Sail barge saber in March 2017 WIRED magazine?

The 48th Ronin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has this saber been accounted for before?

Wired 001.jpg

Wired 002.jpg

I looked for the article on the wired.com website (it's about screen-used prop collecting), but it isn't up there... so I pulled a scan from the magazine.

I'm guessing it could be this one?

DSC01476Large.jpg

Well, that one's got a nippled emitter.

Could it be the one that R2 shot up into the air, that showed up on eBay a few years ago?

It is. I see the chip in the emitter, and the black paint on the booster. the graflex clamp is on upside down, and thats not the V2 circuit board or clamp.this is a casting of either the shared stunt in its original form or something else. Holt crap.

- - - Updated - - -

The clamp is also slid a bit too high, leaving a gap near the booster.

Equally interesting is that this is a copy of the SS/V3. So that means that the resin copies were definitively of the V3, with nipple at the time, and that the clamp it currently sports was sourced during the filming of RotJ. So that means that these resin ones were made just for RotJ. I know there was some talk whether or not there were resin copies made for ANH or not.

And that means the resin saber on the Sail Barge shows the exact location of the third hole on the back of the clamp.

Also, does the circuit card look like an edge connector to anybody else? I think I can make out rounded tips and faint traces of lines on the "board".

Looks like they molded the SS/V3 clamp and all - the clamp *is* upside down, you can see evidence of one of the holes through the clamp, and look at that big chunk broken out of the corner of the clamp:

View attachment 712121
thankyou!

the shared stunt...given the interesting pattern on the control box (a line about 2/3 across the clamp) it almost looks like there was a different card in there than whats in there now.

- - - Updated - - -

So that means that these resin ones were made just for RotJ. I know there was some talk whether or not there were resin copies made for ANH or not.

we don't quite know this yet-

it still has the same clamp! not sure when the molds were made

To me, the edge connector looks like the one from the V2. I can't be sure, though.

But yeah, I saw the hole in the clamp and now that I see the chunk out of the emitter, I'm convinced it was the hilt R2 shot.

Definitely a SS casting, though!

I believe there's enough evidence for me that I would be willing to bet that these molds were made for RotJ.

To me, the edge connector looks like the one from the V2. I can't be sure, though...

I don't know if it's from the V2, exactly, but I would think that it came from the same board the one in the V2 was cut from.

Last edited:
Hold on, what if this specific orientation was the inspiration for the Hero? The clamp being pushed up leaves a nice channel around the circumference right beneath the control box! this also includes a "clamp" flush with the ridge underneath the clamp. :)LFA_LukeHero_controlbox.jpg

I was thinking that, too. It just may be that the Hero/Yuma was based off of the resin stunt of the SS/V3. The timeline I'm forming in my mind makes sense that it would be. The ILM prop department makes the mold of the SS/V3, there needs to be metal fencing stunt(s), they've already got the resin casts, and machine the Yumas based off of what they have on hand and paint them to match or look similarly.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back