Revell Star Destroyer- Simple Mods

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
Giving this kit a chance since I've read so much good stuff about it. I started out by gluing all the flappy landing gear in place and filling those in. Pretty straight forward there.

The major mod I did was fix the angle of the bridge. As built, the bridge is parallel to the trench, it should be parallel to the superstructure. I removed the sliver in the picture below. This angles the down just right.

20zy8g4.jpg

Next, I opened this area up so the front of the neck could drop down a bit. Keep in mind that this brings the bridge a bit closer to the superstructure, but it still looks good.

2vrwn7p.jpg

Looks much better so far!

15q6m52.jpg

For this build, I'm only lighting the main engines. I'll keep the tedious fiber optic work for the larger Zvezda kit that's coming my way. So with that, I have the engines wired with 5mm white LEDs.

2q9jv9c.jpg

Stand is also mocked up. The wood base is just temporary for now. I still have to decide what to do with it.

2vs47ic.jpg

All in all pretty happy with this kit. It's growing on me and will tide me over until the Big Z arrives!

2d7h9pu.jpg

2w6ys03.jpg

nxwghz.jpg

Stay tuned for light test tonight. As far as the paint goes, I'm thinking grey primer followed by Tamiya fine white primer. Maybe a dark grey wash to finish it off.

Looking good.

I'm doing Gundamhead's mod to widen the trenches (as seen on Starship Modeller). It really is a nice kit for the price.

I got mine on Amazon when they went on sale for $14.95.

I may widen the trench. That would also mean widening the engine block as well. Still early though....

Engine lighting test. Ditched the included electronics and replaced with 5mm white LEDs. This is as far as I'll go on this. Saving the fiber optic work for the Big Z.

f4i7ap.jpg

t0nfcw.jpg

2a91vu1.jpg

Laid down some Duplicolor primer the other day. Started the masking this morning. Once that is done I'll shoot it with flat white and remove the masks. Once that is dry I'll shoot it again with flat white to blend the grey panels in.

208uvt4.jpg

10mizb9.jpg

Not screen accurate, just my own whimsy.

2ia39zk.jpg

14ky040.jpg

What are you using for the masks, is it just plain masking tape?

I was thinking the same thing this morning, lay down a bluish coat and then take a page from the Aztec mapping club, instead of painting the alternate color after.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back