Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

I still don't think Rey is a Skywalker. No way Han or especially Leia does not recognize her.

I'm pretty sure Han did recognize her.

When they're about to land on Takodana Rey has a line to the effect of not knowing there was so much green in the galaxy.
Han's face tells the tale. He looks like he genuinely feels bad for her, and not just in a poor sad random girl kinda way. There's a guilty cast to his face, like he knows her and feels terrible knowing that she had to grow up on Jakku (which is not to say he necessarily knew that she had been left there the whole time).

Then there's the cut away from Han's face right after Maz asks him "Who's the girl?"

You bet your ass he knows who she is.

I'm pretty sure Han did recognize her.

When they're about to land on Takodana Rey has a line to the effect of not knowing there was so much green in the galaxy.
Han's face tells the tale. He looks like he genuinely feels bad for her, and not just in a poor sad random girl kinda way. There's a guilty cast to his face, like he knows her and feels terrible knowing that she had to grow up on Jakku (which is not to say he necessarily knew that she had been left there the whole time).

Then there's the cut away from Han's face right after Maz asks him "Who's the girl?"

You bet your ass he knows who she is.

I disagree. If you watch that scene it's some pity and as he looks away he sort of raises his eyebrows a bit as if to say "huh, that's too bad." Nothing in that shows any recollection in my mind nor does any of his actual interactions with her before or after. Maz asks Han "Who's the girl?" and we cut away but he certainly didn't say "my kid" or "Luke's kid" otherwise why would may tell Rey after the Force vision that no one is coming back for her and she must look forward? It would have been an entirely different conversation.

I feel like I'm missing something. Where does ESB factor into it?

Someone quoted a theory saying everything in the vision wasn't a vision, but flashback of something she witnessed first hand - she was on bespin. Maybe i inferred the bespin part from the fact that part of the vision was supposed to be her witnessing the luke/vader fight there.

The only thing I recognized by anyone that might be a recognition of Rey was when Rey hugged Leia. Rey almost had a look of something like contentment or that it felt familiar. Maybe I was seeing something that wasn't there.

The hug with Leia and Rey does seem awkward considering they supposedly don't know each other, and is even more awkward with there being no interaction with Chewbacca which would be expected.

The hug with Leia and Rey does seem awkward considering they supposedly don't know each other, and is even more awkward with there being no interaction with Chewbacca which would be expected.

I sort of took this as each of them "knowing" what the other was feeling through the Force, (Leia being wiser in it, since she has been open to the Force for much longer) she knew that Rey would be confused and in pain and in need of consoling.

Look how Leia and Luke bonded once the knowledge that they both shared the Force was brought into the open.

I just put it down to the Force making an emotional and maybe even spiritual connection between Leia and Rey which pushed them together at that moment.

I sort of took this as each of them "knowing" what the other was feeling through the Force, (Leia being wiser in it, since she has been open to the Force for much longer) she knew that Rey would be confused and in pain and in need of consoling.

Look how Leia and Luke bonded once the knowledge that they both shared the Force was brought into the open.

I just put it down to the Force making an emotional and maybe even spiritual connection between Leia and Rey which pushed them together at that moment.

Yeah and as I said, I think a lot of this was just emotional beats and editorial choices, people are trying to read way too much into it.

It's inexplicable, within the context of the story. I give Kristen credit for trying, but it's inexplicable.

Since it made no sense in the story, I can only conclude that it was a contrivance which had nothing to do with the story. Wherein, the filmmakers said, "Hey, we've got to figure out a way to give Carrie and Daisy a poignant moment together. A pass-the-torch moment. Hmmm, well, why don't we have Leia console Rey after Han dies. Yeah, let's do that.". And then of course, all the sycophants in the room shouted, "YES! Brilliant idea!! That's a perfect way to establish a powerful connection between these two iconic female characters! BRAVO!!".

[Puke]

The Wook

I didn't find their embrace odd or out of place. It felt natural and reasonable that Leia would be aware of Rey and what Han likely meant to her. So it's a shared moment of grief. We saw Luke become very emotional at the death of his mentor who he knew for all of maybe 36 hours.

Nah, it's two strong female characters sharing an emotional moment on-screen. It can't possibly be story-related, it has to be insidious feminism being inserted into a boys film just to annoy The Wook.

And I won't apologise for my sarcasm, as I found Wook's 'puke' comment rather offensive.

JJ's most recent comment on it was that Chewie was looking after Finn, Leia felt Rey and her pain through th eForce and saw her standing by the Falcon's ramp all alone, and went to her. He admits he could have made that more clear -- and my impression is that Chewie being in the long shot with all the pilots celebrating after Finn was taken by the medics was just an on-set oversight (i.e., he wasn't supposed to have been in that particular shot, but it got lost in the other footage they were shooting at that location that day).

--Jonah

Wow, this is pretty neat! The original story boarded opening.

https://youtu.be/48cc5nvsZ_c

Coolio. Interesting comment from Benjamin Flynn, a digital artist for LucasFilm (ILM, I would think):

"Seriously nice job on this, to have been done by yourself is impressive....most impressive. This scene you recreated actually was 3/4 completed, there were a few test "audiences" comprising about 40 of the digital artists (I was one of them) and producers. The reason they didn't go for the original opening was due to JJ's concern over making the "Empire/First Order" look like anything other than a galaxy crushing monstrosity. After reflecting on various aspects of the script, he decided he didn't want any scenes showing any weakness on the part of the "Empire/First Order", especially at the beginning of the movie. I've worked on every Mouse SW film as well as quite a few other flicks as a Digital Artist for Lucas. I've decided to leave Lucas for another well known SFX company after I complete my work on "Solo" due to my personal opinions regarding what the Mouse is doing to my childhood. My bosses at Lucas know my feelings, there are quite a few of us who feel the same as I do. But at the end of the day, the Mouse owns SW now, they can do what they like with it regardless of what I or anyone else's think about it. I'm just tired of being complicit with the pernicious Mouse who couldn't care less about the quality of these films, they just want lots of flash to separate the proverbial "fool from his money". I assume you're a big fan of SW, and you're obviously talented, so I'll give you a heads up here without going into any specific details; If you were disappointed with TLJ like many other fans, don't see "Solo". If you hated TLJ, trust me when I tell you that "Solo" is going to make TLJ look like (insert favorite movie here). Honestly, don't waste your time or money going to see "Solo", wait for it to come out on HBO, STARZ, Showtime, etc. I haven't seen the final edit yet, just the scenes I've worked on. Given my experience with the last 3 Mouse SW movies and getting to see the final edit a week or 2 before the theatrical release, "Solo" is going to be an utter POS. Seriously, it's going to be an abomination. If you don't believe that I've worked on the Mouse SW movies, you can find my name in the credits of all of them including "Solo", plus quite a few others : "Benjamin Flynn" (Digital Artist for Lucas). If you've done this entirely by yourself, keep it up, I'd wager you could get hired by many of the Bigger Name Companies with very little difficulty. Hakuna Matata and Cheers Bru."

Last edited by a moderator:
Bryan any more info on what we are actually seeing? Rebels towing old star destroyers to a junkyard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coolio. Interesting comment from Benjamin Flynn, a digital artist for LucasFilm (ILM, I would think):

"Seriously nice job on this, to have been done by yourself is impressive....most impressive. This scene you recreated actually was 3/4 completed, there were a few test "audiences" comprising about 40 of the digital artists (I was one of them) and producers. The reason they didn't go for the original opening was due to JJ's concern over making the "Empire/First Order" look like anything other than a galaxy crushing monstrosity. After reflecting on various aspects of the script, he decided he didn't want any scenes showing any weakness on the part of the "Empire/First Order", especially at the beginning of the movie. I've worked on every Mouse SW film as well as quite a few other flicks as a Digital Artist for Lucas. I've decided to leave Lucas for another well known SFX company after I complete my work on "Solo" due to my personal opinions regarding what the Mouse is doing to my childhood. My bosses at Lucas know my feelings, there are quite a few of us who feel the same as I do. But at the end of the day, the Mouse owns SW now, they can do what they like with it regardless of what I or anyone else's think about it. I'm just tired of being complicit with the pernicious Mouse who couldn't care less about the quality of these films, they just want lots of flash to separate the proverbial "fool from his money". I assume you're a big fan of SW, and you're obviously talented, so I'll give you a heads up here without going into any specific details; If you were disappointed with TLJ like many other fans, don't see "Solo". If you hated TLJ, trust me when I tell you that "Solo" is going to make TLJ look like (insert favorite movie here). Honestly, don't waste your time or money going to see "Solo", wait for it to come out on HBO, STARZ, Showtime, etc. I haven't seen the final edit yet, just the scenes I've worked on. Given my experience with the last 3 Mouse SW movies and getting to see the final edit a week or 2 before the theatrical release, "Solo" is going to be an utter POS. Seriously, it's going to be an abomination. If you don't believe that I've worked on the Mouse SW movies, you can find my name in the credits of all of them including "Solo", plus quite a few others : "Benjamin Flynn" (Digital Artist for Lucas). If you've done this entirely by yourself, keep it up, I'd wager you could get hired by many of the Bigger Name Companies with very little difficulty. Hakuna Matata and Cheers Bru."

FYI, this is a fake, it wasn’t posted by the actual Benjamin Flynn.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back