OWK Technical Journal Lightsaber

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone,

So, it may seem weird. But, I've been finding myself, lately, feeling a little bit nostaligic for late 90s Star Wars stuff. This was the era when I first started reading all the EU books, first started hearing about speculation for a possible SW prequel trilogy, and first got into prop replicating. With that in mind, I drew up a 3d model of the OWK saber from the SW Techinical Journals.

I don't know if you guys remember these books. But when I was younger, these were my favorite magazines. They had, what I then though were, amazing blueprints of the original lightsabers from the films. And I remember taking these blueprints to high school metal shop, to try and replicate on my own. This was my first, unfinished prop build.

OWK tj.jpg

OWK tj2.jpg

I've got a soft spot for these props, inaccurate though they are. Anyone else?

It was an exciting time to be a fan. Especially considering it was the end of the dark period and we were going to be getting what we hoped would be amazing prequels. I too look back on that era with fondness, taking in any new Star Wars material my teenage mind could absorb.

I remember these magazines! and I hadn't remembered that specific blueprint until I read this...wow...

It's because of this magazine that my ANH Graflex had six grips for 22 years, until this past year! I also had a Heiland based Vader from issue 2. Now know to be way off, at the time I was amped to have it until some jerk stole it from a party my roommate had.

Yep, I still have those magazines somewhere. Loved looking at those blueprints. I think one even had an ad for the Icons saber which I drooled over for the longest time.

I remember seeing the Icons Luke Skywalker saber ad in a Star Wars Insider magazine (used to have a subscription years ago), and it blew my mind! That was probably the same year I found the original Replica Prop Bulletin Board Site. '97? '98?

Oh, yes! My scratchbuilt Skywalker saber was based heavily on the Technical Journal blueprints.

SWTJ-based saber.JPG

I changed some details on purpose, misunderstood other parts completely, and it's seen some repairs since then, but this saber wouldn't have happened without that nice 1:1 diagram to check it against.

I wish they'd put out more of those Technical Journals. They were pretty cool, and there's been a lot of hardware to "journal about" since then.

Oh, yes! My scratchbuilt Skywalker saber was based heavily on the Technical Journal blueprints.

View attachment 700327

I changed some details on purpose, misunderstood other parts completely, and it's seen some repairs since then, but this saber wouldn't have happened without that nice 1:1 diagram to check it against.

I wish they'd put out more of those Technical Journals. They were pretty cool, and there's been a lot of hardware to "journal about" since then.

now that is wicked cool! how long ago did you make that?!

Gosh, I remember those. I particularly remember the Heiland Vader. When I got my first Synchronar off of eBay, I was totally taken back when I saw the bulb release mechanism and hex endcap.

I, too, remember coveting the Icons saber. I think I saw an ad in a Skymall magazine or something during a flight and wanted one soooo badly after that.

now that is wicked cool! how long ago did you make that?!

Glad you like it! I built that saber in the mid-late 1990s. I've got the 1994 edition of that Technical Journal and the 1996 special editions of the other two, so it was somewhere in that period for sure. I should probably put up a thread about it...take some more pictures, now that this thread has inspired me to finally finish some repairs it was awaiting.

I remember mine, had a super shiny (maybe holographic) cover on it. Was the first time I was able to really understand what OB1's saber was like, since it's seen so quickly in ANH.

oh my gosh, I forgot about the nail/wire running from the clamp to booster section in those drawings!

I brought that up elsewhere at some point-- I think Shane Johnson caught a glimpse of the V2 long lever from an odd angle in a low quality image and discerned that detail.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back