have chosen the plain stainless steel and dirtied that up in the recesses (I’m aiming for a colour/texture not unlike an infinity orb, with darker/dirtier recesses and brighter on the surface).

Im hesitant to apply a silver acrylic or anything like that, as seems a shame to go to the effort of printing in metal, to paint over with a basic metallic coloured paint. I really have no idea on how to proceed with this though as have never used a metal paint or anything similar. Can anyone give me some recommendations of methods, products, techniques, anything that might help me get a dirty sort of dull gloss silver/steel colour on the raised portions without reducing the real metal appearance?

Have you tried polishing it with something designed for metal? Maybe fine steel wool?

Thanks Mike! No I’ve not thought of polishing it, I think that could be useful though and help with the matt-ness. I’ll look into polishing, and how that may work with some painting or other colour adjusting

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back